what's the black part called?

paulRubens

It's where they plug in a cable to ground the aircraft and draw off any static electricity (which can be very bad in the presence of jet fuel or live ordinance)

The other end as a clamp similar to what you'd find on a battery jumper cable and that gets clamped to a metal D Ring embedded in the concrete on the ramp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

this pic shows the port side, but

the starboard side of the wheel has a BLACK device, what is that black device?

Sorry I don't know the name of this part, just infront of the wheel housing.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/don_busack/a-10a_thunderbolt_ii/images/a-10a_thunderbolt_ii_19_of_70.jpg

He is describing the forward part of the right gear nacelle:

A-10-1200_480-1200x0-c-default.jpg

I think he might be asking about the IFF(?) antenna on the right wing.

Not quite. I wondered the same thing and got different answers from different crew chiefs, but after working on this thing for the last few years I was smart enough to stick my head in the well a few months ago :lol: It is the ILS antenna but lets keep that a mystery. :thumbup:

Edited by zinhawk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 5 3600 (4.1Ghz), 32 GB DDR4, Sapphire R9 390X Nitro, Fatal1ty B450 K4

TrackIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Not quite. I wondered the same thing and got different answers from different crew chiefs, but after working on this thing for the last few years I was smart enough to stick my head in the well a few months ago :lol: It is the ILS antenna but lets keep that a mystery. :thumbup:

Or log into ETIMS and look in the dash 1 or 2-1-1 ;)

Data plate behind it says Glide Slope Antenna.

You’re correct it’s the Localizer/Glide Slope antenna.

From the DCS A-10C manual:

The corresponding right wheel well end is colored black and houses the IFF receiver.

The DCS manual is wrong. The IFF antenna is located forward of the GPS antenna (behind the canopy).

Edited by Snoopy

Data plate behind it says Glide Slope Antenna.

You’re correct it’s the Localizer/Glide Slope antenna.

[...]

The DCS manual is wrong. The IFF antenna is located forward of the GPS antenna (behind the canopy).

Wow, good to know. Thanks guys!

There's another IFF antenna on the bottom rear of the aircraft too, which helps eliminate issues with airframe shadowing.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: