Nvidia RTX cards and DCS - ?

Computer gaming is a luxury purchase for your leisure time and hobby pursuits. I have yet to see one developer, AI researcher, or artist complain about the price because the card will make them more productive and efficient. Faster machine learning, faster rendering.

Sorry about the rant, but this is getting old quick. I'm sure there are tons of people who aren't going to upgrade their PC due to budget constraints. They don't whine about it publicly or blame Nvidia.

Well said. :thumbup:

One of my favorite old saying still applies - "Software sells Hardware" (and a new GPU to have a better experience in DCS is a prime example to support that old adage).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That they are related in-RL has nothing to do with graphics engine coding, especially when said coding is of a highly proprietary nature.

But as you say, it's a DX12 thing anyway, which DCS is not going DX12, so the whats and wherefores of RT are utterly irrelevant since we won't be getting it :P

-edit Also, Remi, who seems obsessed with having "the latest and greatest", congratulations, you are the primary target audience for every marketer who ever drew a breath. They love people like you.

Ummm, it's not just DirectX 12 that will support ray tracing. Have a look here.

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx

We should just shutdown all the forums on the net.:D

I will upgrade perhaps at some point, but I'm still very happy with my system now. I'm really waiting to see rift 2 and see what the 2080ti will do or if it can hold 90 fps with Rift 1? This might also make me decided to sell my 1080ti.

There is just so many decisions at the moment, which is very cool and "my" system is fine for now in DCS until.

Vulkan performance / Threadripper 16 core potential

2080ti / 2nd Gen VR

2080ti / 1st Gen VR @ 90 fps?

2080ti / 4K performance

I think the easiest path for an upgrade decision is the following:

1. Do I have extra money lying around that could be used eslewhere (opportunity costs)

2. Do I have a need for the better performance/features for a particular game/sim I'm playing?

3. Does that game/sim take advantage of those features?

4. Take my money.

MSI sells those in Asia for 1349€ + tax.

still, 1100 is insane. Make it 699 and I am with it

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-hands-on

But still, it’s tough not to be a little concerned when the ultra-expensive, ultra-enthusiast RTX 2080 Ti isn’t able to hit 60fps at 1080p in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. We weren’t able to see what settings the game was running at as the options screens were cut down in the build we were capturing, but GeForce Experience was capturing at the game resolution and the RTX footage we have is 1080p

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

"But Daddy, I want a Lumpa Lumpa now!"

Again, it's getting old. Find a better use for your spare time and maybe you can afford the PC upgrade you want.

lol are you being deliberately obtuse here?

I can afford one of these already thanks & i have pretty much the same system as you do so i'm not averse to paying over a grand for a GFX card.

I'm in the thread, because i'm looking to see if its worth upgrading, I guess you're just here to cry about what people are saying about Nvidia.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I think 30-50% standard would probably sell it for me, but again worth waiting till we see more benchmarks in various situations.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

lol are you being deliberately obtuse here?

I can afford one of these already thanks & i have pretty much the same system as you do so i'm not averse to paying over a grand for a GFX card.

I'm in the thread, because i'm looking to see if its worth upgrading, I guess you're just here to cry about what people are saying about Nvidia.

No, just trying to weed out all the useless commenters regurgitating something they read on a teenyboppers YouTube channel. If you're in the market, you should be appreciating this. I've owned AMD stock and currently own a Freesync display. I have no loyalty to any particular company.

Do you find all these posts complaining about 1500 Euro for a 10% performance gain that they read about somewhere on the internet useful? I don't. It's regurgitated bovine scatology.

That's why I'm posting.

Over the next few weeks we might get some leaked benchmarks that are actually useful, but until a DCS player gets a hold of a 2080 or 2080 Ti and post stats it's all just dumb.

I'm trying to give some of these people the benefit of the doubt and that this is all just an elaborate ruse to short Nvidia stock, but I think that would be giving them too much credit.

I hope the 2070 can match or beat a Titan Xp. For $499 US, that brings 4k to the masses.

If it's 15-20% gain at the high end...meh, I'll pass.

If it %30-50+, or roughly approximates a Titan V for $1200, I'm sold.

In DCS I can max out everything currently except global illumination and no MSAA, SSAA. I prefer long draw distances on big screen. I force FXAA in the driver, but it can make instruments harder to read with some blurring effects.

MSAA is much crisper image quality, but not smooth at 4K60, too expensive. Hopefully, we'll really be able to see what the new DCS engine is capable of. Graphics engines are usually ahead of the hardware, especially for home PC's.

Don't get your hopes too high. Looking at the specs I'm not convinced.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Don't get your hopes too high. Looking at the specs I'm not convinced.

Neither am I, especially how they avoided all of this at launch and only focused on the new tech ""ray tracing". Normally it would be how much better is the 1070 compare to 980ti blah blah. None of that? Perhaps it's not that much difference this year to run the old games faster? I don't think anyone will be running this new tech anyway...Most simmers and FPS shooter games want more frames (144 Hz screens --> 144 fps) than eye candy. I know I do, that's why I bought 1440 @ 144 Hz for that speed eye candy balance. If it can run this gen or the next gen VR better? Then I would really be convinced to swap over.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I force FXAA in the driver, but it can make instruments harder to read with some blurring effects.

nVidia CP settings are not working with DCS.

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Overclocked 1080ti can get over 10000 as well, so if this is over clocked 2080 (as they suggest in that article) then it's not impressive at all. For similar price to gtx 1080ti you get similar performance but with less vram. Makes no reason to swap for me.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I'm waiting for some tests with RTX 2080Ti vs 1080Ti

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

My 1080ti scores 10000 almost exactly (by excess). I'm using stock settings. So between it and the 2080 FE there is Zero improvement with current status of drivers and games.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I'm waiting for some tests with RTX 2080Ti vs 1080Ti

me too!!

hello amazon my 1080ti is broken can I have a refund??

:lol::lol:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

wait for the drivers, this is all guesswork

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

wait for the drivers, this is all guesswork

100% true.

There are couple of interesting theories that will be proven or disproved in the coming weeks...

1. NVidia is downplaying/hiding RTX performance gains in non-Raytracing games to move overstock of 10 series chips. - Recent reports that they forced board builders to take back returned chips that went unsold when the mining bubble burst support this theory.

2. NVidia is downplaying/hiding low RTX performance gains in non-Raytracing games to manage the negative PR hit when benchmarks are revealed. No promises have been made with regards to current games.

Either way it will be a mad rush of tech news and forum posts.

What is that old Chinese proverb/curse...."May you live in interesting times"

This is great news that a new GPU is just around the corner, but there is one real question that concerns DCS..

Its that of the Persian Gulf Map. I read that the smallness of the map is because present technology limits a real expansion.. I personally would like to see Afghanistan included here.

Is the new card going to enable this issue?

I know that VRS has the entire map. But I can't really get behind using that that old MFX graphics engine..

I've been waiting for years to for DCS to include the F/A-18.. Now if the latest technology allows for the complete rendering of the entire Gulf Map this will truly be awesome...

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I remember reading/watching a comparison on how much memory speed made a difference (DDR4) when playing VR games. It was actually astounding. So I'm very curious about the added BW on the memory DDR6 and what impact it will have.

And I too wonder why people care so much about others spending the money as they see fit. It's a personal choice. Want to buy a Ferrari? Knock yourself out. I too am after the best VR performance and don't mind paying the premium of upgrading every year. It's a luxury, but I work hard, and my kids college 529 accounts are still funded, and I can put food on the table. So $3K a year on passionate pursuit seems OK to me.

For all you smokers (like in New York) add up the cost of cigarettes and see how much *that* costs you. Or Starbucks coffee. Again, personal choice and I don't begrudge anyone anything. Enjoy DCS

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1