AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Are we going to be getting rid of the current Mavericks and replacing them with the AGM-65E and AGM-65F at some point?

What's the reason for adding the AGM-65D/H/K when the jet doesn't carry them, the AGM-65G makes sense in place of the F at least?

AFAIK they are still working on the E variant.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am down loading DCS 2.2 for the harrier question is when it finishes copying the files from 1.5 Bata can the bata be removed so as not to be using so much disk space

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Anyone experience "DCS has crashed" error? I was flying the 107th training mission yesterday in 1.5.8 and it was fine. This morning I load 1.5.8. and create my own mission, save it, and then try to fly. It always crashes after the jet is started up. Not sure what is going on as this was working a few days ago. I have been trying to use a JTAC unit I set up to help me drop some GBU-12's.

Not sure what changed but I am unable to create and fly a mission in both 1.5.8 and 2.2. Attached logs.

dcs.log-20171209-181804.zip

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I just took it for a spin for the first time... I love it! I finally have an aircraft I really enjoy that can make full use of my cockpit :P Thanks, RazBam (and ED, of course)

Now, unfortunately, I while maneuvering through the river canyons I heard a loud pop, spun out of control and crashed... So, I'm assuming this is the downside to flying an American machine, they're just not built to withstand abuse like the Russians I usually fly ;)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

HUD display modes are enabled:

25299905_1547022118717754_2205841209010985573_o.png?oh=3f7fdf12cc1341c75b32ac08ec121a27&oe=5AD1BEF8&__gda__=1523691558_d91b15a351d41fd048f53e7d379a43f2

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

For the specification of the AV8B NA, read the information provided in the module data in the e-shop post.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your answer, and I apologize if I am, but surely you are not saying the e-shop posting for the av-8b will answer any and all questions on specifications that are there / will become available later?

Probably a silly question but does either the N/A or Plus use a Head Mounted Display?

I would also love that, but alas, according to wikipedia, there were some plans to look at it, but seems it never materialized (And I guess no hope to see it in DCS then. Would have been very useful to slew sensors to where the helmet is looking though)

Wiki extract:

In 2013, the USMC was studying potential enhancements to keep the AV-8B Harrier IIs up to date until its planned retirement, such as a helmet-mounted cueing system. It is also predicted that additional work on the aircraft's radars and sensor systems may take place. The USMC's Harrier II fleet was planned to remain in service until 2030, owing to delays with the F-35B and the fact that the Harriers have more service life left than USMC F/A-18 Hornets.[60] However, by 2014 the USMC had decided to retire the AV-8B sooner because changing the transition orders of Harrier II and Hornet fleets to the Lightning II would save $1 billion.

Cheers

• Like 1

No, I'm not saying they'll answer all questions, but I can be very certain that if helmet mounted targeting was a feature, they'd have mentioned it. It would be a major factor, and definitely in the features list, wouldn't you agree?

If in doubt, see the F/A-18C blurb.

I also think your extract confirms that there hasn't even been one developed for the real thing.

No, I'm not saying they'll answer all questions, but I can be very certain that if helmet mounted targeting was a feature, they'd have mentioned it. It would be a major factor, and definitely in the features list, wouldn't you agree?

If in doubt, see the F/A-18C blurb.

I also think your extract confirms that there hasn't even been one developed for the real thing.

Sure, I agree, it would list most of the features, but I am sure there are many features that are included, and that are planned for future, that is not on that list. Its a relatively small list, and cannot contain everything.

Just felt a bit dismissive to just say go read the module listing post. Isn't discussing the module/AC what this forum thread is for?

Anyway, I don't want to fight, so I guess we can just agree to disagree :)

Cheers

Maybe I am misunderstanding your answer, and I apologize if I am, but surely you are not saying the e-shop posting for the av-8b will answer any and all questions on specifications that are there / will become available later?

I would also love that, but alas, according to wikipedia, there were some plans to look at it, but seems it never materialized (And I guess no hope to see it in DCS then. Would have been very useful to slew sensors to where the helmet is looking though)

Wiki extract:

In 2013, the USMC was studying potential enhancements to keep the AV-8B Harrier IIs up to date until its planned retirement, such as a helmet-mounted cueing system. It is also predicted that additional work on the aircraft's radars and sensor systems may take place. The USMC's Harrier II fleet was planned to remain in service until 2030, owing to delays with the F-35B and the fact that the Harriers have more service life left than USMC F/A-18 Hornets.[60] However, by 2014 the USMC had decided to retire the AV-8B sooner because changing the transition orders of Harrier II and Hornet fleets to the Lightning II would save $1 billion.

Cheers

Thanks for the helpful response :thumbup: rep inbound

Shame would have been fun, will just have to wait for the F-18. Think I need to look for a VFMA/VMA squadron :D

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Any news for the APKWS?

I believe they're waiting on ED to implement it as it's coming with the F/A-18C. Once ED sort it it can be added to the Harrier.

Got some questions before I buy.

2. Is the RWR still WIP? I noticed in a video that the RWR doesn't produce audio feedback for 'critical' threats or lock-ons. Is this intentional? The only info I have on the ALR-67 is from the F-14D Manual and it states that RWR audio is provided for the following

-missile alert

-missile launch

-critical threat (inner circle? Lock on?)

-status change (new guy? Non-critical ring to critical ring?)

I think the RWR simulation on the Harrier is very much WIP at this point. It's more a placeholder than an accurate simulation. The entire Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Cockpits\RWR folder has been copy pasted into the Harrier's folder and I don't know why because it doesn't use them. Also they've got the .lua's necessary for a simulation similar to the A-10C's RAE mod but it's not yet coded out. But it's definitely there.

I think it's safe to assume all will be sorted once RAZBAM get around to it.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

HUD RWR Symbology is now available. Now you can see radar threats without using the MPCD EW page.

25394831_1549176851835614_9047423866169434434_o.jpg?oh=74f602215d3a696014476b4517cf9a6b&oe=5ABC353C&__gda__=1522859746_3d5165b2ae83184e50b64a288b919673

25189079_1549176921835607_8007311217095322357_o.jpg?oh=7cc39ff04e8a09afeeada5e625c78381&oe=5AB90C24

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Any news for the APKWS?

ED is developing that one.

TGPOD AND LASING INFO

Hello to all. I need an information about the TGPOD. Someone of you knows when will be possible to use the laser to designate the target with the Tgpod carried by the Harrier ? Because after that I ve watched in you tube the video about how to slew it, I am able to do this thing too. But at the end I cannot find the equivalent button NWS (nose wheel steering) that there is in the A10C to lase the target Or maybe I miss something ?

Thanks

Is not implemented yet, but to activate the laser, it is within the MPCD TGP screen. Look at several shots on this video, you will see FIRE and "L" flashing

9NdXQK-2FMo

Also note that it appears the prefer method is the pod in HTS mode

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

So it's not yet implemented.... thank you very much for the quick and kind answer.... this simulation is really great... it's like in real life for what i see in the video that you post me.......I hope a patch will be given to us in order to be able to use the laser like in the video and actually like I supposed it worked....(fire button) ...thanks again.

Fabio