Sale... Whatcha bought?

bilbosmeggins

DCS related purchase? I’m intrigued.

Regarding the F-16, I’ve only taken off and landed a few times. The systems are well beyond me, so I haven’t so much as scratched the surface. But the bit of flying I did told me that I don’t particularly like the flight characteristics. Sluggish to manoeuvre, and feels like it’s on rails, with zero character. The absolute flip-side to the F-86, which has bags of personality. Not saying the F-16 is bad, or anything. It’s just that we all have our preferences, and I tend to like obsolete and quirky.

I think a fighterplane ( any) shouldn't have character at all in terms of handling. That is simply not the goal of a fighterjet.

For example: the F-35 is ( imho) ugly to the bone but...... It goes where the pilot wants it to go. Kind of point and click that is.

Managing the weapon systems is different cup of tea.

About the F16: I love that bird. Performance, design and looks, the sound also.. I personaly think ED did an excellent job in simulating the real thing

It's not finished of course but..... The first F16 dates from the late '70's and is still in production.

I think a fighterplane ( any) shouldn't have character at all in terms of handling. That is simply not the goal of a fighterjet.

For example: the F-35 is ( imho) ugly to the bone but...... It goes where the pilot wants it to go. Kind of point and click that is.

Managing the weapon systems is different cup of tea.

About the F16: I love that bird. Performance, design and looks, the sound also.. I personaly think ED did an excellent job in simulating the real thing

It's not finished of course but..... The first F16 dates from the late '70's and is still in production.

I agree. I’m not, for one moment, saying that the F-16 is bad. It’s just a flying computer, on as stable a platform as possible. But, to me, it feels like driving a posh saloon car, where the ride is so smooth you don’t realise that you’re doing twice the speed limit. Give me a bone shaker any day of the week.

Thought seriously about Huey, but trying not to buy anything else until Kiowa or Syria come out. Littlbird is keeping my helo training progressing in the mean time.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I agree. I’m not, for one moment, saying that the F-16 is bad. It’s just a flying computer, on as stable a platform as possible. But, to me, it feels like driving a posh saloon car, where the ride is so smooth you don’t realise that you’re doing twice the speed limit. Give me a bone shaker any day of the week.

I agree beyond 100% mate..

Drove many cars in my life, including Bentley, Ferrari, McLaren (Hell, that was funnnn) but my daily is still the king of all bone shakers to me..a 2002 MG-TF 135... :pilotfly:

I bought modules and terrains just before the sales...

You are new here .. there are sales about every 3 months, so I usually wait before purchasing at list price .. unless it is a just released item that has a reasonable discount.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You are new here .. there are sales about every 3 months, so I usually wait before purchasing at list price .. unless it is a just released item that has a reasonable discount.

Do you mean that the modules aren't worth the price? I thought they did when i bought them..

BONEWORKS dealwithit.png

And some other great VR experiences... rainbowdashwink.png

Since I got all the modules, I've got to drop my monies somewhere else rdlaugh.png

In DCS, Pre-Sale is my Sale of choice anyway. Could habe bought a few campaings though, but I haven't flown the others yet even, so that can wait icon_redface.gif

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

If there was ever a module I could refund it would be the I-16.

It just doesn't the attention it needs:(

I respectfully disagree. Of all the WW2 modules, the I-16 is the one I fly most regularly. It's challenging but, once you get to know it, you won't wanna fly anything else from that era (technically the I-16 is from the 30s but the Russians flew it well into 1943). She is not fast, but she is the most nimble thing out there and would easily outturn anyone stupid enough to engage you in a horizontal turning fight.

If I had a choice, I'd ask for a refund for the two FW-190s. I don't like the A8 and I really don't like the D9. To each his/her own, though... :)

Cheers,

Doc

Do you mean that the modules aren't worth the price? ..

I didn't say that at all ... it's just that I have so many DCS modules, that I can perfectly wait before purchasing another one.

For example, I did that with the Fw-190A-8, purchasing it at 50% off on April's sale .. I didnt mind waiting, as I already had the P-51, Bf-109, Spitfire and the Fw-190D.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thought seriously about Huey, but trying not to buy anything else until Kiowa or Syria come out.
Good idea to wait. Many Huey missions are unplayable since months due to the current defective embark/disembarking behaviour of DCS.

Here some references:

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Came back to DCS after a few years. Picked up my first HiFi module (went with the hornet so I could have lots of options about what to do). Picked up NTTR and am guessing I will get Persian Gulf before the end of the sale. Also grabbed a couple of campaigns, the Hornet BFM and F-15C Georgian War and BFM campaigns. Although now that I have the hornet, my interest in the FC3 planes has greatly diminished. I really like having fewer bindings to remember.

Trying to find something that will definitively keep me playing long-term. Only get an hour or two a night to play.

The biggest missing piece in my setup is some type of head tracking and that is really starting to keep me from diving into A/A any further. Just finding it too hard to fly and manually move the camera around.

The biggest missing piece in my setup is some type of head tracking and that is really starting to keep me from diving into A/A any further. Just finding it too hard to fly and manually move the camera around.

If your wallet and your pc can take it, then get VR. It’s the bomb! The experience is phenomenal compared to pancake. 1-1 head tracking, and full depth perception. You are placed IN the cockpit of your plane, within the world of DCS. There is nothing quite like it.

If your wallet and your pc can take it, then get VR. It’s the bomb! The experience is phenomenal compared to pancake. 1-1 head tracking, and full depth perception. You are placed IN the cockpit of your plane, within the world of DCS. There is nothing quite like it.

I can just concur. Flying in VR is the definition of Awesome. You don't want to miss that out. If your wallet might not be that deep, try getting a used Rift or Vive instead of grabbing something new off the shelf. I bought a CV1 like that last year when the guy I got it from received his Pimax. Was just 250€ for the whole set with touch controllers, two sensors and a VR cover. And he even cleaned the thing up, looked as if it was fresh out of the factory. Running med-high settings on an 8yo 3570k and a non-ti 1080. Would probably work well enough already on a 1060 6G or 1660 6G which are at around 250 ATM. So basically, you could get into VR for around 500 even if your rig isn't beefy enough yet. And that's something worth saving up for.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I decided to finally grab the Tomcat. Used what ED Miles I had accumulated to increase the discount. Now my 4th gen US library is complete with the F-14, F-15, F-16 and F/A-18.

I thought about the SuperCarrier but I'll wait until it's more feature complete.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

For me it’s not the wallet... a few years ago I had a really bad bout of migraines and ever since I get motion sickness incredibly easily. When I was younger I was roller coaster kind of person, when I went to the amusement park I’d ride them all day. Now I can feel every little oscillation in an airplane and I get nauseated fast.

Even simple little phone VR apps disorient me fast. I know there is some hope of acclimating yourself to VR, but I’m not looking to drop a few hundred bucks on something I may never be able to use. So for now, head tracking is the most sensical next step. Although I’m also thinking of going less than trackir, because it’s not a huge step from there to VR in cost, really, and so it’s kind of tempting to just push on up and try it, and I’m just not sure it’s a good idea.

For me it’s not the wallet... a few years ago I had a really bad bout of migraines and ever since I get motion sickness incredibly easily. When I was younger I was roller coaster kind of person, when I went to the amusement park I’d ride them all day. Now I can feel every little oscillation in an airplane and I get nauseated fast.

Even simple little phone VR apps disorient me fast. I know there is some hope of acclimating yourself to VR, but I’m not looking to drop a few hundred bucks on something I may never be able to use. So for now, head tracking is the most sensical next step. Although I’m also thinking of going less than trackir, because it’s not a huge step from there to VR in cost, really, and so it’s kind of tempting to just push on up and try it, and I’m just not sure it’s a good idea.

That’s a shame if it makes you ill. Vr, in it’s earlier years was quite nauseating. However, it has got better, both with developer’s understanding of how to reduce the effects, and, also, with hardware becoming more capable of higher frame-rates. Low FPS in vr is a sure recipe for headaches.

On the bright side, if you still fancied trying, there has never been a better time. With the current pandemic, vr has suddenly become real popular, and demand for headsets is at an all time high. Consequently, resale value is sky high too. I’ve seen resale units sold for more than RRP, simply because of the waiting lists for new ones. So you could try, and keep if all well, or just sell on if it didn’t work out for you. And have very little impact on your pocket.

At least you would know, categorically, if you could use vr now. Be an awful shame if you could, but never tried. It really is leagues above playing flat. So much so, that if vr was somehow cancelled, I very much doubt if I would bother with simming anymore.

Can understand the sentiment above. It's a big reason I didn't prepurchase the supercarrier. I'd rather wait till an ED module is more feature complete and bug free before buying again from them.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3