Shiraz "Off Map" in latest OB version?

Emmy

Checking out the improved PG map and ran into an odd thing...

I was in single player noodling along at about 116nm S of Shiraz when my CDU put up: "DTSAS OFF MAP" and "OFF MAP" was flashing in my HUD.

Arriving over Shiraz, GBU-38s did not hit their marked targets and GBU-12s did not track the laser at all. Additionally, the TGP would not slave to Mark Points and would put up a NOT SOI warning.

Near as I could determine, grid 39 R YL 256999 63630 was the "tipping point" for this error on a line running N/S from Shiraz.

For some reason, no track file was created.

I'll try this again in the near future taking off from Lar and see if I get the same error at around 115nm-ish from Shiraz.

If anyone else could test this, I'd appreciate it.

Latest version of OB.

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Ran into this same anomaly again tonight.

At 91.1nm SSE of Shiraz, I got the same DTSAS OFF MAP message on my CDU repeater and OFF MAP flashing in my HUD.

Track File Too Large To Attach. :(

OB .. Latest Version

PG Map

All flown in real time from Al Dahfrah to Shiraz more or less direct.

This is what the CDU Displays:

p3378388561.png

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

Strange. Well I got it to occur, but not the same way you did.

I started at Kish and flew up to Shiraz, using time acceleration cause ain't nobody got the time for that. Never saw that message at all and weapons deployed as expected. So I moved my starting location to Al Dhafra and it was flashing immediately at mission start. My JDAMs launched around the base all missed but the GBU-12s hit. Flew north and about halfway across the Gulf the message went away.

Started playing around with it and as far as I can tell it has to do with the location of your waypoints. It might be averaging the positions of the waypoints to get a central location for the DTSAS map data. Even got it to occur on Caucuses. Start at Vaziani, have a single waypoint over Sochi and the error will occur while at Vaziani. However if you added another waypoint at Senaki or moved the first waypoint to Gudauta the error will go away. It appears the cutoff is 450km from where-ever the centerpoint is defined as.

Is it safe to say you have a bunch of waypoints assigned on the southern part of the map?

I'm not much of an avionics guy so I don't know if this is behavior is accurate. I'd assume with the real plane they'd decide which data gets loaded rather than just averaging things out of what is in the flight plan.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Grimes, thanks for looking into this...

I tried it four times:

1) Depart Al Dahfra and didn't add Shiraz as a waypoint until I was feet dry on the Iranian side of the Gulf.

2) Depart Al Dahfra with Shiraz as my destination right from the start.

3/4) Depart Al Dahfra with four waypoints en route. First time I did it with acceleration and the second time I did it in real time (because I had time for that... :) )

So in theory, you could build two flight plans and switch from one to the other at around half way and you'd have all the Nav Data for the Shiraz area when you get there(?)

Again, Thank You!

Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

Ultimately I think it might be something like this.

The averaged position between WP1 and WP2 was the center point of where the stored digital map starts at. Which has a 450km radius drawn from the center of that point. The location of the ship on the map is roughly 450km away from that center point along my flight path directly west. Which is approximately where the error went away.

On the second screenshot I added two additional waypoints forming a box. Which shifted the centerpoint of the flight plan east about 100km. I moved the ship to where I thought the error would go away at and sure enough it did.

Only looks to be impacted by the actual waypoints and not IP or anything else like that.

As for mark point behavior outside of that area, again that is what I'm not sure about due to my lack of knowledge on the avionics.

doing_math_DTSAS.thumb.jpg.2d095b758b0582bca1d93d808f5f2ee9.jpg

Screen_190418_192225.thumb.jpg.72d492da585ed6e05261f1d0f1d3554c.jpg

I have to assume that anything outside that 450km circle just “doesn’t exist” to the A-10’s “brain” so it would make sense if your sensors can’t anchor on anything. You have no grid nor elevation data, so, yeah...

Learned something new here. Deep Strike missions can only go so deep. Duly Noted...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

I think you can still do deep strike missions you just gotta be aware that the average position of the waypoints plays a factor in what is loaded. Its a 450 km radius, so if your average waypoint position is in the middle of Iran it'd cover the majority of that territory.

Gonna ask about this anyways. I have a gut feeling that since the manual says 150km and the real in game number is 450km, that the in game one was upped for a mix of gameplay reasons and that the defined area is abstracted behind the positioning of the waypoints. Personally it'd be nice to know or edit that area. Kinda nice that after 8 years I'm still learning new stuff about the A-10C.

Final experimentation yielded:

1) Two flight plans that split the distance does not make a difference.

2) Setting your first waypoint deep into the flight does not make a difference either (eg Depart Al Dahfra with the first waypoint in the flight plan at Kish)

Both scenarios yacked up the OFF MAP at roughly the same spot as my previous four attempts.

Over on our Discord, Noodle pointed out that there is a LUA tweak available for download that pushes the boundary out to 296.976nm (550km)

Given the size of the PG Map, perhaps this is something the Map Team might consider making the new "norm?"

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301834/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

Can you post a screenshot of your flight plan?

And what do you mean having two flight plans that split the distance?

At least from what I can tell it is literally adding up each waypoint you have setup in the editor and then averaging them out.

The flight plans I’ve tried on the stock PG Map* have never had more than just two waypoints.

I tried:

Al Dahfra (Initial Position) -> Shiraz .. Failed

Al Dahfra -> Kish / Kish -> Shiraz (two stored flight plans) .. Failed

Kish -> Shiraz (Departed from Al Dahfra but not following a flight plan until Kish) .. Failed

(*On our 476th base PG map (with 30-40 additional nav points already in our CDU data base) I tried a flight which more or less cut the Al Dahfra to Kish distance in half and then it cut Kish to Shiraz into about two equal legs (so four separate legs) but this also yielded the OFF MAP message at the same general area as fly Al D -> Shiraz direct)

But if the max distance available is 240nm total between origin and destination, then now I get why they’re all failing.

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

I really think it just comes down to not being able to access data for any point beyond 450km from where an A-10C spawns. I’m not seeing how the route or “weight” of the bulk of your waypoints makes a difference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

I really think it just comes down to not being able to access data for any point beyond 450km from where an A-10C spawns. I’m not seeing how the route or “weight” of the bulk of your waypoints makes a difference.

That is strange if the polar opposite is happening for me. Start location at Al Dhafra with next waypoint at Shiraz.

First screenshot over the base with the error. Happens no matter if it is air, runway, ramp hot, or ramp cold start.

Error goes away in 2nd screenshot.

My location once error goes away.

Screen_190419_170542.thumb.jpg.5207069835c8029c26d847052a59381e.jpg

Screen_190419_170612.thumb.jpg.fc5f11e3d3facd9e66588c92de26aa3a.jpg

Screen_190419_170628.thumb.jpg.70082216987f1cef77b133612c5cd4d4.jpg

I spawn at Al Dahfra and can get to within roughly 90nm of Shiraz when I get the error.

Coming up about 90nm short makes sense as it’s roughly 334nm from AD to Shiraz.

I have no other answer.

I’ve never gotten the error on the south side of the Gulf.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com