JSOW Moving Target

Tuna-Salad

Just want to verify that this means while the MAV E or LGB is on the way that you have to keep slewing the crosshairs on the FLIR screen to stay on the moving target, correct?

I was practicing this yesterday and it was harder than I thought. It really took total concentration to keep those crosshairs on a small moving target like a tank...especially as the HUD wasn't giving me a TTI countdown and I had no idea when I was close to impact :smilewink:

No, with a Tpod you should be able to lock a moving tank from around 16nm... well, I got this figure from my test in 2.5.5 ver. I tracked the targets from over 20nm by moving the Tpod cursor and when I closed in to around 16nm the Tpod got a lock (in PTRK) Just make sure you're ready to fire when you have a lock and avoid fumbling with other stuff like I did. I switched SOI momentarily for whatever reason and when I got back to Tpod screen the lock was broken :noexpression: It took some frantic slewing but I managed to re-acquire. The laser will track your locked target.

No, with a Tpod you should be able to lock a moving tank from around 16nm... well, I got this figure from my test in 2.5.5 ver. I tracked the targets from over 20nm by moving the Tpod cursor and when I closed in to around 16nm the Tpod got a lock (in PTRK) Just make sure you're ready to fire when you have a lock and avoid fumbling with other stuff like I did. I switched SOI momentarily for whatever reason and when I got back to Tpod screen the lock was broken :noexpression: It took some frantic slewing but I managed to re-acquire. The laser will track your locked target.

Thanks, just got it working...didn't know about PTRK :smilewink:

It is interesting that I can lock a target from out of range with PTRK but need to continue updating the lock until I finally get in range and am ready to fire. Odd is the MAV indicator on the HUD remains crossed out even while in range and able to fire...guess I thought it would change and show on the HUD as active? Still works though which is most important :thumbup:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Thanks, just got it working...didn't know about PTRK :smilewink:

It is interesting that I can lock a target from out of range with PTRK but need to continue updating the lock until I finally get in range and am ready to fire. Odd is the MAV indicator on the HUD remains crossed out even while in range and able to fire...guess I thought it would change and show on the HUD as active? Still works though which is most important :thumbup:

I guess the Mav's seeker has to be happy too. It helps if you keep the jet steady when you get in range. The Mav's seeker seems to wonder a bit with the slightest disturbance.

Today I flew a mission attacking 3 boats with Lmavs. One boat was big, a tanker the other 2 were gunboats. No problem locking the tanker from a safe distance. The gunboats gave me hard time. I was able to lock them from around 3.5nm which was still enough time to smoke'em.

Edited by Gripes323

I guess the Mav's seeker has to be happy too. It helps if you keep the jet steady when you get in range. The Mav's seeker seems to wonder a bit with the slightest disturbance.

Today I flew a mission attacking 3 boats with Lmavs. One boat was big, a tanker the other 2 were gunboats. No problem locking the tanker from a safe distance. The gunboats gave me hard time. I was able to lock them from around 3.5nm which was still enough time to smoke'em.

Cool...so you're using the Mav against naval targets as well? Have to give that a try. When would the Harpoon be more appropriate against vessels?

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Cool...so you're using the Mav against naval targets as well? Have to give that a try. When would the Harpoon be more appropriate against vessels?

Yea, except I lied... I was using Mav F not E. I was just messing around with different options. As far as Harpoons go I did some tests in previous version on moving subs (surfaced;)) and they actually connected with the subs as long as Harpoons approached along the course line of the subs. I used pop up for terminal. If you use skim the Harpoon might just fly over the sub. It seems like Harpoons work for the most part. I primarily used them against tankers hoping to see nice secondaries…

I boxed the "SEA" option on the Mav F screen, not sure if it makes any difference here. The crosshair changed a little.

Edit: "SHIP" not "sea"

Edited by Gripes323

Yea, except I lied... I was using Mav F not E. I was just messing around with different options. As far as Harpoons go I did some tests in previous version on moving subs (surfaced;)) and they actually connected with the subs as long as Harpoons approached along the course line of the subs. I used pop up for terminal. If you use skim the Harpoon might just fly over the sub.

I boxed the "SEA" option on the Mav F screen, not sure if it makes any difference here. The crosshair changed a little.

Cool...I'll tryout the Mav's and Harpoons and see what happens :pilotfly: