BRD-DS ‘Raven’ Review - The Man & The Machine - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #21
BitMaster
Veteran

Reputation power: 18
BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

Delicious gear

Definitely worth the money I guess !

My next gear purchases when needed will be Baur. There seems to be no alternative for long lasting equipment...with the option to repair yourself, contact the constructeur, etc..

Nice !
Asus Prime-Z270-A - Intel i7-7700K @ 5.0/1.330v adaptive LLC6 Phase_140%-Extreme - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 XMP 3600 CL16 vDimm VCCIO 1.30v VSA 1.35v - Asus 980GTX Poseidon wc @ 1500/8000 - 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB - 1 x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 2 x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT @ 4 x 180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Win10Pro64 - Corsair Carbide 500r Case 5x120mm 1x200mm fans
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #22
Fubarbrickdust

Reputation power: 2
Fubarbrickdust is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnix View Post
Hi, Awesome job on the throttle. I am curious about throttle handles. Am I correct there are extension on the handles? And the action how does it compare to stock height. Do you feel you have better throttle control? Maybe you have PICs as you modded the throttle?

Thanks!
Heya Brewnix,

Eagle eyed spot there. Your quite right, the handles are extended (50mm using alu box tube). In answer to your question, it greatly increases the available precision - the extension in height naturally increases the size of the arc and length of travel for the handles. That particular mod has two benefits - the buttons/switches directly beneath the right throttle are now a lot more accessible in use...one of a number of things that always niggled me with the X-55.

As for the other question - Yes, I can certainly up some images and give some details on the mods, although, they are quite extensive and many of which aren't immediately obvious from the photo. It probably warrants a little thread of its own (not to derail this one) so I'll do just that on Monday when I'm at home. I'll fire a link up here when it's done.

Oculus Rift CV1 | BRD-DS 'Raven' | MFG Crosswind | X-55 Throttle (heavily modded) | Gametrix Jetseat+SSA | DustTek CP4 (homebrew control panel)

FC3 | F-5E Tiger II | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D Mustang | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Black Shark II | UH-1H Huey | SA342 Gazelle

Last edited by Fubarbrickdust; 03-11-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Fubarbrickdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #23
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 29
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbrickdust View Post
Heya Brewnix,
Eagle eyed spot there.
LOL, If he don't point I still seem only a "X-55" throttle there.

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 03-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #24
zhukov032186

Reputation power: 4
zhukov032186 is a jewel in the roughzhukov032186 is a jewel in the roughzhukov032186 is a jewel in the roughzhukov032186 is a jewel in the roughzhukov032186 is a jewel in the roughzhukov032186 is a jewel in the rough

I'm really interested in doing the same thing, more or less. I want to replace the clunky Saitek bottom but keep the grip (which I really like). Can you maybe PM me a bit more info about what your 'slight tweaking' entailed, if you don't mind?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #25
Fubarbrickdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
I'm really interested in doing the same thing, more or less. I want to replace the clunky Saitek bottom but keep the grip (which I really like). Can you maybe PM me a bit more info about what your 'slight tweaking' entailed, if you don't mind?
No problemo. It's pretty on topic so I'll explain here...

The 'tweaking' mainly referred to rectifying the previous work I had done in replacing the internal wiring of the grip. In its stock form the only work you should have to do is remove the coupling connector from the shaft of the X-55 base (held in by a 'split pin' and slight glueing) and de-solder the round terminal contact plate from the base. Once removed it was a case of fixing the coupler to the adapter Baur provided, which was fairly straightforward: the adapter was sub-millimetre accurate...it took some pressure pushing on but it's so solid it hasn't required glueing in any way!
After that it's a case of soldering the wires from the new controller board to the newly installed contact plate - 5 for the button shift register output (comes with the kit) and 3 for the twist axis pot (if you intend on retaining that function. The board has the facility to accommodate 4 axes). You will have to open up the plate on the bottom of the grip (2 screws, if I recall) to check your correct solder points...they're handily printed on the rear face if I recall. From the underside it looks like there's 10 contact points, but in reality there's only 8 - 5 for the register and 3 for the axis ( +, - and signal).

It sounds complicated in writing but actually quite self explanitory when you have it in front of you...

If you're seriously considering it, how's your soldering/wiring skills? The solder points on the contact plates are pretty tight! It took a squinted eye and a steady hand when I did it!

EDIT: in fact, the terminal printing may well be on the base contact plate as well - so there may not be a need to open up the grip in any way. But I'm not 100% certain so don't hold me to that.

Oculus Rift CV1 | BRD-DS 'Raven' | MFG Crosswind | X-55 Throttle (heavily modded) | Gametrix Jetseat+SSA | DustTek CP4 (homebrew control panel)

FC3 | F-5E Tiger II | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D Mustang | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Black Shark II | UH-1H Huey | SA342 Gazelle

Last edited by Fubarbrickdust; 03-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #26
Fubarbrickdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
LOL, If he don't point I still seem only a "X-55" throttle there.
Ahaa! You'll have to check out the thread I'll throw up regarding the mods I've done to this X-55. During my research into such things I've noticed you're quite active on the 'homebrew' threads - I reckon you'll raise an eyebrow

Old 03-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #27
Brewnix

Reputation power: 4
Brewnix will become famous soon enoughBrewnix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbrickdust View Post
Heya Brewnix,

Eagle eyed spot there. Your quite right, the handles are extended (50mm using alu box tube). In answer to your question, it greatly increases the available precision - the extension in height naturally increases the size of the arc and length of travel for the handles. That particular mod has two benefits - the buttons/switches directly beneath the right throttle are now a lot more accessible in use...one of a number of things that always niggled me with the X-55.

As for the other question - Yes, I can certainly up some images and give some details on the mods, although, they are quite extensive and many of which aren't immediately obvious from the photo. It probably warrants a little thread of its own (not to derail this one) so I'll do just that on Monday when I'm at home. I'll fire a link up here when it's done.
Nice.. I would be interested in how you attached the tubing to the base and the handles. I have a modded X55 too! I was hoping the precision in the throttle was one of gained attributes. Personally I thought I was all done with my Franken throttle now I got another project to do. So a few pics if you have time would be cool. Either way would be awesome Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #28
Chic

Reputation power: 5
Chic will become famous soon enoughChic will become famous soon enoughChic will become famous soon enough

I gotta wait till next production cycle for the BRD-N cyclic before I can put order in. Looks like it's well worth the wait. Forgot to ask Baur if he is working on a collective. Anybody have any insight into this?

Spoiler:

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0/4.4GHz overclocked 16GB SSD 850 EVO 1TB
Spoiler:

Corsair Dominator DDR3-2400
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB in SLI
Windows 10 (64-bit)
Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display, Track IR5, Voice Attack
Komodosim UH-1 VBS ProCyclic, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis &
OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker.
JUST CHOPPERS
Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #29
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 29
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

I believe that Baur are not working in collective, but in their forum (avia-sim.ru) you can talk with U053 that make (per order) a interesting collective with multiple disk brake instead friction.

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.p...rt=1080#p29109
http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.p...rt=1020#p28535

Brakes based on this (Mi-8 ?):

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/download/file.php?id=4143
http://avia-sim.ru/forum/download/file.php?id=4141

Although Ka-50 "lookalike", can have throttle on twist grip for "old school" helis.

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/download/file.php?id=6583

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 03-13-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 AM   #30
Chic

Reputation power: 5
Chic will become famous soon enoughChic will become famous soon enoughChic will become famous soon enough

Thanks. Will check it out.

Spoiler:

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0/4.4GHz overclocked 16GB SSD 850 EVO 1TB
Spoiler:

Corsair Dominator DDR3-2400
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB in SLI
Windows 10 (64-bit)
Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display, Track IR5, Voice Attack
Komodosim UH-1 VBS ProCyclic, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis &
OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker.
JUST CHOPPERS
Chic is offline   Reply With Quote