Dogfighting tips for a noob?

Quad32

Seriously, I just cant fight in this thing, even against much weaker AI opponents...

I am aware of the AoA limitations and the fact that the thing bleeds speed in turns like crazy, but I still cannot manage to get on my opponents tail, even when I try to throw it around aggressively.

Any help?

Stay fast, wait for openings, and use hit and run tactics. You can kind of turn with a F5, at least in climbing turns, but I don’t recommend it. Keep your speed.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Fight in the vertical. Use 4 not 6 aa60s

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The R-60 is much more manoeuvrable and mostly the go-to choice when you expect a hectic fight.

The R-13(M1) has a longer range and - if I'm not mistaken - a larger warhead, thus making it the better choice if you can surprise a target.

ah ok, thx for the tip. i would always load up 4 r-60s and 2 r-3rs. quick question, which is the better heatseeker the r-60 or the r-13m1 atoll?

“Better” comes down to personal preference. I prefer the R-13 because of the longer range and larger warhead. For me, the R-60 frequently requires 2x hits to bring down another aircraft. Some people like the R-60 because it is more maneuverable and they can carry more. Try both and see which one better fits your style of fighting.

“Better” comes down to personal preference. I prefer the R-13 because of the longer range and larger warhead. For me, the R-60 frequently requires 2x hits to bring down another aircraft. Some people like the R-60 because it is more maneuverable and they can carry more. Try both and see which one better fits your style of fighting.

will do, thx dude

SPEED!!

This is the key when fighting in pretty much any delta wing. It can turn very, very tightly, but will lose a shitload of airspeed in the process. You can use this off course, when the oppertunity arrises, but as you can imagine it has it's risks.

Keep you airspeed up, make use of it's power to weight ratio. Strap as few a missiles on-board as you dare. As has been said, doubling up on a pylon significantly increases drag.

I can't win against an AI MiG-21bis by conventional means. His sustained G is higher than mine at identical configuration. Scissors the AI can be beat and the AI is bad at interacting with the ground.

F-4E though you can win if you just keep at it. You really don't want to leave the 480-750 km/h band in conventional turning. Higher speeds are desirable with lower acceptable at the top of vertical maneuvers (250 is about minimum over the top).

The SUA lights are a good reference in a hurry. The UUA-1 is the next best reference and should be consulted often. Lastly the airspeed gauge should be glanced at from time to time.

28 should be used when airspeed is growing beyond 800km/h or maximum turn is needed regardless of drag penalty. 22 is a firm turn which will normally decrease energy. Sustained is near or even below 15 by the gauge.

R-60 is objectively superior for turning fight. Warhead size is meaningless if it misses. R-13 great for intercepts. R-60 great for turning fights. Even if you degrade hm 10% performance that's more than enough to win shortly after.

I'm just sinking my teeth into the Mig-21, done the training missions but no "real" fight. However, I already foresee a potential problem with dogfighting. I can turn gently and keep my speed up, but the cockpit visibility isn't exactly great and high speed hit and run inevitably ends up with the target behind you at a fair distance. This is made worse by VR spotting. In one training mission I had to use the F10 map to find a target that spawned slightly behind me, I turned towards it and didn't see it until I nearly hit it.

How am I supposed to keep sight of enemies when I'm zooming away and trying to set up for another pass? Any techniques for how I should manoeuvre and where I should keep my target so I can see them?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

I have, first time I hopped on there, my first kill was with the R-3R

Congrats. Quick poll, who uses sar missiles on the cold war server and who just takes ir missiles. Does using the radar leave you at a tactical disadvantage and should I just rely on bogey dope to search.

Congrats. Quick poll, who uses sar missiles on the cold war server and who just takes ir missiles. Does using the radar leave you at a tactical disadvantage and should I just rely on bogey dope to search.

Depending on the mission, I usually load 2xR-60M, 1xR-13M-1, 1xR-3R. Fly high radar on and let the F-5s come to you.

If you attack a old fighter (Gen 3) "HOT" form you in 4000m or more, radar ON, use R-3R "FOX 1" Missile, lock at +- 20km, shot at 7km.

Give you a good advantage from a F-5E with AIM-9P, because face to face he can shot only at +- 4km

Remember:

FOX 1 MISSILE get is max range for a target in HOT position from you

FOX 2 MISSILE get is max range for a target in COLD or FLANKING position from you

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]