How to run multiple Arduinos in DCS BIOS

Violett

Hello Forum,

I have build succesfully my first panels for the A10C panels , such as the VHF AM/FM panels and the CMSP Panel. I am planing to built a whole cockpit by using Arduino Mega-Boards and I am using DCS-Bios . At this point I need to figure out how to connect all the Arduinos in DCS BIOS.

I have connected two Arduinos Mega via I2C but I haven’t done it yet in DCS Bios.

In the DCS BIOS library are RS-485 example-sketches for the master and the slave device. In the comments for the master device -I have found something that puzzles me- it says: “You can connect up to three half-duplex RS-485 transceivers.“ As far as I know it should be possible to conenct up to 216 Arduinos in DCS Bios. So my question is : How can I run more than three Arduinos if not with the RS485 –Drivers?

I believe the three refers to how many master lines you can make from a Mega. I am pretty sure that Ian started somewhere that he wasn't sure the Mega Master could handle all three lines. I am only running one line from the Mega Master but on that line I have around 23 slaves connected. Not home at the moment so can't check exact number.

Cheers

Hans

MAX487 was recommended by Ian, father of DCS-BIOS. More in depth explanation can be found here https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3277947&postcount=11

And here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2967464&postcount=550

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo

Yes I am using this way of communication in my pit (mega as master and nanos)... But I am using ICB from Tekkx where you simply insert two nanos and connect to master or another ICB by normal network cable. Take look here... Easy plug and play solution....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

So this way you can run multiple Nanos off one Mega and therefore one USB?

And all that runs between them are is a 4 core cable?

That is correct Mr Burns. To the best of my knowledge then several people are running Tekkx's system as also described by Draken152 which looks like a very nice solution.

Cheers

Hans

• 3 weeks later...
Yes I am using this way of communication in my pit (mega as master and nanos)... But I am using ICB from Tekkx where you simply insert two nanos and connect to master or another ICB by normal network cable. Take look here... Easy plug and play solution....

Sorry guys, can somebody point me in the right direction for Tekkx's method. I have searched the forums, and some of his stuff on matrixs is going to be a great help, but not finding anything about connecting multiple Arduinos together.

Sorry guys, can somebody point me in the right direction for Tekkx's method. I have searched the forums, and some of his stuff on matrixs is going to be a great help, but not finding anything about connecting multiple Arduinos together.

It is not a method. Tekkx made kind a communication PCB where you insert one or two NANOs and then you can simply connect more of them with master PCB based on MEGA... Method is still RS485 communication using MAX487 chip...As I wrote it is plug and play solution... You can contact him and buy some...

If you want to do everything by your self there are few threads in this section of forum about RS485...like this one

Edited by draken152

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

It is not a method. Tekkx made kind a communication PCB where you insert one or two NANOs and then you can simply connect more of them with master PCB based on MEGA... Method is still RS485 communication using MAX487 chip...As I wrote it is plug and play solution... You can contact him and buy some...

If you want to do everything by your self there are few threads in this section of forum about RS485...like this one

Ahh great thanks.

Looking at doing master slave myself but at the moment 2 megas all I need so just running them both serial.

• 6 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection but does anyone know if the jumper leads from the Mega can be bought as a single pin I can connect my own wire to? All I can find are M/M or M/F or F/F sets, I know I can just cut the end off as I only need male on one end, but was interested if you can make your own?

Thanks