Export.lua massive performance cost

mhe

Hi,

I've been using Helios (and recently Ikarus) for a while now and I've always known that it has some impact on performance. So I decided to test a Touchscreen setup vs non touchscreen.

The touchscreen setup performs somewhere between 30-45fps most of the time with settings maxed, VSync off, FXAA via nvidia control panel and CaptZeen's glorious export.lua. Works fine with all his profiles.

Now I disabled the exports, removed the secondary render ports from the aircraft modules, resized the res from 3840*3240 (1080p touch below 4k screen) down to native 4k 1 Screen and tried again. FPS were now between 70 and 110 but never below 60 so I can run 60 with VSync on all day.

I also noticed a marked increase in texture quality on the terrain, distant textures don't appear as blurry anymore.

Ctrl+Pause for FPS and load data reveals that without exports, LUA CPU load is below 1% at all times while with Helios or Ikarus it is up to 70% which seems to be the culprit.

Given that I run a fairly speedy 10-core CPU, is there anything I can do to distribute that load more effectively or is the LUA stuff processed by the main thread and hence makes me run into bottlenecks?

The LUA CPU load for the DCS Exporter bundled with Ikarus is pretty much the same, probably a 5% difference from CaptZeen's exporter.

1.5.8 also had performance loss when using Helios but I can't say if it was as severe since I uninstalled it already.

Edited by mhe
Adding Ikarus info

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone? :(

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 4 months later...

Thread back from the dead! I think I have the same issue, i'm using Ikarus for the A10C and reverting back to Helios for Su27-33 since I just bought FC3.

When I switched from 2.1 OA to 2.5B I noticed a big performance hit. Thought it was something else until I messed up my export.lua path and things suddenly were so smooth it gave me a vertigo!

Not sure if there is anything that can be done, but I'll try confirming nonetheles...

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Glad that there is someone out there sharing the experience!

I wasn't using OB at the time of 2.1, I only started using it again for 2.5 so I can't say what caused it. All I know is that at some point in time, the LUA stuff started to cause a massive performance hit making using stuff like Helios a lot less viable than it used to be. And that is a bummer, because I freakin LOVE Helios.

• 1 month later...

I've been using DCS for over a year now and decided to take it to the next step and bought a touchscreen. I have Helios 1.3.190 installed and CapLoz A-10C profile (Loz SM v2.1) but have not gone further in terms of connecting it to DCS. I can figure out the monitor config lua easy enough but was wondering if I am headed in the right direction with file versions and any advice you guys might have before I go further.

Also, what is Ikarus? Worth looking into?

• 1 year later...

I haven't played DCS (UH1) in since August /September. I was very happy with how it was running then.

But I came back to it recently and my performance has been terrible, (stuttering and fluctuating FPS, very choppy TrackIR panning). I deleted my SavedGames\DCS World folder and when it was recreated I got a lot of FPS back (about 20 - 30). Through some experimentation I discovered it was being caused by the Scripts folder (Helios).

It seems I can no longer use Helios, but I don't understand why. What has changed? When I started using Helios last summer I didn't noticed any decrease in FPS. :(

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On