Your favorite Fighter Pilot books?

Charly_Owl

Hello everyone,

I'm an avid reader and I thought I'd start reading some books about modern-era fighter pilots. I've read V.M. Yeates' "Wings of Victory" (WW1), Pierre Clostermann's "The Big Show" (WW2) and I've just bought Robert Mason's "Chickenhawk".

I haven't read much about modern-era jet pilots and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good read. It can be about any period (Vietnam, Gulf War, Iraq War, Afghanistan, etc.) and any aircraft: I'm just very curious to read about what it feels to fly those machines, what the pilot thinks, how he feels, what kind of training he has, all that good stuff. I'm very open-minded and curious.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I highly recommend the book "SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story" while not exactly a fighter... The level of detail into >how< the SR was operated is really a good read.

http://www.habu.org/graham/sr71revealed.html

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

In addition to the a.m. and especially in connection to "Chickhawk" I would highly recomment Ed Rasimus "When Thunder Rolled" (if you have just finished Chickenhawk, you already got used to the places of the area ;) ) about his first tour in Vietnam and his second book following the story of his second tour "Palace Cobra". He has a great style, not only writing, but also the way to reflect his experience. (Both are currently my favs, Rosenkranz "Vipers in the Storm" is also high on the ladder)

These are rather presonal storys, compared to Smallwoods "Warthog" and "Eagles", which are more a collection of annecdotes of interviewed pilots. Both books are also great, but I prefered the personal view of things - similar to Clostermanns "The Big Show" or "Thunderbolt!" by R.S. Johnson.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

For me, it's more a JTAC book, but Fire Strike 7/9 by Paul Grahame & Damien Lewis is really good, even if there's some credibility loss.

I'm lokking foward to grab those titles above :p

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Not a fighter pilot book, but Skunk Works is one of my favorite.

+1 for this. It's a fantastic book.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

The Mammoth Book of Fighter Pilots

Edited by Jon E. Lewis 2002

Has a bit of everything from WW1 through to the Gulf told as individual pilot accounts.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

Warthog by William Smallwood I found fascinating to read.

Also check out one of his other books, "Strike Eagle, Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War". It's full of combat descriptions like the A-10 book, and does a fascinating job telling the story of the pilots themselves and what it was like to fly in Iraq.

--NoJoe

Try Mustang ace by Robert Goebel, I really enjoyed that book, its a relatively short book as well if you want a quick read, gives a good insight from a fighter pilots point of view of flying and fighting in the P-51 mustang. I'm reading US Navy F-14 Tomcat units of operation Iraqi freedom, and shall post if I think its worth reading when I'm done...

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

My fave book of all time - Sea harrier over the Falklands by Sharkey Ward, amazing book but maybe slightly biased but who cares it's a frightfully splendid read. Just read A-10s over Kosovo which is also good and am about ot read Warthog. And I've just read Joint Force Harrier as well which is ok

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yes have read the Sharkey Ward book and agree was a very good read +1 would definitely recommend that. I also read a book which took you through the Battle of Britain but instead of one author it was filled with short accounts from pilots involved in the battle on both sides, but mostly allied. It was done in such a way with the entries that it explained brilliantly the path the Battle of Britain took, unfortunately I lent the book to somebody and never got it back and I cant remember what it was called....

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 3 weeks later...
Any suggestions for a P-51 Mustang book?

I found a couple of them on amazon (including some about the Tuskegee Airmen), but I can't seem to find the "right one".

There is one on Scribd.com for sale@10 bucks. It's called "I was a P-51 pilot in WWII". :thumbup:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Bravo 2 zero's not a fighter pilot book! Tornado Down is though which is also a frightfully good book as is they're other book Team Tornado which is about the lives of front line squadron pilots

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Bravo 2 0 is an amazing book though

Any suggestions for a P-51 Mustang book?

I just got done reading "Dumb but lucky" by Richard Curtis, which was good, but sometimes a bit repetitive (the author couldn´t stop telling the reader that he thought he survived through sheer luck).

Not P-51 per se, but a true WW2 story and a MUST read: A Higher Call. The first book in my life that actually made me cry.

Of the books I have read within the last few months (I read A LOT, usually several books a week), these are the ones I can recommend (in no particular order, and some may already have been mentioned):

So yeah, that list should keep you busy for a while. When you´re done with it let me know, I also have a couple hundred classics everyone interested in aviation should have read, plus a whole bunch of books written in German in case you understand it (mostly WW2 memoirs by pilots, grunts and tankers).

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

Thank you all: especially you, Cookie. I just love to read and I've been buying a pretty decent collection of books during the last month. I based my choices on historical accuracy, interest and writing style. Each book was carefully handpicked by me after reading numerous reviews of each individual book.

@ Cookie: Sorry, I don't speak German... Well, just enough to order a beer or get me in trouble :) , but not enough to read a book. I can read English, French and Spanish though.

If any of you is interested in seeing the complete list, here it is. Call me crazy for having spent a great deal of money, but I cherish these first-hand accounts as little gems trapped in time that deserve to be read and remembered. The survival of these accounts is something I value a lot.

(Please Note that the list is in no particular order)

Aviation - General

• The Aviator’s Guide to Navigation (Donald J. Clausing)
  • Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering (Robert L. Shaw)
  • Howard Hughes: His Life and Madness (Donald L. Bartlett & James B. Steele)
  • Empire of the Clouds: When Britain’s Aircraft Ruled the World (James Hamilton-Paterson)
  • How the Helicopter Changed Modern Warfare (Walter J. Boyne)
  • Skygods: The Fall of Pan Am (Robert Gandt)
  • The Right Stuff (Tom Wolfe)
  • Flight: The Complete History (R. G. Grant)
  • Boeing: The Complete Story (Alain Pelletier)

Aviation – WW1

• Winged Victory (V.M. Yeates)

Aviation – WW2

• Flying Tigers (Daniel Ford)
  • Forever Flying (Bob Hoover)
  • A Question of Honor: The Kosciuszko Squadron (Stanley Cloud & Lynne Olson)
  • Yeager: The Autobiography (Chuck Yeager & Leo Janos)
  • The Blond Knight of Germany: A Biography of Erich Hartmann (Raymond F. Toliver & Trevor J. Constable)
  • The Big Show (Pierre Clostermann)
  • Fighter Pilot (Robin Olds)
  • Masters of the Air (Donald L. Miller)
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again (James H. “Jimmy” Doolittle)
  • L’épopée du Normandie-Niémen (Roland de la Poype)
  • Normandie-Niémen : Un Temps pour la Guerre (Yves Courrière)
  • A Higher Call : An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II (Adam Makos & Larry Alexander)
  • Samurai! (Saburo Sakai)
  • Red Star Against the Swastika: The Story of a Soviet Pilot over the Eastern Front (Vasily Emelianenko)
  • An Ace of the Eighth (Norman Fortier)
  • The Twilight Warriors (Robert Gandt)
  • Thunderbolt! (Robert Johnson)
  • Fighters over Stalingrad Volume 1: Air Operations of the Soviet Union VVS and Luftwaffe (Nikita Egorov)
  • Red Phoenix Rising: The Soviet Air Force in World War II (Von Hardesty)
  • The German Aces Speak: World War II Through the Eyes of Four of the Luftwaffe’s Most Important Commanders (Colin D. Heaton)
  • The Star of Africa: The Story of Hans Marseille, the Rogue Luftwaffe Ace who Dominated the WWII Skies (Colin D. Heaton)
  • The Most Dangerous Enemy (Stephen Bungay)
  • Fire In The Sky: The Air War In the South Pacific (Eric Bergerud)
  • First Light (Geoffrey Wellum)
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (Peter Mersky)

Aviation – Korean War to Yom Kippur War

• Loud and Clear: The Memoir of an Israeli Fighter Pilot (Iftach Spector)
  • The Hunters: A Novel (James Salter)

Aviation – Vietnam War & Cold War

• John McCain: Faith of my Fathers (John McCain & Mark Salter)
  • To the Limit: An Air Cav Huey Pilot in Vietnam (Tom A. Johnson)
  • Chickenhawk (Robert Mason)
  • When Thunder Rolled: A F-105 Pilot over North Vietnam (Ed Rasimus)
  • Palace Cobra: A Fighter Pilot in the Vietnam Air War (Ed Rasimus)
  • 100 Missions North (Ken Bell)
  • The Ravens: Pilots of the Secret War in Laos (Christopher Robbins)
  • Thud Ridge (Jack Broughton)
  • Flying the SR-71 Blackbird (Col. Richard H. Graham)
  • Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed (Ben Rich)

Aviation – Post-Vietnam

• Wired for War: The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21st Century (P.W. Singer)
  • Apache (Ed Macy)
  • Vipers in the Storm (Keith Rosenkranz)
  • Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War (William Smallwood)
  • Strike Eagle: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War (William Smallwood)
  • Viper Pilot (Dan Hampton)
  • Storm Front (Rowland White)
  • A Nightmare’s Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot’s War in Afghanistan (Michael Franzak)
  • The Night Stalkers (Michael J. Durant & Steven Hartov)
  • Feet Wet: Reflections of a Carrier Pilot (Paul Gillcrist)
  • The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey (Richard Whittle)
  • Vulcan 607: The Epic Story of the Most Remarkable British Air Attack Since WWII (Rowland White)
  • A-10s Over Kosovo (Phil Haun)
  • Sea Harrier Over the Falklands (Sharkey Ward)

Infantry – All periods

• Dispatches (Michael Herr)
  • About Face (Col. David Hackworth)
  • Outlaw Platoon (Sean Parnell)
  • Sniper One (Sgt. Dan Mills)
  • Steel my Soldiers’ Hearts: The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam (Col. David H. Hackworth)
  • A Rumor of War (Philip Caputo)
  • We Were Soldiers Once… and Young: Ia Drang – The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam (Harold G. Moore & Joseph L. Galloway)
  • Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda (Sean Naylor)
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds (Rusty Bradley)
  • Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 (Marcus Luttrell)
  • Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander’s Account of the Hunt for the World’s Most Wanted Man (Dalton Fury)
  • No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission that killed Osama Bin Laden (Mark Owen)
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan (Malcolm MacPherson)
  • Pathfinder (David Blakeley)
  • The Yompers: With 45 Commando in the Falklands War (Ian Gardiner)

Armored Warfare – All periods

• The Heights of Courage: A Tank Leader’s War on the Golan (Avigdor Kahalani)
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad (David Zucchino)

Naval Warfare – WW2

• The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy and King – The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea (Walter R. Borneman)

Intelligence Warfare – WW2

• Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker’s War, 1941-1945 (Leo Marks)

Edited by Charly_Owl