WarHog's Cockpit Takes Shape

Warhog

Its getting closer to being finished. :D

Still a few gauges/instruments to calibrate and install. The consoles and the MIP are all on casters so I can easily roll them out to work on them as required.

The PC is located directly behind the MIP. I have a 12 port industrial based USB HUB mounted on the side of the PC to handle all of the extra devices I use. Most of the pit runs on DCS-BIOS (RS-485) however the MFCD's and part of the left console is using a BBI-64 from Leo Bodnar. I wanted to be able to reprogram the OSB's for other air frames and using the Bodnar HID made that easy to do.

There's still a fair bit of work to do but I thought I might present what I have built to date.

45122291211_fd7e8f1687_h.jpgIMG_1065 by John Wall, on Flickr

The display is a 65" 4k Sony which is set back around 36" from where I sit. When finished, the entire cockpit will be surrounded by black curtains to eliminate all visual distractions.

45122288851_62b5e32c0e_h.jpgIMG_1067 by John Wall, on Flickr

I also splurged and purchased the Slaw Device RX Viper pedals. The pedals I originally built did not perform as I wanted and I was getting a bit frustrated with the idea of rebuilding them. I am so glad I purchased the RX Viper pedals. They are amazing in terms of build quality and performance. The price, however, was a bit of a stumbling block. But when I look at how long they will last compared to these lesser quality commercial offerings found in computer stores, it will indeed pay for itself in the long run. No regrets here.

44210664005_9011183d4d_h.jpgIMG_1068 by John Wall, on Flickr

44210659835_2e4f9cc4b2_h.jpgIMG_1069 by John Wall, on Flickr

Please ignore the dust and sawdust on the consoles. They both need a good cleaning. I also need to paint the unfinished wood and I'll be adding that black fabric to the insides of the consoles. Notice that I included the Buttkicker amp/controller into the left console. I had the room so why not. It just makes things easier.

44210655845_4158f45064_h.jpgIMG_1070 by John Wall, on Flickr

44210651405_9d4ff011db_h.jpgIMG_1071 by John Wall, on Flickr

I did break from creating a "replica" cockpit as I added some additional panels to help eliminate the need for a keyboard. I still have one available but its no longer required when I actually start to fly a mission.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

That is simply fabulous, great job

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

@Goblin... I never bothered with a build thread. However, everything I've built has been photographed in various stages of completion and can be found in my signature.

@Trubshaw... AutoCAD to design. CamBam to develop G-code. A decent CNC machine to cut virtually every part of the cockpit. Besides learning AutoCAD and CamBam, learning electronics and programming is an absolute must. It may sound daunting but this has been a 4 year build up to this date mostly because of what you need to learn.

@romeokilo... At the moment I haven't given much thought to the seat and associated controls. I may actually opt for the most comfortable seat I can find and modify it to suit the cockpit rather than go 99% authentic.

@BuzzU... Say what! :huh:... You mean there are other planes to fly... :doh: Guess I'll have to build another cockpit... or two. :bounce:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Absolutely incredible, John! Kudos to you and your work! I'm glad to see you got the MIP off the bench, and now I regret seeing it a couple months early. :D (But definitely do not regret seeing it! ;) ) It'd be a blast flying it now! I'm still working on mine, but thanks to your tutelage and inspiration, getting it done smarter! So thank you! You are truly the master!

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

• 2 weeks later...