Left roll with Litening on STA 4

jeffham222

Seems a bit too much roll--I know the Litening sticks out from the fuselage more and is a bit bigger than an ATFLIR--so it has more drag, but not as much as I seem to be getting. The smallest bit of RWD trim is too much though, it seems. This obviously happens when manually flying the jet, not on autopilot. It isn't drastically dipping my left wing, but it is enough to be annoying and causing me to depend more on the autopilot to flying straight and level.

I am more than happy to be told I am screwing something up if I am or at least expecting a rock solid, stable straight flying aircraft when I shouldn't be.

Thanks in advance!

Intel Core i7-6700@3.4GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Are you flying with a 120 or 7 in the opposite station?

Nope, but a -120 shouldn't counterbalance the pod, even in RL I'd assume just based on the two sizes and drag...

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

What makes you think that?

Well--and I do not mean to be condescending--my basic understanding of physics. The Litening has much more of a diameter than a -120. Also, the attachment arm the pod has is pretty big (it makes it stick out more than any type of FLIR); part of the diameter of the -120 is "hidden" (for lack of a better phrase) by the fuselage hip or cheek station. -7s or -120s are almost flush to the fuselage compared to FLIR/ATFLIR/Litening/LDT/SCAM pods.

This roll behavior--I think--must be a mismodeling issue as I have noticed that a TACTS pod and -9X (or whatever version of -9 is on there) aren't balanced either on the wingtip stations. The approximate same amount of roll is noticeable when you fly the free flight mission in the Persian Gulf map.

I would assume the FCS would account for this in the sim, but I guess there is an issue.

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Seems a bit too much roll--I know the Litening sticks out from the fuselage more and is a bit bigger than an ATFLIR--so it has more drag, but not as much as I seem to be getting. The smallest bit of RWD trim is too much though, it seems. This obviously happens when manually flying the jet, not on autopilot. It isn't drastically dipping my left wing, but it is enough to be annoying and causing me to depend more on the autopilot to flying straight and level.

I am more than happy to be told I am screwing something up if I am or at least expecting a rock solid, stable straight flying aircraft when I shouldn't be.

Thanks in advance!

At what speed?

Well--and I do not mean to be condescending--my basic understanding of physics. The Litening has much more of a diameter than a -120. Also, the attachment arm the pod has is pretty big (it makes it stick out more than any type of FLIR); part of the diameter of the -120 is "hidden" (for lack of a better phrase) by the fuselage hip or cheek station. -7s or -120s are almost flush to the fuselage compared to FLIR/ATFLIR/Litening/LDT/SCAM pods.

This roll behavior--I think--must be a mismodeling issue as I have noticed that a TACTS pod and -9X (or whatever version of -9 is on there) aren't balanced either on the wingtip stations. The approximate same amount of roll is noticeable when you fly the free flight mission in the Persian Gulf map.

I would assume the FCS would account for this in the sim, but I guess there is an issue.

I haven't run either through a CFD modeler but logic dictates that an asymmetric load on the aircraft will cause a roll in that direction.

I haven't run either through a CFD modeler but logic dictates that an asymmetric load on the aircraft will cause a roll in that direction.

Maybe some, but how much I guess is the real question at hand for me. Maybe I am wrong...

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

I'd have thought roll would be caused by asymmetric load, and asymmetric drag would result in yaw.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Brun, you are correct, which is the other thing.

SirJ, I agree exactly--trim increments are too much to be useful from what I have experienced.

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

• 3 weeks later...

After talking to a Hornet pilot (not gonna get into what I "do"--use your imagination), it is confirmed this is modeled wrong.

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip