R-77/27 family CFD rework

As far as I know ED is still working on the AIM-120. In theory, when they finish the 120 update they would move on to the R-27. I don't expect it to start in at least a year or 2, maybe more. Why? Well none of the planes that ED is doing/will probably be doing soon uses them, and not much people plays the planes that already use them so it can be pushed further back. After all they said they would be taking the development of most if not all the 3rd parties' weapons, which means the SD-10 is going to get a lot of attention. That's going to push the R-27's updates further

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Would like to know if it's in the works atm or if ED is still working on 120s and the new missile API

About it will the missile API introduce predictive guidance or simply PN and APN

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4346897&postcount=24

They'll do it after the AMRAAMs are done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

About it will the missile API introduce predictive guidance or simply PN and APN

A couple of forms of PN are the only known available algorithms in game right now. BTW, 'predictive guidance' tends to be a PN derivative depending on which algo you choose. They typically add more terms to reduce/eliminate maneuvering due to PN's own characteristics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The main issue plaguing P-27 family is the lift and Gs factors, along with some guidance bugs (mostly chaff related).

Basically the missile is dead when it reaches speeds below M1.5, and is unable to maneuver to intercept even though its big fins and body should in theory provide for much more lift/vectoring than other comparable missiles (of course at the expense of more drag). For example, in contrast a 120 can still climb and hit a target even when it does M0.4!

In addition it appears that P-27s are unable to pull more than 10Gs in maneuvering whilst commonly available data indicates they should be easily able to do more than twice of that number? A pheonix does better than ER pulling Gs!

Those two factors alone reduce the kinematic effectiveness of the missile by a large percentage, IMO.

Then there is the chaff bug, and some weird fuse behaviors when they can literally flyby someones canopy without detonation... I see people dodging R-27 by just doing retarted aileron rolls head on, from NEZ. Missile flies right by, no fuse... kind of pathetic really. These last two issues could easily be fixed by amending scripted .LUA values.

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

The main issue plaguing P-27 family is the lift and Gs factors, along with some guidance bugs (mostly chaff related).

Basically the missile is dead when it reaches speeds below M1.5, and is unable to maneuver to intercept even though its big fins and body should in theory provide for much more lift/vectoring than other comparable missiles (of course at the expense of more drag). For example, in contrast a 120 can still climb and hit a target even when it does M0.4!

In addition it appears that P-27s are unable to pull more than 10Gs in maneuvering whilst commonly available data indicates they should be easily able to do more than twice of that number? A pheonix does better than ER pulling Gs!

Those two factors alone reduce the kinematic effectiveness of the missile by a large percentage, IMO.

Then there is the chaff bug, and some weird fuse behaviors when they can literally flyby someones canopy without detonation... I see people dodging R-27 by just doing retarted aileron rolls head on, from NEZ. Missile flies right by, no fuse... kind of pathetic really. These last two issues could easily be fixed by amending scripted .LUA values.

I thought the Phoenix was working like an Amraam now? Also how much range can we get out of these changes?

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

A couple of forms of PN are the only known available algorithms in game right now. BTW, 'predictive guidance' tends to be a PN derivative depending on which algo you choose. They typically add more terms to reduce/eliminate maneuvering due to PN's own characteristics.

Yeah I'd like to know why they haven't considered it though

Zero effort miss and time to go calculations with a PG/PN algorithm would mean the missile gets more bang for its buck

But also that the R-27R/RE would be impervious to Jamming

Seeing as its PN only wouldn't that mean as its modeled currently, shooting before burn through would have no effect on how accurately it makes its intercept?

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

ECM is a separate subject and I'd love for it to get better treatment. But it's also not trivial and - you can see how much complaining there is right now about everything, imagine how many bug reports would result from ECM working :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

ECM is a separate subject and I'd love for it to get better treatment. But it's also not trivial and - you can see how much complaining there is right now about everything, imagine how many bug reports would result from ECM working :D
For once we can agree. Certainly ECM environment is something nobody can really implement with certain accuracy.

But basic issues such as the one's listed above relating to aerodynamic performance can be fixed to a good (we cant expect perfect) realism levels.

Отправлено с моего STV100-2 через Tapatalk

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

+1

As far as I'm concerned the 77 (RVV-AE) already performs pretty closely to the real life values, although a new CFD rework/treatment surely wouldn't be too bad.

As for the R-27 family, a CFD rework and proper PN guidence (akind of Deka's work on the SD-10/PL-12) would be very welcome and at least give you a little bit more range and less "yeet-guidence" we are seing currently. Not that the AMRAAm is currently in a better state with the constant, never ending work going on.