Warthog AB detent - Push through mod?

DTWD

• 2 months later...

I uploaded this MODEL.

McG mentioned that it was a bit narrow and that the force required to move over the bump is quite a lot. I can make modifications, you guys just tell me what must be changed. I don't have warthog so I cannot experiment myself with it.

• 1 month later...

Here's my mod:

p2190275517.jpg

p2190275504.jpg

p2190275496.jpg

Snipped a piece of a dental floss pick, use a drop of strong-ish glue (not superglue), then file the 'leading edge' off so slightly to adjust the 'feel' you want for your push to afterburner. Works like a charm :)

F2D_200.jpg

Some curve adjustment depending on the aircraft to set the Mil thrust power to be just at the push detent. I only had to do it for one or two crafts, the rest simply works with 100% linear curve.

9d008dd82b5f6c459efd0ec11d88feac.jpg

First test was a fail - I could have known if I could look better into the throttle.

So here's another try

I'm curious how this works?

So now you can push though to afterburner without lifting the throttles?

Could you make a small video about how this defend thingy works?

Grtz

Jorik

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased the push through mod made by Debolestis and I was very impressed. Apart from being slightly too thin (not a huge factor at all because the load from the throttles wants to move the part longitudinally and not laterally) the pressure and AB range feels great.

I fly the T-38 and considering that most PC joysticks and throttles require significantly less force to move compared to real life, I have to say that the AB "push through force" is very accurate for the Warthog throttle in proportion to the real life force.

The part can be improved by making the part wider, bottom rounded to sit flush with the part assembly between the throttles, and for a slightly bulkier push through surface. If more clarification is needed, I can provide photos.

What is in fact more interesting is that the mod provides a more realistic "mil power" setting compared to the stock "lift over" detente. I tested this on the Nevada map at 31 degrees Celsius at Nellis field elevation (~1800 ft). The stock Warthog detente at mil power gives me 100% RPM, 20% nozzle, and 2100 lbs/hr fuel flow. With the mod installed, I get 103% RPM, 16% nozzle, and 2500 lbs/hr fuel flow as depicted. This matches the Dash-1 ops limits for mil power:

PTNAvCy.png

xSVdMoV.jpg

What was also interesting is that the brakes did not hold me at mil power when I was clean at either the stock or mod AB detente. With two AIM-9P's, a centerline tank, and two GBU-12's the brakes held up ok.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is in fact more interesting is that the mod provides a more realistic "mil power" setting compared to the stock "lift over" detente. I tested this on the Nevada map at 31 degrees Celsius at Nellis field elevation (~1800 ft). The stock Warthog detente at mil power gives me 100% RPM, 20% nozzle, and 2100 lbs/hr fuel flow. With the mod installed, I get 103% RPM, 16% nozzle, and 2500 lbs/hr fuel flow as depicted. This matches the Dash-1 ops limits for mil power:

It has nothing to do with the mod, it's just in DCS every aircraft has afterburner detent in different position that rarely matches detent on your joystick. If the mod fits F-5, then it just means that it will be off-position in other airplanes.

I've asked for a nice UI option to match AB detent to your hardware like it's been for ages in Falcon 4.0, but no one bothers. Currently you have to set up axis curves per airplane and that affects linearity across the range.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It has nothing to do with the mod, it's just in DCS every aircraft has afterburner detent in different position that rarely matches detent on your joystick. If the mod fits F-5, then it just means that it will be off-position in other airplanes.

I've asked for a nice UI option to match AB detent to your hardware like it's been for ages in Falcon 4.0, but no one bothers. Currently you have to set up axis curves per airplane and that affects linearity across the range.

He didn't mention any other aircraft than the F-5 so his observations are valid.

I filed my detent down and I'm getting the same results for the F-5.

Then I tested it with other aircraft and got the following results:

• Works well: F-5, F-15C, Viggen
  • AB lights well beyond detent: M2K, MiG21/29A/29S, Su33,
  • AB lights before detent: Su27

You're correct that every aircraft has a different threshold for the AB and we seriously need an option to customize that threshold ourselves, while retaining the full range and linearity of the throttle.

Much like the game that must not be named around here. :music_whistling:

You're doing what?? Are you now referring to the F-5E as T-38 to get people all wound up or do you actually have a mod of some sorts? :noexpression:

He flies the T-38 in real life. :pilotfly:

You're doing what?? Are you now referring to the F-5E as T-38 to get people all wound up or do you actually have a mod of some sorts? :noexpression:

I'm assuming he means he flies the T-38 IRL.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

You can tune your throttle axis ingame to match the hardware settings.

We printed some 3 stages throttle detents for the viggen, works great if you tune it ingame

While that is true, you'd have to either sacrifice range of motion, linearity or both to set up the detent correctly and you'd have to do that for every aircraft.

It's not the end of the world but it could be so much easier, while also taking full advantage of your hardware, with the aforementioned feature.

Any chance you could upload that 3 stage detent? :smilewink:

• 2 weeks later...
I recently purchased the push through mod made by Debolestis and I was very impressed.

I must've missed that when it was originally posted because your mention was the first I saw of it... I ordered it early in the week and got it yesterday. Haven't had time to flight test it yet, but I have to say, it works better than the glued toothpicks I had on there. :megalol:

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)