Nukes

Notso

IF ED won't do nukes, i dont think there is anything stopping the community modders from at least doing a stand in nuke option for aircraft that had them along the lines of R24/R28 for other aircraft, where it functions like a giant bomb ( due to lack of proper nuclear explosion effects)

I would certainly love to do some nuke lobbing in an F86F block 35 sabre. Put LABS to its proper use.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

IF ED won't do nukes, i dont think there is anything stopping the community modders from at least doing a stand in nuke option for aircraft that had them along the lines of R24/R28 for other aircraft, where it functions like a giant bomb ( due to lack of proper nuclear explosion effects)

I would certainly love to do some nuke lobbing in an F86F block 35 sabre. Put LABS to its proper use.

I vaguely remember a discussion on this subject either on FC2 or SB forums.

It really cracked me up when someone brought up 'over the shoulder' toss of the nuke also known as an 'idiot loop'. I thought that was a joke... at first :D

Nukes belong in a game like this.

A modern Combat Simulator, without the ultimate weapon, is lacking in its goal of being a realistic simulator of modern aircraft.

If you think that, fly/ drop/ end of story, or a big mushroom, is all that it means, then the nuke is not for you.

If you see it as an opportunity, to look out of the convention weapon box, then it opens up a great deal of new scenarios.

The RN 24/28 Nukes, have been around for a long time in DCS and have gradually deterioated in their character over the years, but with DCS declaring their stance on nuclear weapons, they are unlikely to introduce their own version.

Maybe third parties will step up.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

The RN 24/28 Nukes, have been around for a long time in DCS and have gradually deterioated in their character over the years, but with DCS declaring their stance on nuclear weapons, they are unlikely to introduce their own version..

How so, actually? I mean, I remember that the crater effect at least used to work properly and now, well, doesn't. But other than that, what changed for them?

Why is everyone only talking about competetive MP here? While I agree that there is not much use for a nuke there, I can imagine a lot of interesting SP/Coop missions with tactical nukes.

Yep, this was my point all along. Not to be lobbed in the middle of an airquake mele.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

How so, actually? I mean, I remember that the crater effect at least used to work properly and now, well, doesn't. But other than that, what changed for them?

Extract from the last video I made, over a year ago:-

The large RN 24, 10 kt. nuke is completely useless, so let's see if the titchy RN 28 is any good. I use to be able to lob this about 5.2 miles, but now it's just over 4, so already it looks bad. The reason for the shortfall is the rapid reduction in speed after launch, as if it's retarded.

The terminal velocity of this bomb, is less than a Mk 83 at its apex.

Update: When dropped from 22000', the RN-28 bomb actually slows down to a terminal velocity of 340 kts. Safe drop is 15000' AGL. giving 4.0 nm distance.

A mk 83, increases speed to 730 kts. for comparison.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

There were nukes a long time ago for the mig 21. Was a disaster for any server they were used on. Many server owners would ban anyone using them.

If you play exclusively, homemade single player missions, as I do, then the online, Dick'edd factor, can be disregarded and you can enjoy your Nuke experience in peace,

There were nukes a long time ago for the mig 21. Was a disaster for any server they were used on. Many server owners would ban anyone using them.

I can only repeat myself:

Why is everyone only talking about competetive MP here? While I agree that there is not much use for a nuke there, I can imagine a lot of interesting SP/Coop missions with tactical nukes.

DCS isn't just about (competitive) multiplayer. Some people don't seem to understand that...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I can only repeat myself:

DCS isn't just about (competitive) multiplayer. Some people don't seem to understand that...

…not to mention that it's pretty trivial to imagine something very similar for competitive multiplayer. DE_Dust has to be one of the most played PvP maps ever created, and what's that all about? Oh, it's about delivering a bomb to a place and if you succeed, everything blows up you say? I wonder how you could replicate that scenario in DCS…

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Extract from the last video I made, over a year ago:-

The large RN 24, 10 kt. nuke is completely useless, so let's see if the titchy RN 28 is any good. I use to be able to lob this about 5.2 miles, but now it's just over 4, so already it looks bad. The reason for the shortfall is the rapid reduction in speed after launch, as if it's retarded.

The terminal velocity of this bomb, is less than a Mk 83 at its apex.

Update: When dropped from 22000', the RN-28 bomb actually slows down to a terminal velocity of 340 kts. Safe drop is 15000' AGL. giving 4.0 nm distance.

A mk 83, increases speed to 730 kts. for comparison.

Thanks, I never quite bothered to test things like that out with the two, really. Stupidly believed that the physics of an object of known mass and shape falling to the ground would not be much of a challenge, really.

One of the biggest reasons they won't go there is nuclear procedures and safeguards are highly classified. I've flown on nuclear bombers, good luck getting any information to accurately model them on a Viper, Mud Hen, Bug or BUFF.

Now what is within the realm of modeling are 50's or 60's era aircraft. If anyone modeled a century series aircraft those systems are old enough to be declassified. It would actually be quite challenging to run an intercept and use a Genie from a Deuce or 106.

The moral side should not matter period. This is a video game and a nuke wouldn't mean that they stand for nuclear proliferation or any other policies. Its a video game with a nuke. Wow never seen that before.

The only viable opposition to nuclear bombs would just be the pure coding effort and the fact that it would surely crash any system alone because of the graphics.

Because of this, I don't think it should be added. Purely technical challenges.

:joystick: oops

Modules I own: F-16CM, F/A-18C Lot 20, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, FC3<bleh

One of the biggest reasons they won't go there is nuclear procedures and safeguards are highly classified. I've flown on nuclear bombers, good luck getting any information to accurately model them on a Viper, Mud Hen, Bug or BUFF.

This and the technical difficulties of simulating nuclear explosions within the DCS engine are legit reasons to not simulate them in DCS!

What I don't get is the moral argument, as we have all sorts of nasty things in DCS already, like cluster munitions which are banned by many countries for being inhuman, even by countries that are using nukes.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Do you think people are able to port over the warhead of the RN-24 and RN-28 to other things? or are those bombs themselves just say...1,000Ib bombs with their explosive radius and damage set to 10,000%?

I ask because ever since it's introduction I'd like to see a Nuclear version of the SCUD missile...as it was it's intended deployment in the Cold war. Having it fired from a missile also means you don't need to worry about killing yourself trying to use it on the Mig 21 and would give a nice "Race against the clock" or even a Just Cause 2 esk "Shoot them down before they get too high and too fast".

Yeah, nukes in DCS are only just general purpose bombs with an obscenely large warhead. You don't need all the data on precisely how the bomb works because it can be approximated without loosing accuracy.

All we need to know is what needs doing from the cockpit to employ them (which in the case of the F-16 and F/A-18, seems pretty obvious).

I don't get the moral argument, we already have cluster bombs (some purpose built to kill personnel). Aren't we getting an napalm-successor incendiary bomb for the F/A-18C? (Mark 77)

What I do get is the feasibility argument that comes with processing the destruction as well as maybe the graphics.

Otherwise, I'm for nuclear weapons in DCS, they're a fact of reality and they were the king pin of the Cold War whichever way you look at it.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Do you think people are able to port over the warhead of the RN-24 and RN-28 to other things? or are those bombs themselves just say...1,000Ib bombs with their explosive radius and damage set to 10,000%?

They are just conventional bombs with a big radius of effect. The DCS engine does not simulate nuclear explosions.

Tornado3 small.jpg

This and the technical difficulties of simulating nuclear explosions within the DCS engine are legit reasons to not simulate them in DCS!

What I don't get is the moral argument, as we have all sorts of nasty things in DCS already, like cluster munitions which are banned by many countries for being inhuman, even by countries that are using nukes.

QuiGon,

The moral argument thing is a particularly bad question to ask me since I signed a no reservation pledge in order to commission as an USAF officer who wanted to fly planes...

QuiGon,

The moral argument thing is a particularly bad question to ask me since I signed a no reservation pledge in order to commission as an USAF officer who wanted to fly planes...

Good thing it's just a video game, then, huh

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2