New 49" Samsung Gaming Monitor

So, you ignored the title and the text in the OP altogether.

No, I read it but obviously excluded that "monitor" in my brain, things happen.

I am more turned off by the ratio for DCS and no Gsync then the rest of its specs.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 1 year later...

Apparently some software coding allows g-sync to be used on certain types of freesync monitors (compatible list on nvidia website) although works on more than stated by nvidia. Not sure how it compares to a pure g-sync built-in monitor.

PS I'm very interested in the latest higher res samsung qled 49 incher, could be a big improvement over the 2018 monitor version.

I do VR primarily but I do display on my home theater on a 82" Samsung QLED 4K HDR TV. It looks great if not a bit large. Very low input lag and FreeSync support plus high motion rate.

MzrQBZ1.jpg

mQ9fDgd.jpg

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

PS I'm very interested in the latest higher res samsung qled 49 incher, could be a big improvement over the 2018 monitor version.

This one?

https://wccftech.com/samsung-crg9-49-ultrawide-gaming-monitor/

Yeah, since the 49" screen is basically two 27" panels put next to each other, the original 1080p resolution was definitely too low.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

My Sony BRAVIA does a half decent job in sim with it's built in Motionflow 200Hz

Still no where near my ASUS 144Hz 1ms.

So your tv does 200Hz or sorta does it. But you only get 69FPS which makes that rather pointless and which is exactly what I wanted to say about 144Hz gaming monitors. Might be nice for FPS shooters, but anyone who flies DCS and can maintain such high framerates, is not pushing his settings high enough, doesnt have enough monitors or should really look in to buying a VR set ;)

That is one nice big monitor! I would definitely consider it if they make a G-Sync version.

Im not sold on ultrawide form factor. Its just a very cheap way to advertise enormous diagonal sizes for monitors that really are not that big.

I have three 16:9 monitors myself, primarily for productivity. But in flight sims, this setup doesnt really work. The way my monitors are positioned, similar to a curved monitor, I dont really get to see to my sides, I just get a wide aspect ratio, similar to the one monitor you linked just a bit more extreme. What that means is that with zoom levels that make sense (not seeing wingtips on 45 degree angles in front of me), I lack downward visibility to my instruments and upward visibility when dogfighting. To solve that, I would actually need to buy one or ideally three more monitors and position them above my current monitors. But guess what, when you have 6x 16:9s arranged like that, I might as well have a single much larger 21:9 tv/monitor and not have to suffer the bezels!

Extreme aspect ratio achieved through multiple monitors IMO only makes sense if you can arrange them close enough and angled enough so they surround you. Then you can zoom out and have your wingtips rendered on your 9 and 3 oclock, instead of 11 and 1. Extreme aspect ratio on a single monitor (that can not curve around you *), doesnt make sense for flight sims period. Its like you would have a 55" TV and then cardboard over the upper and lower parts of the TV because somehow, thats better?

Reminds me of Top Gear where Clarkson taped over the windshield of his "battle truck" to make it look cooler:

image.png

* even if the monitor did curve around you, then you would run in to severe projection distortion issues when rendering a single viewport. Games are rendered to be projected on flat surfaces, not curved ones. With the mild curve ratios of most monitors you probably wouldnt really notice, but once you really get enough curvature that it makes sense, like when using a beamer on a curved 180 screen, you actually need warping software or it looks completely wrong.

Edited by Vertigo72

My Sony BRAVIA does a half decent job in sim with it's built in Motionflow 200Hz

Still no where near my ASUS 144Hz 1ms.

Older pic before 2.1

attachment.php?attachmentid=164190&stc=1&d=1497352367

Got the same setup and im not complaining 43" for the price i paid second-hand also have a 2k ips EG monitor and thast nice too but that for FPS.:book:

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

TVs generally have a lot slower processors, and you get a huge delay between when you press a button and the screen actually showing it... your average PC monitor has around a 4ms delay, your average TV has between a 20 and 50ms delay

With respect, the OP is not refering to a TV. He is referring to a yet to be released* very high end PC monitor with 5120 x 1440 resolution driven by Display Port 1.4. It is effectively 2x 27" 1440p 140Hz gaming monitors (with excellent / accurate colour reproduction) side by side, but without a screen bezel down the middle.

* Yet to be released in Europe that is... expected later this month, but it is already available in South Korea.

I currently use a 5120x2880 60Hz monitor, but I am considering getting one of these 5120x1440 120Hz monitors for DCS. And it will come in useful for productivity too. Just not sure I want to downgrade pixel density to 1440p...

Thanks. I got two GC. 3 outputs per card. This gives me an extra screen if needed. :P

That is actually a good use case / requirement for 2 GPUs. Nice set up!

And for the people commenting about Freesync only and not GSync, nVidia GPUs are now unofficially supporting FreeSync monitors so in practical terms you have nothing to worry about. (It is just to be called GSync officially the monitor OEMs need to pay a royalty to nVidia. AMD is less greedy with FreeSync.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't go all batshit on me, but doesn't a curved screen introduce all kinds of visual distortion issues? If money were no object, I'd build a full-motion sim in the garage! LOL

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't go all batshit on me, but doesn't a curved screen introduce all kinds of visual distortion issues?

With the large curvature radius of most screens, you hardly notice. But indeed, the projection is incorrect and will distort. The smaller the bend radius, the bigger the problem.

I recently build a simpit for condor (a glider simulator) at my club, and used a 55" curved 4K tv for that, because, well it was the same price as a flat one, and I figured if I cant do multiple beamers on a curved 180 screen, at least it will be something a little like it.

On hindsight, that was pointless and if anything, inferior to a flat screen because there are some projection issues (although pretty minor), its harder for bystanders to view it properly and the screen needs to be perfectly aligned to the viewer both horizontally and vertically and on both axis or it looks even weirder.

You can solve the projection mismatch by using warping software like fly-elise. Thats worth it when you use (multiple) beamers on a curved projection screen, but its so overkill for a single almost-flat display, that its silly. The software is rather expensive and processor intensive.

Anyway, as long as games dont support cylindrical projection, curved screens seem pointless to me. Either the curvature is so small it doesnt really add anything to the immersion, or if it is curved sharply, then the incorrect projection becomes noticeable.