Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #41
Ranma13

Reputation power: 5
Ranma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Yeah, but those fixed on-off switches are only two-position ones, right?

As a simpler solution to implement, perhaps a much bigger rotary encoder positioned close to the throttle grip with labeled e.g. 5 to 7 positions could be added to the board? It would mimic the real-life mode selectors on various DCS planes (e.g. the Su-27 or the MiG-29, the radar mode selector on the F-15, the MiG-21 weapon selector, etc.)
The FC3 aircraft don't support multi-position switches (or even latching toggle switches) because the control bindings only allow you to toggle the switch position. For example, there's a gear toggle binding, but no gear up/gear down binding. Same with the AoA limiter switch in the Su-27. A multi-position rotary switch for the FC3 aircraft would be near-useless.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #42
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 29
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1 View Post
Just don't assign any functions to the buttons on the throttle, and you have a "WWII throttle".
Not really, what will make difference in "WWII Throttle" * is the presence of extra levers for control Propeller Pitch, Mixture, Radiator's, what lack in any "jet" throttle, so just don't assign functions for HAt's corners will don't make a "jet" throttle a WW II throttle.

To be practical this require a dedicated solution, as space flight games require their own.

One can use one or other model for all this games variations, but not in the ideal way.

For now the more appropriated solutions for this "problem" is GVL224 "mechanics" and Kantori "consoles"- based on GVL224 mechanics/electronics, but with a more cool look.

http://www.kanttorinkone.com/consoles.html
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploa...1507241409.jpg

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 10-17-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #43
dburne
Veteran

Reputation power: 23
dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

I much prefer to have plenty of buttons and axis available to me, then I can assign as many or as few commands as I want depending on the module will be flying.

I have been using Warthog throttle along with CH Throttle Quadrant, this new Virpil offering looks like may fit the bill nicely for me.

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz| EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite |VPC Mongoose |Warthog Throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #44
Dudikoff

Reputation power: 31
Dudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma13 View Post
The FC3 aircraft don't support multi-position switches (or even latching toggle switches) because the control bindings only allow you to toggle the switch position. For example, there's a gear toggle binding, but no gear up/gear down binding. Same with the AoA limiter switch in the Su-27.
There actually is a separate gear up/down binding option (besides the gear toggle option). For those controls that don't have a separate one, one can get around it in some of the more advanced HOTAS programming software, e.g. in Target (you'd just have to initialize the internal states correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma13 View Post
A multi-position rotary switch for the FC3 aircraft would be near-useless.
I showed an example of a mode-selector switch in the real Su-27 (which more or less matches the key commands 1-7) for which 6 or 7 position rotary on a throttle would fit perfectly. How would that be 'near-useless' exactly?

IMHO, it's actually exactly the opposite and it would be perfect for FC3 aircraft where each aircraft has all or at least some of these modes, even if the real aircraft works differently.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 10-17-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #45
TheHendrix

Reputation power: 0
TheHendrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
[...]
1. The cover itself isn't bindable - but this could be added!
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
This is important, although a "real" switch cover may don't command nothing, in game this avoid press a extra key/button in planes that require lift the cover to toggle the switch under, e.g. Mig-21 drag chute.

Is similar to the button that VKB incorporates in MCG foldable trigger when moving this trigger for safety position (up), will fill the need of some planes, e.g. Ka-50, Mig-15, Bf 109... "locking or unlocking" their guns.

BTW - Nice throttle, congratulations for the announcement.
Sokol nailed why it would be nice to habe a bindable cover. There are many modules that have guarded switches or buttons (e.g. Mirage's Jettison Switch, F-5's Master Arm Switch etc.). I think it would be quite beneficial to the often cited "immersion" to be able to bind a switch-guard to its proper counterpart on the throttle quadrant instead of to a different switch altogether.
On a similar note the folding trigger on the T-50 is possibly the only thing that I think could be improved upon and this simply (I say this even though I have no clue how difficult this actually is from a technical standpoint ) by adding a bindable-action when flipping it down/up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
[...]
Yes we'll be making a throttle dust cover!
[...]
Most requests have been for the thumb - so it's where we're looking to put it.
[...]
Quote:
May add some cost in the model, but with don't make the mini-stick and the front HAT (for mini-stick place) with same format and allow "Greek and Trojans" exchange then without dismantle the grip as he want?

IMO - I guess that thumb finger has better motor control than middle/index finger, but will the ones that want "realism" over convenience .
Again I'm pretty much with Sokol on this one. The option to choose (wether by changing it oneself or by being able to choose the position when ordering) would really be nice.

To add to this I would like to repeat a point that another user made (don't remember if it was here or on reddit): with the ministick under the index finger it is possible to actuate radio/cms/etc. with the thumb all the while manipulating the TDC/slew/whatever-space-sim-related-thing making multi-tasking somewhat easier. This would not be possible with a side-mounted ministick as the thumb would be "busy" with the TDC/slew/etc.
Also it would be quite fitting to have this Hornet-style layout with the TDC under the index.

While I'm at it: regardless of where the ministick is located I would like to suggest adding a push to the other 4-way hat, more buttons are always nice.

Alright, I'll be off my soapbox now.

On a completely unrelated note: hooray for dust covers, really like the one for the T-50 and had hoped you would make one for your throttle as well!

Last edited by TheHendrix; 10-17-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added clarifications
TheHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #46
Barefoot Bandit

Reputation power: 1
Barefoot Bandit will become famous soon enoughBarefoot Bandit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandar View Post
Darn, I wish I could buy it here in my country. With shipping and tax the cost would almost double....
Which country would that be?

Z...
Barefoot Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #47
Barefoot Bandit

Reputation power: 1
Barefoot Bandit will become famous soon enoughBarefoot Bandit will become famous soon enough

Actually, this VPC throttle looks like a pretty good solution for space, I play Elite dangerous, and use a CH Pro throttle for it, and it's actually a very good throttle (the best I have found) for that game. It's ancient electronics let it down a touch, but it is solid, if not very expensive for what it is.

The VPC Mongoos throttle looks to have a very similar layout, certainly close enough that my bindings will be near identical, and with an analog thumbstick, it will be an ideal replacement to my CH Pro throttle (which will stay in us eon my secondary PC). It's certainly a much better solution than the Warthog throttle I have.

Still, a swappable analog thumbstick/4 way + press hat would be epic, though I can certainly understand the design challenges, and pricing would suffer.

Z...

Quote:
Not really, what will make difference in "WWII Throttle" * is the presence of extra levers for control Propeller Pitch, Mixture, Radiator's, what lack in any "jet" throttle, so just don't assign functions for HAt's corners will don't make a "jet" throttle a WW II throttle.

To be practical this require a dedicated solution, as space flight games require their own.

One can use one or other model for all this games variations, but not in the ideal way.

For now the more appropriated solutions for this "problem" is GVL224 "mechanics" and Kantori "consoles"- based on GVL224 mechanics/electronics, but with a more cool look.

http://www.kanttorinkone.com/consoles.html
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploa...1507241409.jpg
Barefoot Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #48
Ranma13

Reputation power: 5
Ranma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
IMHO, it's actually exactly the opposite and it would be perfect for FC3 aircraft where each aircraft has all or at least some of these modes, even if the real aircraft works differently.
I see what you mean now, I misunderstood what you meant the first time.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 AM   #49
Oceandar

Reputation power: 16
Oceandar has a spectacular aura aboutOceandar has a spectacular aura aboutOceandar has a spectacular aura aboutOceandar has a spectacular aura aboutOceandar has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Bandit View Post
Which country would that be?

Z...
Indonesia
Here we`re stuck with Saitek, Logitech and very few Thrusmaster products.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #50
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 29
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Solway
Три переключателя 3-х позиционные с возвратом в центр, два - 2-х позиционные, два верхних - 3-х позиционные.
I guess, that based on above T1 - T7 "toggle switches" are

3 (MON)-OFF-(MON)
2 ON-OFF
2 ON-OFF-ON
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote