Open Source Joystick FFB / DIY FFB Joystick - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Berniyh

Reputation power: 2
Berniyh is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure, but I think the game does that for you.

The Simucube won't work, as it can use mulitple axis, but only one servo drive.
Thus, only one FFB axis would be supported.

With IONICube, you could drive up to 4 motors, but 2 would be sufficient.
In the game you would assign the 2 axis, just like you do now for your joystick.
Controller-vice, they can be totally separated, it shouldn't really matter.

Of course, it might be that some adaptions to the FW of the servo drive would be required, but since the FFB protocol is standardized, I doubt that too much work would have to be done.
The only thing that would definitely require adaptions is that you have to be able to set up 2 axis in the Gravity or firmware, but for that I'd wait how the open source FW looks like, maybe they already implemented that.
With MMos, it won't work, that's pretty clear.
Berniyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:17 AM   #12
metalnwood

Reputation power: 18
metalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nice

I like the granite devices stuff but it is not the cheapest. For a joystick you are looking at ~$400usd for the ioni motherboard and two ioni drives.

On top of that will be your servo's, controller board like a TI disco that OSW uses. The firmware that granite are looking to do will run on the simucube using the microcontroller that is onboard, not the firmware on the ioni drives.

FFB is supposed to be a standard but it is not well documented, doesnt work as expected in places and can be trial and error. A number of people have got it going so it's not impossible! Just not a walk in the park either

In some ways, taking the game telemetry and using the forces it tells you is the easiest way to go but then you are likely to miss out on a lot of effects. For example, you are unlikely to feel good cannon fire this way, as the game may not output information to do this through the stick force. Through FFB it would have been an effect.

Would probably work OK for 747 etc though.
metalnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #13
VO101_MMaister

Reputation power: 0
VO101_MMaister is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnwood View Post
I like the granite devices stuff but it is not the cheapest. For a joystick you are looking at ~$400usd for the ioni motherboard and two ioni drives.

On top of that will be your servo's, controller board like a TI disco that OSW uses. The firmware that granite are looking to do will run on the simucube using the microcontroller that is onboard, not the firmware on the ioni drives.

FFB is supposed to be a standard but it is not well documented, doesnt work as expected in places and can be trial and error. A number of people have got it going so it's not impossible! Just not a walk in the park either

In some ways, taking the game telemetry and using the forces it tells you is the easiest way to go but then you are likely to miss out on a lot of effects. For example, you are unlikely to feel good cannon fire this way, as the game may not output information to do this through the stick force. Through FFB it would have been an effect.

Would probably work OK for 747 etc though.
Andre`s Simshaker sw uses the telemetry of the game, and still able to deliver effects for stall, landing gears, weapons ect... It is actually much better than an on-off effect. The stall warning is for example builds up gradiently with the increase of AoA.
VO101_MMaister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #14
MetalGear_Honk

Reputation power: 3
MetalGear_Honk is on a distinguished road

Hi
The FFB will enable you to use Heli Trim and out of Center Spring loads.
I don’t think it can be archived without FFB.

For the Electrical part:
Most Old FFB Joysticks uses DC Motors. To drive those you need only an H-Bridge the l298n is a Double H-Bridge so we can use it for both axis.

For using Steppers we would need at last 2 H-Bridges for every Motor.
But it would be better to use a Stepper Driver for higher precision.

Using Servos as in RC-Servo no special parts are needed as a PWM Signal for the Position will be enough. But strong servos will be expensive

For the Software:
A working Descriptor can be found at the DecentBB Forum or in the FFB-Adapter.
It is very long for it contains every Effect an all Settings for the effects.

Using a Teensy (or ATMEGA32u4) will give us enough Pins to drive the Motors and getting all the Fancy Buttons/Axis we want. I think an Arduino will be possible as well, but it is more complicated because we cannot write to the communication chip directly. (I have done it before).

So I think it can be archived without paying hundreds of Euros.
I will happily chare my source code if someone can help finding out what is not working.

@Metalnwood
Can you link to someone who has done an DIY FFB Joystick?
I am not aware of any successful Project.

Greatings
MetalGear_Honk
MetalGear_Honk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
Berniyh

Reputation power: 2
Berniyh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGear_Honk View Post
@Metalnwood
Can you link to someone who has done an DIY FFB Joystick?
I am not aware of any successful Project.
The only ones I've seen so far reused other FFB joysticks' controllers.
Berniyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
jusu_d

Reputation power: 0
jusu_d is on a distinguished road

@MetalGear_Honk
Great! I've been looking into FFB and have to agree there are not many projects around. I'd like to participate in development; I'm a bit low on available time, but have done professional work with AVR cores and other related things, and played around with USB HID, so I believe I could help. Do you have the code available on some repository?
BR,
jusu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #17
MetalGear_Honk

Hi
i have some source mostly stolen/ lend from other projects. or from old stuff i made. it is written in AVR Studio 7.1 and i tested it with the STK600 so i don't have an wireing. i can send you a mail if you are willing to help.

as i sad constructor and IO is working for some Degree. but i think i have some timing issius.

Greatings
MetalGear_Honk
Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #18
Revvin

Reputation power: 16
Revvin is a jewel in the roughRevvin is a jewel in the roughRevvin is a jewel in the roughRevvin is a jewel in the roughRevvin is a jewel in the roughRevvin is a jewel in the roughRevvin is a jewel in the rough

Any such FFB project would no doubt fall under the gaze of Immersions lawyers and to license the technology is extremely expensive which is one reason why CH never made a USB Force FX stick to replace the gameport version they did. The open sim wheel scene may also fall foul of their patents, its not happened yet but surely only a matter of time. There has already been a few comments passed by a hardware developer in the private iRacing forums in a thread about the OSW project along the lines of "well I'm doing things right and licensing the technology while you guys are not".
Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #19
98abaile

Reputation power: 8
98abaile has a spectacular aura about98abaile has a spectacular aura about98abaile has a spectacular aura about98abaile has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvin View Post
Any such FFB project would no doubt fall under the gaze of Immersions lawyers and to license the technology is extremely expensive which is one reason why CH never made a USB Force FX stick to replace the gameport version they did. The open sim wheel scene may also fall foul of their patents, its not happened yet but surely only a matter of time. There has already been a few comments passed by a hardware developer in the private iRacing forums in a thread about the OSW project along the lines of "well I'm doing things right and licensing the technology while you guys are not".
As far as I can tell the only thing they have a copyright on is the chip they use to create a rumble effect. All we want are motors to drive an axis to a given position and force loading.
98abaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
MetalGear_Honk

Hi
Revvin is right about the Licenses of Immersions.
But as far as i know that all the License violations only occur when we are talking about commercial products. As Long as it is only and pure "do it for yourself and not selling it" there should be nothing to worry about.

But that is only my opinion might be wrong.

greatings
MetalGear_Honk