microhelis.de simulation controllers review and discussion - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 03:21 AM   #11
TripRodriguez

Reputation power: 4
TripRodriguez will become famous soon enoughTripRodriguez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi149 View Post
Hi @all,

can you tell me exactly what you mean with "plug & Play"?
For our base-unit you need a hole in the floor and some screws for mounting it.
Sensor are ready to plug in a Leo Bodnar board.
Button and switches are wired in the collective box and grip. All uses 1 common line, so the other cable end must be plugged or soldered to the button board.
@yogi149 I think I can clear this up. Plug and Play normally means you take it out of the box and plug it into your computer and it works. No assembly required more or less. This is how you would describe mainstream controllers like Logitech and Thrustmaster.

Yogi, I believe what people want is detailed description of assembly of your controllers when they arrive. I will try to help.

Cyclic has four components; stick, gimbal base, button box, joystick controller.

Joystick base (gimbal assembly) must be installed to floor of cockpit, normally it is installed under the cockpit floor, so if this is not possible you will need to build a raised floor or build an enclosure box.

Stick must be installed to base, I imagine this is simple matter of plug it on and tighten fastener?

Button Box and Joystick Controller need to be connected, is it all ready and we just plug it together, no tools required?

Do button box and joystick controller have enclosures or just bare boards that need mounting / protection?

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYiSBwy0t0
TripRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
yogi149

Reputation power: 3
yogi149 is on a distinguished road

THX Trip,

ok, in that way it will not be plug and play.
The point is the intended way to mount it.
My intention was to make a replica of the cockpit for helicopter.
Like many other simpit builder made it for 737 or C-172.
The people who made these are normally not "plug and play" guys.
They want the look and feel of the cockpit, but they settled to one type of airplane.
Nowadays with VR you can enter every aircraft you want, so you really need universal controls for all type of aircraft in a single set.
And that is difficult in my opinion, airplane and helicopter are steered in different ways.
So you need different controls if you want to get the right feeling for your aircraft.

I can design mount boxes for my controls for mounting above bottom (but they will look ugly in my opinion)
I can offer additional plugs for the buttons and switches, but good plugs are not cheap.
You can use a complete controller board for one stick, but you have to buy it. (not necessary because one controller can handle 8 axis)
In my cockpit works the prototype for the FTR-Cyclic and because the drives need some more equiment.
I designed the powerbox which include the controller for up to 8 axis and at least one buttonboard for 32 buttons. This box will be connected with only 1 USB to my PC.
We will offer this box as building kit or with additional cost as plug and play.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
TripRodriguez

Reputation power: 4
TripRodriguez will become famous soon enoughTripRodriguez will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the clarification Yogi. I'm sure when I receive my controller I can very much help with this by taking pictures of how everything comes and how to assemble it, I will photograph this and post in great detail!

In the other thread I asked you about pedals. How long do you think to get SA-342 pedals made?

Also, can you tell me total height from floor to top of the grip on the EC-135 cyclic I ordered from you already? I may need to adjust it, for me I need it to be SA-342 height of about 54.6CM unless you plan to ship it already with SA-342 custom tube?

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYiSBwy0t0
TripRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
hansangb

Reputation power: 12
hansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nicehansangb is just really nice

Also, it's don't let the Leo Bodnar boards scare anyone. It just shows up as a USB game controller with many many buttons (it can be rotaries as well). So basically you just assign the buttons on the collective/cyclic in the game control setup.
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Icebear

Reputation power: 8
Icebear will become famous soon enoughIcebear will become famous soon enough

Sorry for not helping with this Plug´n Play thing. But my controller was a Prototype and not assembled at all. I had to build it completely and I do not know how far the sticks are now built before delivery. But from this point I can gladly help.
Icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
MK84

Reputation power: 0
MK84 is on a distinguished road

How many controller boards and button boards do we need for a complete set of cyclic, collective and pedals, say for the EC135 for example.
MK84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #17
yogi149

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK84 View Post
How many controller boards and button boards do we need for a complete set of cyclic, collective and pedals, say for the EC135 for example.
short answer: 1 of each type

But I prepare a longer answer with some pictures.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
yogi149

now the longer answer:
6 axis joystick controller (Bodnar BU0836 has 8 axis)
1x roll
1x pitch
1x yaw
1x collective
2x throttle

17 input channel for the EC-type cyclic grip

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC-style-grip.png
Views:	153
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	156693

20 input channel for the EC-135 colletive switchbox

Name:	EC-135-collec.png
Views:	178
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	156694

makes 37 input lines BBI offers 32 and the joystick controller additional 12

So you need al least 1 Bodnar joystick controller BU0836A and 1 BBI

These pictures show the delivery condition for our grips and switchboxes.

Pictures from the B8 grip and the UH collective will follow next days.
They need less button input lines.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 29
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi149 View Post

makes 37 input lines BBI offers 32 and the joystick controller additional 12
So you need al least 1 Bodnar joystick controller BU0836A and 1 BBI
These pictures show the delivery condition for our grips and switchboxes.
BU0836A is not limited do 12 buttons.
12 buttons is direct wire connection (12 inputs + 1 common).
Using "diode matrix" can be 32 buttons + POV HAT (6x6 matrix).

If user want cyclic independent of collective can bough 2 BU0836A/X* instead 1 BU0836+BBI32.

Of course need know deal with "diode matrix".
* X don't require "diode matrix", but cost ~twice than A.

BTW - Grips are 3D printed?
Nice finish.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
yogi149

Hi Sokol1_br,

but the matrix from the BU0836A can not manage real switches, only momentary buttons.
This was the reason I changed to the BBI board in my cockpit. And perhaps in near future to an Arduino Mega for input/output.
And the question was: do I need a single joystick controller for every part.
My answer would be no, but I can make additional housing for controller and BBI, so customer can order a "plug & play" solution, but with additional costs.
For my FTR version, I integrated joystick controller and BBI into the necessary power-box.

Name:	20170205_223603.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	671.5 KB
ID:	156721
And yes, the parts are 3D-SLA printed from PA-(polyamide)powder and finished with acrylic black mate color.