Phantom Control 0.4 alpha (phantom-lead)

Bublik

http://www.asnr47.dsl.pipex.com/files/bubl/LOPhantom04alpha.zip

Requires Loman 2.1 Final, and quite complicated to use and understand :)

The addon (PhantomControl) could be useful for virtual aerobatic teams, making it possible to "fly in a track" over the internet.

clipboard019gj.jpg

As an added bonus (not the main feature), there is also Showcontrols.exe utility that provides visualisation of movements of the stick, throttle, and rudder peadals during playback of a normal LO-track (you will need a corresponding phtrk for that)

showcontrols3fb.th.jpg

The usability has yet to be improved, so QuickStart.txt is provided, please read carefully. Also there are some samples of the missions and phtrk.

The software is provided as is, and still in early alpha stages.

I'd like to thank Frazer and the White Ravens Aerobatic Team for pre-alpha testing and useful comments.

P.S. The intended use is to record a track, start server, launch the phantom-lead on the server (it will look like the phantom-lead is flying from the server).

A quote from QuickStart.txt:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1

Create a network mission (e.g. 'phantom_network.mis'). Save it.

Change the 'Skill' of one of the 'Client' aircraft to 'Player'.

Save the mission under another name (e.g. 'phantom_single.mis')

Stage 2

Start PhantomControl

Check

Random [OFF]

Trace [OFF]

Phantom [OFF]

Show [OFF]

Exit PhantomControl

Start LockOn

Record a track from the single-player version of the mission ('phantom_single.mis')

Let's say the track name is 'phantom.trk'

Exit LockOn

Stage 3

Start PhantomControl

Check

Trace [ON]

Everything else is [OFF]

Exit PhantomControl

Start LockOn

Play the track ('phantom.trk')

Exit LockOn

Stage 4

Start PhantomControl

Click the [Convert] button

Enter a file name (.phtrk)

Click Save

A .phtrk will be created in 'Temp' folder.

Ejection and Recovery are appended at the end if "Loop" checkbox is checked.

Exit PhantomControl

Stage 5

Start PhantomControl

Press the [use] button

Check

Phantom [ON]

Everything else is [OFF]

Exit PhantomControl

Start LockOn

Open the original single-player mission ('phantom_single.mis')

Click 'Fly' (or 'Record track')

Alternatively, create server, open the multiplayer mission ('phantom_network.mis')

Choose the aircraft you have changed to 'Player' creating the single-player mission.

Click 'Fly'

Exit LockOn

Stage 6

Start PhantomControl

Switch everithing [OFF] if you are not planning to use the phantom

next time you launch LockOn.

Exit PhantomControl

Stage 5A (using ShowControls.exe)

Start PhantomControl

Press the [use] button

Check

Show [ON]

Everything else is [OFF]

Exit PhantomControl

Start ShowControls

Start LockOn (do not minimize ShowControls, and make sure LockOn is not in fullscreen)

Open the track ('phantom.trk')

Click 'Play the track'

Exit LockOn

Exit ShowControls

That's pretty cool... so you could customize what each jet is doing in a multiplayer game?

Theoretically, yes. But I guess all the "phantom" clients have to be on the same LAN, and you will need some kind of synchronization.

I did not test it even with two phantoms at the same time :)

The main purpose was to have the lead whenever wingmen need it, even if our (human) lead is not available at some times.

How?

Remember this thread? ;)

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=12740

It's not exactly what we were talking about, but close.

P.S. Possibly, there is a confusion due to ShowControls. It is NOT the main thing here. The main program is PhantomControl.

mmm.. didn't understand you duuude..

Yeah, it is not easy to understand, what it does, and it's even harder to understand how to use it :D

Basically, you can record a track offline, make a phtrk from that track (using the addon). Then switch the "Phantom" on, start LO server and it will fly for you, exactly like in the track that you recorded previously and converted to phtrk.

We use it when our lead can't fly for a few days in a row. He sends me a track, and we (the wingmen) fly with his "phantom".

So, can the phantom be damaged/destroyed by missiles, guns, collisions, etc.?

Yes. The phantom controls a human-flyable client aircraft using a prerecorded sequence of stick, rudder and throttle inputs, nothing else. From other player's point of view it looks like somebody (a human) is flying from the server.

Yeah, it is not easy to understand, what it does, and it's even harder to understand how to use it :D

Basically, you can record a track offline, make a phtrk from that track (using the addon). Then switch the "Phantom" on, start LO server and it will fly for you, exactly like in the track that you recorded previously and converted to phtrk.

We use it when our lead can't fly for a few days in a row. He sends me a track, and we (the wingmen) fly with his "phantom".

Great, it's like ghosts in CONDOR Soaring Simulator.. I did a nice 4 ship by my self..

Cool, I'll try it

Robbie.

Haven't been able to do this particular test, but is it possible to make a phtrk from a Multiplayer track?

It's possible, but I would not recommend doing this :)

Because the result is likely to diverge by a few hundred meters due to (non-zero) pings.

But, if you only need the phtrk (from multiplayer track) to use with ShowControls, it will work fine, as it does not require comparable precision.

Um, not quite sure I get what you mean here :)

Hi bublik...

y'know .. mission brief...before you start your mission you get a "briefing"

of waypoints and targets....

It appears thru you screen shot that you have a transparent window ontop

of lockon showing %data%.

What about expanding it a bit for waypoints, alt. speed, target..etc...

Thanks,

Brett

Hi bublik...

y'know .. mission brief...before you start your mission you get a "briefing"

of waypoints and targets....

It appears thru you screen shot that you have a transparent window ontop

of lockon showing %data%.

What about expanding it a bit for waypoints, alt. speed, target..etc...

I see. It is not going to be easy, because AFAIK the briefing of a network mission is not easily available for external programs (on a client PC).

• Like 1

Would it be possible to 'show controls' during a track replay after a phtrk was created. Basically I want others to be able to watch a formation flying track and see what I'm doing with the controls. It seems like it would be possible as you could still have the phantom entering control inputs during track replay even though those inputs wouldn't actually be doing anything.

Would it be possible to 'show controls' during a track replay after a phtrk was created. Basically I want others to be able to watch a formation flying track and see what I'm doing with the controls. It seems like it would be possible as you could still have the phantom entering control inputs during track replay even though those inputs wouldn't actually be doing anything.

Yes, that is what I had in mind making "ShowControls".

When "Show" is ON, "Phantom" is always OFF, so to use "ShowControls" mode you have to "Play track", rather than "Fly" or "Start mission" (which is the case when the "Phantom" is ON), because in "Show" mode the control inputs (recorded in phtrk) are transmitted over to "ShowControls.exe" during the playback of a track (trk) using TCP sockets, while in "Phantom" mode those inputs are actually controlling the user aircraft.

In short, the phantom does not enter control inputs in "Show" mode at all, as those inputs are diverted to "ShowControls".

Does it make any sense? :D

Thanks for the program :) It sounds great.

Does it "save" the weapon management too?

It was not properly tested, but it should work. I believe :)

Now that I think about it, the utility could be used to "cheat" in offline missions.

It would be like Ctrl+Q (taking control in a track), but it would be possible to record a new track, repeating original up to some point.

I've been testing this mod since the early stages of its development and I want to thank Vladimir for this breakthrough in the virtual aerobatic community!

This is an excelent training method and yes, it truely works!!!(and i'm not a salesman ;))

The best way to do it is to fly the track (on the computer you normally fly) and trace it by "SHOW REPLAYS". Then convert it and copy-paste the ".phtrk" from the "temp" folder in lockon to the "temp" folder on your 2nd computer.(ofcourse you have to have PhCtr installed on both computers) Then let your 2nd computer fly the track and you can find out how good YOU are with leading :icon_supe

(also don't forget to place the "phantom_network.mis" on both computers)

The thing what needs to be mentioned is that you need to taxy VERY slowely and make VERY small (slow changing) inputs. Otherwise PhCtr will not be able to synchronize with the track. It will result into a bad lineup of the Phantom plane with the runway center line.(you will endup in the grass :icon_excl)

There is also a way to make your phantom plane give commands.

Use a "digital sound recorder" to record when you fly the track for the phantom plane and give all your calls like "left turn starting Now". After that, lay a micofone near the sound box of your (phantom) computer and let it run while being logged onto ventrilo or teamspeak with "voice activation" on. Now follow your own commands and you will know what the phantom plane will do next!

Tip: also record a "count down" before starting the track. Then you will be sinchronised when pressing the "S" key to start mission on your server. (you can also make a delay like 0.5 second for the lag you will have with people online)

Another thing worth to add is when you are flying the track and recording, make sure the lockon sounds are off. (Not the volume slider but the other ones, like engine sounds)

HAVE FUN ALL :rolleyes:

Frazer

• Like 1

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...