[FIXED] rb04 weirdness

WelshZeCorgi

there are a few oddities ive noticed in the rb04.

1. Sometimes the missiles just flat out fails to lock on, passing within 100m of a target clearly in its sensor cone.

2. AI launched rb 04 popup in terminal phase like a tomahawk. Thought they didnt do that.

3. sometimes player and ai launched rb04 simply crash into the sea either a few meters before target to half a kilometer from target. (they were not shot down, were launched against weaponless ships.

not 100% sure these are bugs, maybe theyre weapon failures models, but i dont know.

there are a few oddities ive noticed in the rb04.

1. Sometimes the missiles just flat out fails to lock on, passing within 100m of a target clearly in its sensor cone.

2. AI launched rb 04 popup in terminal phase like a tomahawk. Thought they didnt do that.

3. sometimes player and ai launched rb04 simply crash into the sea either a few meters before target to half a kilometer from target. (they were not shot down, were launched against weaponless ships.

not 100% sure these are bugs, maybe theyre weapon failures models, but i dont know.

#2 - I know they did have an active evasion phase prior to impact to avoid CIWS, but not sure if that evasion is vertical and horizontal or just horizontal.

What we need is a former Swedish armaments technician to spill the beans!

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

Do you use Group mode on those? Because that only works on the depth axis, not the horizontal axis. If you use this mode and the ships are sailing behind each other from left to right or vice versa then both missiles fail.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Do you use Group mode on those? Because that only works on the depth axis, not the horizontal axis. If you use this mode and the ships are sailing behind each other from left to right or vice versa then both missiles fail.

I may have. I tested on the embargo single mission.

We were three who got the same error today.

RB-04 missed 75% of the time. Going straight between the boats.

I also noticed three bugs with the RB-15F. First they don't track either. Not with BX 7,8 and 9 points or without.

Secondly they release in AKAN instead of ATTACK (after a while).

And thirdly, the airplane explodes after launching a RB-15F (for A.I).

SM0MSxX.png

1ntE0Dk.png

WwfZvay.png

Edited by ikonane

rb04 weirdness

Ikonane, the ships need to be in a line _in depth_ for the Rb04 to lock onto them in Grupp-mode. As for the other things could you maybe provide a track?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

You may already be doing this, but what turned the RB 04 from question mark to consistent for me was making sure I had no rotation, with vector right on horizon, for about a second before each launch until just after.

I hope someone can help you make these work, the weapons are fun and it's a rush delivering them from supersonic <10m above the ocean

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I hope someone can help you make these work, the weapons are fun and it's a rush delivering them from supersonic <10m above the ocean

The release envelope of the Rb04 is 50-425 meters .. 10 m is definitely too low.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The release envelope of the Rb04 is 50-425 meters .. 10 m is definitely too low.

You’re absolutely right, it’s been way too long since I last flew the Viggen. I did blow myself up a few times not waiting until I was 50m above :doh:

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Ikonane, the ships need to be in a line _in depth_ for the Rb04 to lock onto them in Grupp-mode. As for the other things could you maybe provide a track?

Put this up the other day:

(The audio was a problem, so sorry about that) but this covered just about everything regarding the RB04E I could find.

(Edit, I totally hit the wrong quote button... )

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

• 11 months later...

I'd like to verify my understanding of how the RB-04E behaves.

According to the manual, as soon as they are launched, they descend to 10 m above sea level (ASL) and then proceed to fying in the same direction as the launch vehicl (unless a radar fix has been made on the target waypoint).

So it is not possible to launch RB-04s while flying overland because the ground altitude is almost certain to be 10 m ASL. Is the reasoning correct?

BTW, how does the missile determine what is the MSL? Does it follow the same QFE setting as the launching platform?

If the answer to the previous question is positive: if the launching platform's QFE is set to a value that reads 0 meters on the altimeter at the level of the highest ground protuberance (e.g. 200 m ASL) on the missile's path (before reaching the sea), will the missile descend to 210 m ASL instead of 10 m?

If the answer to the previous question is positive: it follows that from the missile's perspective ASL will be high enough to let it fly overland without crashing before reaching the sea. But, will the active seeker still be able to detect the enemy ships since from the missile's perspective, they will be 200 under the sea level?

Thanks for your help.

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Rb04 always fly straight ahead, a target waypoint or not wont have any effect. And they have radar altimeters. Rb15 does an terminal evasive maneuver, Rb04 don’t.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Rb04 always fly straight ahead, a target waypoint or not wont have any effect. And they have radar altimeters. Rb15 does an terminal evasive maneuver, Rb04 don’t.

Interesting, because a few weeks ago I launched two RB04 over land on a ship that was parked at the coast and the RB04s immediately disappeared into the ground. It wasn't even very high ground, just the flat dessert of the VAE. I was launching at 50m AGL. :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Interesting, because a few weeks ago I launched two RB04 over land on a ship that was parked at the coast and the RB04s immediately disappeared into the ground. It wasn't even very high ground, just the flat dessert of the VAE. I was launching at 50m AGL. :huh:

This is what happened to me yesterday except I launched from a higher AGL altitude but there were small hills on the path of the missile to thr ships.

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

I made a track and a video showing what's going on with an overland launch of the RB-04 (it goes straight to the ground as if it had no radar altimeter).

Over hilly terrain:

Please, see this video :

Over flat land:

And the TRK files attached to this post.

Is it a bug or is it normal?

RB-04E_test_hilly_terrain.trk

RB-04E_test_flat_land.trk

I made a track and a video showing what's going on with an overland launch of the RB-04 (it goes straight to the ground as if it had no radar altimeter).

Yeah, that's the exact same behaviour I experienced as well. If the RB-04E is using radar elevation, this shouldn't happen.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just launched the RB-04E over the sea and it works. Both cargo ships were taken down. So I guess the terrain following feature of the missile is not working.

It's not really terrain following, which would scan ahead with a dedicated terrain following radar (TFR), but just a simple radio altimeter that checks the altitude above ground directly below the missile. But yeah, it isn't working over land, not even over a flat dessert near the coastline. Ragnar?

Tornado3 small.jpg