Terrible VR stuttering in 1.5 with 1080 Ti and Oculus Rift

Boris

I'm a little frustrated at the moment that 1.5 isn't working very well in VR with my new 1080 Ti.

I got better performance with a 980 Ti.

I get constant stuttering and frequent short blackouts showing the hourglass symbol.

I've completely reinstalled Windows 10 and DCS and still the problem persists.

Performance in 2.0 is the best it has ever been, and everything looks very smooth and fluid even when flying over downtown Las Vegas.

Might this just be a problem of current drivers and the current build?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk, my 1080ti and cv1 is about the same as my former 1080. About 45 fps +- alot. But not stutterings.

Disable any mod you have, if any

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

I'm a little frustrated at the moment that 1.5 isn't working very well in VR with my new 1080 Ti.

I get constant stuttering and frequent short blackouts showing the hourglass symbol.

Performance in 2.0 is the best it has ever been, and everything looks very smooth and fluid even when flying over downtown Las Vegas.

Wow.... driver

https://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1664-nvidia-geforce-38189-whql/

use SSD instead of HDD?

Myself...no mirrors, no clouds, no shadows and mod install GTM 10.

virusscanner interupting?

seems like loading issues...

Run a repair.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

That is what on my mind when i read this. Hope you can tackle the issue.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I've the same issues. I've the new 1080TI SC2, CV2 and a pretty beefy rig and still getting little more than 45FPS in most cases. The only thing I can say is to remove shadows or set to flat only. I'm also aware of an autoexec file that can be added to remove the lock of FPS but you'll need to speak to a tester or dev to get it generated as there are some options to play with. I've tested on DCS 1.5.6 beta and found the same issue. DCS2.0 is marginally better but I'm still only getting 45 FPS on the deck with slightly better at altitude but forget going anywhere near Vegas as it will kill FPS. I just can't figure out why even with one of the latest and best graphics cards I still have to turn things down even in normal view mode. I get that drivers are still being written and tested but there's more than likely another issue under the covers. My hope is 2.1 Normandy will be much better on the performance.

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

I have the 1080ti and the settings I use are basically MAX with zero issue's. there is definilty something wrong here.

I would

remove all mods, update repair and clean dcs, check the new driver is the latest and make sure oculus is up to date.

then start again with all settings at med and move up slightly until you hit the spot ;)

here is the post I created comparing my old 1080 to the new 1080ti with settings.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3102005&postcount=21

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I had the same issue until I deleted all Nvidia software, including drivers, and deleted the card from the device manager. I rebooted and let windows install the basic driver. After that I installed the Nvidia drives, latest, as normal. My install is on a HDD and I rarely see below 45. I have shadows on medium which is awesome in VR. Other than that my settings are exactly like 59th Ravens post. In closing, my 1080 had stuttering even at 45FPS. With the 1080TI it is smooth. Even in X-Plane 11 when my FPS dips to 35 it is still smooth.

hello

try turn off ASW .

Thanks for your replies . I have the newest nVidia drivers and no amount of graphics tweaking completely got rid of the problem.

But I think I have found the problem, I just don't know how to fix it.

DCS 1.5 is clearly underutilizing the GPU. Looking at Afterburner, the clock speed never goes over 1544 MHz and 30% usage even though the game could use significantly more horsepower.

DCS 2.0 is utlizing the full potential of the card and maxes out at 1924 MHz and over 60% usage.

It seems DCS 1.5 is not activating boost, but I don't understand why.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I'll give it a go...

Thanks for your replies . I have the newest nVidia drivers and no amount of graphics tweaking completely got rid of the problem.

But I think I have found the problem, I just don't know how to fix it.

DCS 1.5 is clearly underutilizing the GPU. Looking at Afterburner, the clock speed never goes over 1544 MHz and 30% usage even though the game could use significantly more horsepower.

DCS 2.0 is utlizing the full potential of the card and maxes out at 1924 MHz and over 60% usage.

It seems DCS 1.5 is not activating boost, but I don't understand why.

Sounds like a CPU bottle neck. CPU can't feed the GPU properly so it's being under utilized.

Are you sure your 4770k is running at 4.2 and your memory is healthy? That should be more than enough performance... 59 raven is on the same architecture so you should see similar results....

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im certainly sure about my specs, but I'm not sure if it's healthy or not. But yes, a CPU bottleneck did come to mind... With those specs it shouldn't be there though, should it?

How would I best find out?

I cleaned my graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalled the latest drivers.

I also repaired DCS, though I think there was nothing to repair.

I'm running no mods.

I think it helped a little with performance and DCS 1.5 now seems to be more willing, but only selectively, to use all of the headroom the GPU will allow. Quite often it will go back to 1544 MHz.

Monitoring the framerates, I frequently get drops to 25-30 and occasional peaks at 90 fps in 1.5, which I think is a big cause of the stuttering.

2.0 has 45 fps (ASW) stable over the middle of Vegas and looks butter smooth.

How is it that 2.0 does not have this problem, if it's a hardware issue?

There is a complete computer uninstall tool [including the registry] that removes all traces of Nvidia drivers. This to be used when you have a stubborn graphics issue. It's called DDU uninstaller...Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.6.4.

I too had an issue not easily corrected and this did the trick!

There is a complete computer uninstall tool [including the registry] that removes all traces of Nvidia drivers. This to be used when you have a stubborn graphics issue. It's called DDU uninstaller...Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.6.4.

I too had an issue not easily corrected and this did the trick!

Yep, used DDU as I said :thumbup:

Ok, I seem to have improved performance significantly, namely the GPU clock speeds, by setting the Power Management in the nVidia control panel to "prefer performance".

Now the GPU consistently boosts to the maximum clock speed.

It should have been glaringly obvious I guess.

Performance could still be better and I'm not sure if it's all that much better than with my 980 ti previously, but it's playable as before now.

It's a shame that mirrors have such an impact.

Any more tips for reducing stuttering are much appreciated.

Ok, I seem to have improved performance significantly, namely the GPU clock speeds, by setting the Power Management in the nVidia control panel to "prefer performance".

Performance could still be better and I'm not sure if it's all that much better than with my 980 ti previously, but it's playable as before now.

As for the mirrors I have them mapped to toggle on/off from my HOTAS, only when I want to take a rear look around.

download one of the GPU software such as " MSI afterburner " or " EVGA percsion" i personally use EVGA since my card is EVGA . anyway . in those software there is a button called turbo boost. it will keep your card working on the highest clocks all the time. also i you know how to overclock your GPU " its very easy " go for it it will make a big difference .

i have mine overclocked +100 for gpu clocks

+350 for memory clocks.

Must be some 1080 ti driver issue from nvidia.I have same computer specs as the poster exept im using a 1080.and im hitting 70-80 fps in Vr,with almost anything maxed out exept shadows and mirrors.Boris are you using Nvidia gaming experience that comes with the drivers,try and uninstall that and just use the graphic drivers nothing else.Have had several bad experiences with that crappy software.

Interesting that you guys are having similar issues with the 1080 Ti. Maybe it is in fact a driver issue and that the 1080 Ti hasn't been adequately optimized for VR / Rift or DCS?

I'm still not getting any better performance than with the 980 Ti and much more inconsistency in frames.

Setting power options to "prefer best performance" had the most effect.

EDIT: Have you guys also upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update? Seems others are also having stuttering and framerate issues with the 1080 Ti

Edited by Boris

I also just went from a 980ti to 1080ti and had abit of stuttering at first. I re-installed the card and made sure everything was tight and re-run the oculus configuration and now it's smooth sailing.

I also just went from a 980ti to 1080ti and had abit of stuttering at first. I re-installed the card and made sure everything was tight and re-run the oculus configuration and now it's smooth sailing.

Light at the horizon.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

One more opinion to hardware-related stalls, which is often disregarded:

Besides updating your graphics card driver, make sure your BIOS is up-to-date too, so that your Mainboard chipset-drivers (also to be up-to-date !) handling the communications between the various processing units on the board are performing as best as they can.

Second thing to check for (as mentioned in one of the posts above):Make sure that no power-saving functions on the mainboard prevent maximum performance.

And last, but not least, check the graphics-card-specific settings for AA and AF. I read in some post, that setting the AA to only MSAA shall have a great boost on the performance without a noticable backdraw on graphics quality.

MSI H170M-A Pro with i5-6600K @ 3.5 Ghz, 16Gb DDR4-2133, ASUS GTX 1080 TI 11 Gb DDR5 352bit, Win10 Pro,

PUMA Flight Trainer, DCS 1.5, 2.5 open beta, UH-1H, KA50, Mi8-MTV2, Gazelle.

Have a safe flight !