Low framerate on HUD - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
Eldur

This is one the things many DCS modules got wrong... I'm glad the Tomcat has it right

I mean, just watch this Shark footage and compare to DCS

Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
OnlyforDCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
This is one the things many DCS modules got wrong... I'm glad the Tomcat has it right

I mean, just watch this Shark footage and compare to DCS

You can't really do that. At how many frames per second does the blackshark's HUD update? At how many frames per second was that filmed? There are sure to be frames dropped here and there in the footage even if it was filmed at a higher FPS than the hud updates (which I bet it wasn't).

No, the only way you can get these things right is to actually have the official document where it states the HUD refresh rate, and then replicate that. You can't rely on footage as its not consistent or accurate. In any case Heatblur have stated that this is what they have done and that it's replicated correctly.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
You can't really do that. At how many frames per second does the blackshark's HUD update? At how many frames per second was that filmed? There are sure to be frames dropped here and there in the footage even if it was filmed at a higher FPS than the hud updates (which I bet it wasn't).

No, the only way you can get these things right is to actually have the official document where it states the HUD refresh rate, and then replicate that. You can't rely on footage as its not consistent or accurate. In any case Heatblur have stated that this is what they have done and that it's replicated correctly.
The frame rate of the video is clearly faster than the update rate of that Ka-50 HUD. And the update rate of the HUD stays consistent throughout the whole video while the motion in the background is fluid and smooth. If the motion of the background was equally jerky I'd agree with you but its not. I've just put the video into my NLE software and it looks like the HUD updates every 200ms and the video is playing back at 60fps so you get around 12 frames per HUD state... even if this was shot at 30fps originally you're still looking at 6 frames per HUD state.. this is more than enough resolution to tell whether its "dropped frames" or an actually slow refreshing HUD.. IMHO anyway. But what do I know, I've only been working with video for 20 years

My Screenshots = FLICKR ALBUM
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote