Trim control

gdotts

Trying to get the P-47D trimmed in and have the adjust control popup adjust all my trims and bind to my HOTAS for the ailerons and elevator. YES...they do go up and down both outside on the wings and inside the cockpit on the trim box...yea. They just don't go far enough to totally trim out the bird. I've tried it from cockpit trim box and HOTAS individually but still not rock steady hands off for more than 2 seconds at best. It is almost there! Anyone else noticed this too?

It has no FCS, so everytime something changes, you need to trim again.

Different air speed? Retrim

Different engine settings? Retrim

Different drag? Retrim

If you want it to be stable, do the following (like in real life)

Set engine

Set Attitude

Keep attitude with the stick until you reach some stable speeds

After achieving a stable attitude and speed, trim

But no, I could always trim it (somewhat) steady in my flights so far

• Like 1

Don't forget the rudder trim, use that first, as that is the most useful to counter the engine torque and prop wash then you will find that you don't need so much roll trim.

I'm using TrackIR so it frees up my hat on the joystick to use as rudder and elevator trim, three quick dabs of right rudder trim at cruising power and two for up elevator and that is pretty close for me, then let her settle and then fine tune the trim and I can go hands off for more than a minute without a problem.

Great aircraft to fly but man get out of shape and she bites :)

• Like 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Yes but I am flying level!! no change in speed, no engine adjustments at all. The at best I said 2 seconds but really it is constant stick adjustment...I would be totally happy at 3-5 seconds before slight adjustment is needed in level flight-constant speed seninerio. I've been flying DCS for 10 plus years from LOMAC on with 7 planes 2 helos. I am no expert and can be taught a thing or two... maybe three but it seems to me that the trim adjustment needs a little more added. Just my opinion.

Thanks

Actually I didn't have rudder trim bond into my HOTAS so I did. It made no difference for elevator trim which is my original problem and the little bit of aileron that was also off it had no effect on too. You mentioned you can go a minute without input after slight trimming….impressive! Mine is not at all! therefore my original problem exists. I see the trim tabs moving but constant stick input required to maintain level flight (no speed increase or engine changes invoked).

• Like 1

no problem here, trimming all 3 axes and they respond as expected.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes but I am flying level!! no change in speed, no engine adjustments at all. The at best I said 2 seconds but really it is constant stick adjustment...I would be totally happy at 3-5 seconds before slight adjustment is needed in level flight-constant speed seninerio. I've been flying DCS for 10 plus years from LOMAC on with 7 planes 2 helos. I am no expert and can be taught a thing or two... maybe three but it seems to me that the trim adjustment needs a little more added. Just my opinion.

Thanks

IDK. Haven’t noticed anything odd about the trim myself. But, then again, in this type of bird, all I expect trim to do is allow for a very light hand on the stick. Not hands free flying.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yeah, it's never going to trim out perfectly where you can go to the bathroom and come back... LOL I would like to see an option where you can set the trim sensitivity... I've seen mods for the Spitfire for that, but rather than a mod, just let us set it in the settings... like default setting is "one click equals = 1.0 adjustment" of trim, but let us set that to .5 or .2, or whatever someone prefers... it would help with getting a stable altitude, where one click up you nose down too much, but one click down on the trim hat and you're climbing... if that was broken into smaller increments, you could get it trimmed pretty level.

Okay so this is definitely a bug. Earlier today, trim work fine. Booted up tonight to go fly the jug and trim is all out of wack. I can see the trim tabs moving, and the trim box indicators are moving, but there is ZERO change in flight characteristics. This only applies to aileron and elevator trim for me. Rudder trim works like normal.

Same thing discussed here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276552

Rudder and elevator trim are your most important controls, as any change in speed, attitude, pitch, power settings, mean you have to trim, rudder to balance the torque and prop wash and elevator to hold your altitude and attitude. To be honest I have not had to touch roll trim when flying in a cruise configuration, its different if you have just dropped one bomb off of one wing then you have to trim that out.

I'm awaiting new sensors arriving for my cougar joystick, so I'm using a TM 16000M twisty stick for pitch roll and rudder and I have rudder and pitch trim mapped to the hat on that. I'm still using the Cougar throttle for throttle control with the antenna elevation rotary for propeller pitch, I have not mapped mixture to anything yet. The other thing to check is your centre of gravity, if you have fuel in the rear Aux tank then the aircraft does tend to be a lot more unstable so try and keep a forward CofG

Clan Cameron

Okay so this is definitely a bug. Earlier today, trim work fine. Booted up tonight to go fly the jug and trim is all out of wack. I can see the trim tabs moving, and the trim box indicators are moving, but there is ZERO change in flight characteristics. This only applies to aileron and elevator trim for me. Rudder trim works like normal.

Are you in Game mode or Sim mode?

In Game mode the trim does nothing.

Clan Cameron

Same thing discussed here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276552

Rudder and elevator trim are your most important controls, as any change in speed, attitude, pitch, power settings, mean you have to trim, rudder to balance the torque and prop wash and elevator to hold your altitude and attitude. To be honest I have not had to touch roll trim when flying in a cruise configuration, its different if you have just dropped one bomb off of one wing then you have to trim that out.

I'm awaiting new sensors arriving for my cougar joystick, so I'm using a TM 16000M twisty stick for pitch roll and rudder and I have rudder and pitch trim mapped to the hat on that. I'm still using the Cougar throttle for throttle control with the antenna elevation rotary for propeller pitch, I have not mapped mixture to anything yet. The other thing to check is your centre of gravity, if you have fuel in the rear Aux tank then the aircraft does tend to be a lot more unstable so try and keep a forward CofG

No it's not the same thing there. It was literally not functional AT ALL. I ended up correcting it by deleting any input files both in the core data, and saved games section, and deleting aileron and elevator flight model files, then repairing.

This wasn't a case of not understanding how the trim works, or the implication of torque moments. Constant speed, constant engine power/rpm/boost/mixture, and level flight, the trim didn't have any effect for roll or pitch

No autopilot asked for, just trim!

As mentioned earlier in a pervious responders reply on a Spitfire seen mod to address trim adjustment. Is there a way to adjust in a mod or file for P-47 and P-51 because both could use it. As I said before 3 - 5 seconds ONLY of stable hands off flight would be wonderful....that's not asking much! Since prop driven planes don't have the luxury of an autopilot as their jet brothers do, a trim that WORKS for seconds before a constant micromanaged stick input is required would be a blessing. Do you agree??

As I said before 3 - 5 seconds ONLY of stable hands off flight would be wonderful....that's not asking much! Since prop driven planes don't have the luxury of an autopilot as their jet brothers do, a trim that WORKS for seconds before a constant micromanaged stick input is required would be a blessing. Do you agree??

That's already achievable with current implementation, however. Check out the replay I recorded in Instant Free Fligth mission. No controllers were plugged in, I flew the plane only by trimming it with keyboard. After getting vertical velocity to zero, the plane flew hands off pretty much for a whole minute, rolling very slowly to the right at the end, but I'm sure I could dial that out with a tap or two of left aileron trim and fly hands off even longer.

Don't press trim button/keys, just tap them.

2.5.6_P-47_trim_test.trk

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have slowed the propeller lever movement as well as the the wingspan lever in the gunsight because I found them too fast. I believe I could do it for the trim commands as well. But frankly I don't see a need for that.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I did that and it responded to trim commands and flew better. I then replugged in the Warthog and the plane started to drift again and not respond in flight to trim tabs adjusting eventhough I could see the trim tabs moving on the surfaces. Did your joystick get an effect after you unplugged and replugged in??I wrote Thrustmaster on this. We will see what they say. One thing is the jets trim I can trim out flight. Why the prop planes won't I don't know.

I didn't re-plug it in later, didn't have time for gaming yesterday, it was just a quick test. But if doing so makes trims unusable as you write, it only means DCS-hot-plug function (which is still relatively new and WIP) just doesn't work reliably across all the modules.

I don't think Thrustmaster will help, as it's simply not a problem on their side. ED will have to tackle this.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

same bug here. :

roll and rudder trim works well

vertical elevator trim doesn't, also in cockpit the wheel works but absolutly no effect on flight.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Elevator trim works fine here. I'm not saying that you are wrong; but it's obviously not generally defective. I have tested in flight, trimming for level hands-off flight and then trimmed nose-up and nose-down. All trim changes had the expected effect.

PS: I have bound the elevator trim commands to a POV hat on my stick. If I had used an axis, the result might have been different.

LeCuvier

I am not sure,in that my elevator trim is working perfectly,and as it should,I am using a Saitek Cessna trim wheel as my elevator trim operator,and this is obviously bound to an axis.

I have always found this far more effective than using any buttons bound to my other hardware.

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem

• 5 months later...

I use the TM Warthog HOTAS and encountered a similar problem when I assigned trim to the hat switch.

It almost felt as if the inputs were still being fed even after I had released the switch.

I solved the elevator trim issue by binding it to the "throttle friction" slider (the grey wheel with the lever on it, to the right of the throttle levers)which gives a more positive and controlled response.

Aerilon trim remains on the hat and has to be watched.

Rudder trim is assigned to keyboard Left and Right arrows and seems to work well.

I never appreciated just how crucial trim was until I flew the P-51D Mustang "Crazy Horse" in 2012. Trim, as has been said elsewhere, is something that is constantly reset after every manouvre and power change.

Edited by BoNidle