Ln's fourth jet after F-14: Mig-23 or Su-22?

Jaktaz

People have been throwing ideas around that Leatherneck might plan on creating a Mig-23 for DCS, as it's a very popular plane and a good 3-4 generation fighter to rival f-14. Another possible jet, one that would work well with the Mig-21, would be the Su-17/22. Very flexible swing wing strike fighter that fought the F-14 in Libyan hands.

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People eating the appetizers but thinking at dessert...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

There were definite plans for the MiG-23 and Su-22, all for variants used by the Hungarian Air Force (specifically the MiG-23MF and Su-22M3), before the Team reformed into Leatherneck Sims and the old lead member took leave (due to in-team dissension as far as I could tell -- but probably that's still too sensitive a case and would lead to bitter off-topic discussions).

There are no current information regarding old plans, but probably everything in the internal roadmap was rethought.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At least with the upcoming Hormuz map, some of them (i.e. F-5E, F-14A, Mirage F1) can be genuine OPFOR for more realistic PvP scenarios (and yes, I know most of them are tinkered with and do not match original specifications in their current form... but that's not that big of a deal to me).

I would also like to see more full/high-fidelity Soviet/Russian aircraft in the (preferably near) future, though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are a million threads discussing this very topic so take this there, I don't understand why a new thread is made every month or so with the same posts by the same people about the same planes

Because things aren't changing and we still see no interest from devs to do those planes

• Like 1

It would really be nice. Not just from LNS, but from anyone. Western planes are great but it'd be nice to have more than just one Russian fighter that's above FC3 level to fight them with. It's kind of funny with ED being Russian and all that they seem to have little to no drive to make Russian birds. I'd have expected (and preferred) that from them even over the F/A-18. With the F-14 coming the "ultimate" heavy hitter in western aviation outside of something that will never happen like the F-22 is going to be in. We need something good from the other side someday. Even something that should be incredibly simple given what's already in, like any variant of the Flanker done properly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I doubt that, many of those old Soviet planes are not used by Russia and now belong to disintegrated states or countries that moved to NATO and sold their secrets. They are as confidential as the Mig 21.

It's not as simple as that. The Russian MoD is famously paranoid. Even though this is the case, they still may regard it as sensitive.

I doubt ED wants to rock any legal boats with the MoD.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Yea same here.

a Su-17M4/22M4 or a Mig-23 ML/MLA or MLD would be amazing.

Su-17M3/22M3 would also be very nice.

Older variants of the Mig-23 would still be nice and interesting just less amazing.

For example a Mig-23MF would be nice but it would not be as nice/interesting as something like a Mig-23ML would be since the MF did not have a Hud and used a separate radar display where as the later mig-23s like the Bis,ML,MLA and MLD had a Hud with the radar info displayed on the HUD like was done on the Mig-29 and Su-27.

(And the ML,MLA and MLD were just overall superior to the MF on all fronts with better Radars weapons engines and being lighter and more maneuverable etc)

Yep, this topic is currently ongoing on another thread, but beibg specific to Leatherneck Simulations, after the work they've done with the Fishbed, I hold up my hopes for them specifically to do the next Soviet aircraft. They have the skill and expertice needed for sure.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

For example a Mig-23MF would be nice but it would not be as nice/interesting as something like a Mig-23ML would be since the MF did not have a Hud and used a separate radar display where as the later mig-23s like the Bis,ML,MLA and MLD had a Hud with the radar info displayed on the HUD like was done on the Mig-29 and Su-27.

False.

Only the pre-series/test series MiG-23S had seperate radar display. The radar information was displayed on the HUD from the next batch onwards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ohh?.

I was simply going by the sources ive been able to find (Including Wiki etc)

and they had led me to believe that the first generation Mig-23s (M,MF etc) still used a radar display and that the Bis was the first that ditched the radar display.

If i was incorrect then i acknowledge that, i was simply going by the sources / info i had been able to find.

Do you know of any Sources in ENG with correct information? since i would be very interested in knowing more about the Mig-23

(as its an aircraft that i like).

I also want these two aircraft a lot, probably my top wanted-not announced list are these two right now. MiG-27 would also be interesting. I personally would pay for BOTH Su-17 and MiG-27 seperately, as they bring unique stuff compared to each other, at least more unique than people realize :

MiG has an optical sensor named Kaira, somewhat similar to Shkval, Fitter series doesn't, however, latest Fitters can use Kh-29T and view it's sensor image on a dedicated screen in cockpit, they don't have an onboard optical sensor. So this is one of MiG-27's perks.

Su-17 on the other hand, have much heavier payload capability, it's like a mini strategic bomber almost... I think it's also a bit faster than MiG-27 but not sure. Su-17 would be like a supersonic Su-25. MiG-27 is too short ranged and too light on payload for that.

Now, MiG-23 as a fighter though, I very much want it, but as a historical curiosity. I don't have big expectations regarding it's performance compared to other DCS fighters. It's speed and acceleration, as well as climb performances are excellent, but apparently they hate high alpha with a passion, and could depart easily in maneuvering dogfights. Also, unlike F-14, their wings doesn't sweep back and forth automaticall, this is something pilot would have to bother with in order to get the best out of the plane, and even that best isn't particularly spectacular. According to (admittedly ever-so-reliable) internet lore, even MLD didn't completely solve these problems, only reduced them. MLD would be ineteresting with it's very powerful engine, pretty decent radar, and apparentlly ability to use R-73. But other versions would quite possibly struggle even with skilled F-5 and MiG-21 pilots. Also worth mentioning is it's canopy's restrictive design, that would give an even worse outside view than MiG-21's. Couple that with it's handling problems, I wouldn't want to be in a MiG-23 at a dogfight setting.

I'm not saying these as an argument against someone doing MiG-23 though, like I've said, I do want to see it in DCS and would buy it. It's just people seem to often suggest it would be a F-14 counter, and in truth, it wouldn't be much of a threat to F-14. Tomcat would very heavily outclass it in both BVR and WVR, with equal ease.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I hope 1:st for Su-22 then Mig-23/25, but even if they are planned or in development (4:th unknown project). It's gonna be a long, long, loooooong time before we'll see them, I'm afraid!

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I still hope we see a Mig-23 or Su-22 enter development soon.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, every single DCS aircraft out of ~20 currently in development is western/NATO.

That is interesting...

As Flanker started as Russian simulator, then Lock-On and later Flaming Cliffs were so interesting because you got to fly the Soviet designed aircrafts.

And now we are more and more for the NATO/West style.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Do we really need another wishlist thread?

In all honesty we ARE in Leatherneck Simulations' subforum... so why wouldn't we concentrate on that. It is true these threads pop up like mushrooms in the rain...

So which aircraft would be the best project specifically in LNS' hands and why?

DCS Finland | SF squadron

In all honesty we ARE in Leatherneck Simulations' subforum... so why wouldn't we concentrate on that. It is true these threads pop up like mushrooms in the rain...

There are several wishlists threads in the sub forum alone.

They're a better judge of their abilities than the end user, most of the time.

They have access to the resources, directly, whilst any negative or positive opinion of a development team are either speculation or based product history.

So, really, wishlists are pointless. Just about as pointless as polls asking "Should this aircraft be in DCS?"

Everyone has a list of things they'd love to see. Developers can probably see which aircraft would show up with the most frequency on these lists. It may just be that a lot of these guys see certain aircraft as outside their ability for the time being. Or, they have their own laundry list to do.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!