Look at this widowmaker

WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

looks like mechanical failures, bad weather, and pilot error for pretty well all the accidents, nothing inherently wrong with the plane... and very few accidents considering the plane has been around since the 50s...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its those darn J57s - early turbojets and all their problems. There is a huge decrease in the accident rate once the fleet was re-engined, nearly every crash was KC-135A (40 crashes vs 3 for the KC-135R and 2 for the KC-135E).

The early turbojets gave great high altitude cruise speeds, but the were quite underpowered for take-off - requiring things like water injection at higher take-off weights. This left little reserve for things like hot conditions, max gross weights, winds, etc.

Also, this was a early member of the jet age before fatigue life was well understood (and everything was being rapidly replaced by new or better designs - aircraft were meant for short service lives).

For context, from the late 50s-early 60s, ~30% of USN fighter pilots would either die or be seriously injured (permanently removed from flight status) during their tour due to operational accidents. It was a really dangerous time to be a pilot. After reading a compendium of Approach magazine articles, I've concluded that the F-8 Crusader was an absolute death trap!

-Nick

KC-135...Built when man thought he could burn water...And DID!

KC-135A, Q, R & KC-10A Boom Operator

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Widow Maker??? 4 crashes in the last 27 years??? 2 crashes in the last 17 years? For one of the most widely used aircraft in the USAF, amazingly still flying after decades of service? Over 50 years of continuous service, and crashes have gone done drastically in the last 25 years is pretty great for both pilots and MX folks alike. Service record in the cold war was pretty rough, but these aircraft were flown roughly.

KC-135 is a great plane, especially since the KC-767 never seems to be replacing it...

Ya gotta remember training has had an effect on specific accidents. Some good, some bad.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I am referring to the every month followed by every few months then followed by every year accidents. Yes I know its a multitude of factors but too much souls lost.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.