Why no tailwheel lock on the Spit?

imacken

I thought you could lock the tailwheel as written in the manual's takeoff procedure?

"6 Pull stick fully back to ensure that tailwheel remains straight"

"8 Slowly release control stick to center position as aircraft gains speed and tailwheel leaves the ground"

Well, you're quoting from Chuck's Guide and not the Spit manual, but that statement is confusing. I presume the pulling back on the stick during the initial part of take off, is just for using the aerodynamic effect to keep the tail on the ground for some stability until sufficient speed has built up for the tail to lift off the ground.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Or... ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=161179&d=1492931140

WANT!! :shocking:

Need details! Please! :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

:lol: ... :D ... :) ... :noexpression: ... :huh: ............ :cry:

I was hoping this was kind of store-bought or so, bc I'd rather keep all of my fingers... I'm alone a lot :music_whistling:

Many thanks anyway :thumbup:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Is weight also why the cannons/guns never quite got up to german levels of ferocity?

To be honest at first I hated the spitfire cannons/guns having tried out the germans weaponry, but now having got quite good in the spitfire have found they are more than capabul of getting the job done.

the western allies thought of dogfighting as a bar room brawl. where a shotgun would be more useful than an accurate rifle.

so they mounted lots of guns in the wings which made them less accurate but gave better spread.

ie a shotgun.

the Russian and germans thought of dogfighting as hunting. so wanted an accurate hunting rifle.

so had much fewer guns mounted on the centre line for ease of aiming and accuracy.

it could be argued that the side with shotguns beat the side with rifles.

because its easier to deflection shoot with a shotgun.

you hunt birds with a shotgun after all :)

but its also like the endless argument with cavalry swords.. whether its better to use the point and thrust or use the edge and cut..

the target is usually dead either way.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.