Helios 1.4 - Taking to the Skys Once Again

That's very kind of you to offer to test it for me. Much appreciated. Link to my profile is in my last post. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

I did it partly for kindness, but mostly to do some testing with some seriously old stuff :)

Anyway, I ran it on 1.4.2019.1005 and it worked fine

I enjoy having some old test cases in my test library now. Also, the Export script is wild. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a Ka-50 mock up in my test scripts, so I can't really bang on it that hard yet.

Edited by derammo
thought the PVI-800 was not working, but it is an exported view so it does not apply

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I want to thank you guys for all the work and time you spend on creating Helios, the profiles and the tutorials.

I have a problem with viewports showing up in Helios and it would be great if you could help. :)

I installed the latest Helios version together with Capt Zeens F-18 profile and followed his tutorial video. I'm running a 3 monitor setup with the DCS being on monitor one and the Helios profile on monitor 3 (touchscreen). After following the tutorial and the tips for 3 monitor setup the profile is runing fine, all switches & gauges work. However none of the viewports are showing up (MFDs, EFIS, RWR etc). When starting DCS without the profile all viewports are shown (and seem to be in the right places). So i'm pretty sure that the monitor.lua and export.lua are fine. I'm running the latest DCS beta.

What am I missing? Is there a "toogle transparent" option or something for the MFDs in Helios that I messed up?

The only thing I didn't according to the tutorial was turning aero off as I didn't find that option in DCS anymore (I think it was removed in 2019?).

Hey foid,

Yes, there is a transparency option in Helios that you might need to watch out for. Open your profile in the Profile Editor.

In the profile explorer, double-click on the Monitor that contains your cockpit artwork (in my case, Monitor 3). On the right side you should see the properties window appear for that monitor.

What you want to look for is the Section that says "Background." Below that should be a box called "Fill" that you can check/uncheck. Make sure this box is unchecked. This will ensure your Helios panel is transparent when you launch it via the control center.

My guess is that it's set to fill right now and is simply covering up all your exports. To be on the safe side, you can also look at the "DASHBOARD panel" as well and make sure it's Fill status is also unchecked.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you can't find it for any reason.

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

Hi Everyone,

I just grabbed two more monitors to setup more of my home cockpit and started by installing the latest and greatest Helios / Capt Zeen mods for the FA-18C. I watched his setup video's on YouTube,followed all the steps, and they helped greatly. I have managed to get the three CRT monitor displays in their correct position along with the UFC. I am having great trouble to get the IEFI to properly display in the Capt Zeen display so I can see all of the numbers as it appears in DCS window. I understand that setting the start reference point in Paint is not the same as the DDI's are. This one needs to be offset to the left quite a bit. I am using an ACER H233H monitor for my Helios display and getting the IEFI to sit perfectly seems way harder than it should be. I can get the Engine parameters to show correctly, but than the Fuel numbers are not in perfect view. I have been playing with the display size in 2_monitors_FA18C.lua, using Notepad ++ and can't seem to get it correct. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I would like to get flying my beloved FA-18C and start enjoying my multiple monitor setup sooner rather then later. Thank you in advance for the help. I can post screen shots if required. I am also having a problem getting the OVGME program setup, but that can be a later discussion. I watched a video from the Grim Reapers and my folders look different from his. That can be discussed after this gets displaying correctly.

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Hi Everyone,

I just grabbed two more monitors to setup more of my home cockpit and started by installing the latest and greatest Helios / Capt Zeen mods for the FA-18C. I watched his setup video's on YouTube,followed all the steps, and they helped greatly. I have managed to get the three CRT monitor displays in their correct position along with the UFC. I am having great trouble to get the IEFI to properly display in the Capt Zeen display so I can see all of the numbers as it appears in DCS window. I understand that setting the start reference point in Paint is not the same as the DDI's are. This one needs to be offset to the left quite a bit. I am using an ACER H233H monitor for my Helios display and getting the IEFI to sit perfectly seems way harder than it should be. I can get the Engine parameters to show correctly, but than the Fuel numbers are not in perfect view. I have been playing with the display size in 2_monitors_FA18C.lua, using Notepad ++ and can't seem to get it correct. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I would like to get flying my beloved FA-18C and start enjoying my multiple monitor setup sooner rather then later. Thank you in advance for the help. I can post screen shots if required. I am also having a problem getting the OVGME program setup, but that can be a later discussion. I watched a video from the Grim Reapers and my folders look different from his. That can be discussed after this gets displaying correctly.

Me too, I just upgraded to the latest 1.4 and the guess work is not producing a good image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey foid,

Yes, there is a transparency option in Helios that you might need to watch out for. Open your profile in the Profile Editor.

In the profile explorer, double-click on the Monitor that contains your cockpit artwork (in my case, Monitor 3). On the right side you should see the properties window appear for that monitor.

What you want to look for is the Section that says "Background." Below that should be a box called "Fill" that you can check/uncheck. Make sure this box is unchecked. This will ensure your Helios panel is transparent when you launch it via the control center.

My guess is that it's set to fill right now and is simply covering up all your exports. To be on the safe side, you can also look at the "DASHBOARD panel" as well and make sure it's Fill status is also unchecked.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you can't find it for any reason.

Thank you! This solved it. :thumbup:

Glad you're up and running now foid!

@hrnet940

@Fusedspine33

I wish I could say there was a one-size-fits-all solution, but in my experience, it really just come down to continual trial-and-error until it works. The trick for me was to slightly change the width of the panel itself. I think the default value from CZ was around 596 or so and I decreased it to 526. Perhaps tweaking the width in addition to the X,Y coordinates will do the trick for you!

For reference, these are the values I'm currently using for my panel:

F18_IFEI =

{

x = 154;

y = 758;

width = 526;

height = 203;

}

NOTE: Adjust the "x" and "y" values accordingly based on how you have that second monitor positioned.

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I played with it and have finally found the correct setting for my monitor. The final few tweaks were 1 or 2 pixels at a time. The ZULU time window isn't perfect, but usable for now. My final IFEI settings are x:2077 y:755 width:519 height:200. What a challenge to get these numbers.

I made these adjustments in the folder below:

C:/Programs/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World Openbeta/Config/Monitor Setup/2_monitors_FA18C

Should this be done somewhere else, as I think this gets overwritten every time there is an update? I have the OVGME program, but not sure how to set it up or check that I have it setup correctly. The Grim Reapers did a YouTube video and I watched and followed it, but no warm fuzzy after I was finished. My folders looked different than his did.

Thanks Again, Wayne

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Hey Wayne,

Glad it worked for you! That one panel is definitely the most challenging across all the aircraft I have exports for so congrats...it's all downhill from here, hahaha!

Regarding your profile .lua file, I keep mine in C:\Users\xxxxx\Saved Games\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup.

I have the OVgME program installed, but like you, I was never sure how exactly to set it up so I've just continued to run without it. I haven't had any problems with anything being overwritten through numerous DCS updates. That said, I keep all the files I've edited backed up just in case and I'd recommend the same for you.

Glad to hear it worked for both of you!

Fusedspine33, if you're referring to the blurriness of the MFDs, you can try the following:

In your DCSWorld folder, navigate to "\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator" and open the "MDG_strokesDefs.lua" file.

In that file, I edited the values to read:

--stroke_thickness = 0.8 (Original)

stroke_thickness = 0.6

--stroke_fuzziness = 0.5 (Original)

stroke_fuzziness = 0.3

I just commented out the original values so I would have them there as reference. Hope that helps.

If not, feel free to share your exact issue and hopefully we can get you squared away!

Hi guys. Having problems with making the Harrier's ODU and UFC display the text values.

I have followed all the possible instructions to get the right Export.lua and also checked that it contains line to parse ODU and UFC text values, but the text is not comming to my profile composed from the AV8 ODU and UFC controls. All the other buttons work flawlessly, but the text.

I have also tried placing the text controls and binding it it Display text changed for ODU with no luck. I would happily exchange few messages and provide any possible lua script I have including my Helios profile.

Displaying ODU values and controlling the UFC from second monitor was the main reason to get Helios up and running, but now I feel desperate.

As I am C# developer in real life, I have also decided to fork and download Helios code to see if I can run it and maybe debug it, but haven't had enough time yet.

Is there a way how to force Export.lua or other scripts to write into any debug file to see if the ODU files are comming from DCS?

Hi guys. Having problems with making the Harrier's ODU and UFC display the text values.

I have followed all the possible instructions to get the right Export.lua and also checked that it contains line to parse ODU and UFC text values, but the text is not comming to my profile composed from the AV8 ODU and UFC controls. All the other buttons work flawlessly, but the text.

I have also tried placing the text controls and binding it it Display text changed for ODU with no luck. I would happily exchange few messages and provide any possible lua script I have including my Helios profile.

Displaying ODU values and controlling the UFC from second monitor was the main reason to get Helios up and running, but now I feel desperate.

As I am C# developer in real life, I have also decided to fork and download Helios code to see if I can run it and maybe debug it, but haven't had enough time yet.

Is there a way how to force Export.lua or other scripts to write into any debug file to see if the ODU files are comming from DCS?

Hi There.

I would happily look at this for you. If you want me to do so, file an issue on https://github.com/BlueFinBima/Helios/issues/new and provide a link to your Helios profile and Lua script you are using.

If you would rather figure it out yourself, run Wireshark and capture the loopback adapter. The messages are just text strings sent in UDP on port 9089 or whatever you have configured. You can easily see what is being sent that way.

To see what Helios is doing with the values, run Helios Control Center with "--loglevel=Debug" and read the ControlCenter.log in Documents\Helios.

Also, if you are a C# dev and you want to contribute to Helios, please for the love of all that is in the sky do join us :)

Cheers,

derammo on GitHub

PS: The only branch in your fork that is worth running is "Dev." Master is an abandoned mess :)

Edited by derammo

AV8B UFC / ODU Text

Hi @ShadowDragonCZ,

The text for the AV-8B UFC and ODU does not come via Helios. Viewports need to be created for these devices and the exported screens need to sit beneath the Helios profile. See https://github.com/BlueFinBima/DCS-AV-8B-NA-Profile/blob/master/Config/MonitorSetup/AV-8B%20Config.lua and https://github.com/BlueFinBima/DCS-AV-8B-NA-Profile/tree/master/Mods/Aircraft/AV8BNA/Cockpit .

The advice provided by @Derammo would be appropriate if the ODU and UFC worked like the Hornet, but I have not yet released versions of that code for the AV-8B.

Hope this helps.

BlueFinBima

Latest Helios Virtual Cockpit Team version of Helios can be found on Github

BlueFinBima Helios YouTube

Hi There.

Also, if you are a C# dev and you want to contribute to Helios, please for the love of all that is in the sky do join us :)

Cheers,

derammo on GitHub

PS: The only branch in your fork that is worth running is "Dev." Master is an abandoned mess :)

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at the debug option and might have a look at Wireshark too!

For the source, will abandon the Master and have a look around the codebase. Might join the team, but there is always some learning curve.

Hi @ShadowDragonCZ,

The text for the AV-8B UFC and ODU does not come via Helios. Viewports need to be created for these devices and the exported screens need to sit beneath the Helios profile. See https://github.com/BlueFinBima/DCS-AV-8B-NA-Profile/blob/master/Config/MonitorSetup/AV-8B%20Config.lua and https://github.com/BlueFinBima/DCS-AV-8B-NA-Profile/tree/master/Mods/Aircraft/AV8BNA/Cockpit .

The advice provided by @Derammo would be appropriate if the ODU and UFC worked like the Hornet, but I have not yet released versions of that code for the AV-8B.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, BlueFinBima, was hoping to see your message. Problem is, thatI have used the built in AV8 panel with UFC, without the cut-outs, where texts and letters are supposed to be displayed. I have setup the viewports for ODU and UFC and got it to second monitor, but the AV8 ODU and UFC parts do not display these, cause they do not seem to be transparent.

If that is the case, is there some easy way to introduce ODU and UFC with cut-outs, so that the viewports below can be displayed?

If that is the case, is there some easy way to introduce ODU and UFC with cut-outs, so that the viewports below can be displayed?

You can use paint to edit the image file. The same hole you cut out should provide the coordinates you need for the viewports.

Edited by Fusedspine33

You can use paint to edit the image file. The same hole you cut out should provide the coordinates you need for the viewports.

I swear I was trying to find the image used in the control, but have not. Isn't it embedded in the Helios DLLs? Or is it sitting somewhere on the disk and Helios uses it as *.png ?

Edited by ShadowDragonCZ

I was under the impression you were making a custom interface. There is a library that has the images used to create the front “dash” panel. I had to do something similar with the F-18 IEFI to remove the row of switches under the display frame to allow me to have a reference to move the frame lower on the monitor to assist in placing viewports.

If you are trying to use what Blu has created out of the box then it’s probably better to wait for his answer. His works so there is definitely a much more simple answer than messing around under the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How embarrassing... I did write the code for the Harrier. I completely forgot. But I didn't publish the exports.

This is the ProcessLowImportance function from the exports:

function ProcessLowImportance(mainPanelDevice)
--local ii
--for ii = 1,16,1 do
--	li = parse_indication(ii)
--	if li ~= nil then 
--		Helios.log.write(thisScript,string.format("%s %1.0f ", "Dump ", ii) .. Heliosdump(li))
--	end
--end
li = parse_indication(5)
if li then
	if scriptDebug > 0 then 
		Helios.log.write(thisScript,string.format("UFC Dump " .. Heliosdump(li)))
		Helios.log.write(thisScript,string.format("UFC Comm 1: " .. check(li.ufc_chnl_1_m) .. check(li.ufc_chnl_1_v)))
       end
	SendData("2092", string.format("%2s",check(li.ufc_left_position)))
       SendData("2094", string.format("%7s",check(li.ufc_right_position)))
       SendData("2095", string.format("%2s",check(li.ufc_chnl_1_m) .. check(li.ufc_chnl_1_v)))
	SendData("2096", string.format("%2s",check(li.ufc_chnl_2_m) .. check(li.ufc_chnl_2_v)))
--[ufc_left_position]  string: "ON"
   --[ufc_right_position] = string: "16"
end

local li = parse_indication(6)
if li then
	if scriptDebug > 0 then 
		Helios.log.write(thisScript,string.format("ODU Dump " .. Heliosdump(li)))
		Helios.log.write(thisScript,string.format("ODU 5 Text: " .. check(li.ODU_Option_5_Text)))
	end 
	SendData("2082", string.format("%4s",check(li.ODU_Option_1_Text)))
	SendData("2083", string.format("%4s",check(li.ODU_Option_2_Text)))
	SendData("2084", string.format("%4s",check(li.ODU_Option_3_Text)))
	SendData("2085", string.format("%4s",check(li.ODU_Option_4_Text)))
	SendData("2086", string.format("%4s",check(li.ODU_Option_5_Text)))
	SendData("2087", string.format("%1s",check(li.ODU_Option_1_Slc)):gsub(":","!"))  -- ":" is reserved
	SendData("2088", string.format("%1s",check(li.ODU_Option_2_Slc)):gsub(":","!"))  -- ":" is reserved
	SendData("2089", string.format("%1s",check(li.ODU_Option_3_Slc)):gsub(":","!"))  -- ":" is reserved
	SendData("2090", string.format("%1s",check(li.ODU_Option_4_Slc)):gsub(":","!"))  -- ":" is reserved
	SendData("2091", string.format("%1s",check(li.ODU_Option_5_Slc)):gsub(":","!"))  -- ":" is reserved
	-- -- test command 00000000*2096=20:2095=13:2087=!:2088=!:2089=!:2090=!:2091=!:2082=BLUE:2083=FIN :2084=BIMA:2085=2019:2086=test:2094=123.567:2092=~0:2093=-:326=1:336=1:197=1:365=1:196=1: 
end

local li = parse_indication(7)  --V/UHF Radio and ACNIP
if li then
	if scriptDebug > 0 then 
		Helios.log.write(thisScript,string.format("V/UHF Radio and ACNIP " .. Heliosdump(li)))
       end
	--[uVHF_DISPLAY] = string: ""
	--[uvhf_channel] = string: "01"
	--[uvhf_freq_left] = string: "177.000"
	--[acnip_1_label_mode] = string: "MODE"
	--[acnip_1_mode] = string: "PLN"
	--[acnip_1_label_code] = string: "CODE"
	--[acnip_1_code] = string: "00"
	--[acnip_2_label_mode] = string: "MODE"
	--[acnip_2_mode] = string: "CY"
	--[acnip_2_label_code] = string: "CODE"
	--[acnip_2_code] = string: "03"

SendData("2100", string.format("%2s",check(li.uvhf_channel)))
	SendData("2101", string.format("%7s",check(li.uvhf_freq_left)))
	SendData("2102", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_1_label_mode)))
	SendData("2103", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_1_mode)))
	SendData("2104", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_1_label_code)))
	SendData("2105", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_1_code)))		
	SendData("2106", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_2_label_mode)))
	SendData("2107", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_2_mode)))
	SendData("2108", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_2_label_code)))
	SendData("2109", string.format("%s",check(li.acnip_2_code)))

end

SendData(2001, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(253) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(254) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(255) * 10))     -- Engine Duct
   SendData(2002, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(256) * 10000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(257) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(258) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(259) * 10))     -- Engine RPM
   SendData(2003, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(260) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(261) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(262) * 10))    -- Engine FF
   SendData(2004, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(263) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(264) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(265) * 10)) -- Engine JPT
   SendData(2005, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(267) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(268) * 10)) -- Engine Stab
   SendData(2006, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(269) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(270) * 10)) -- Engine H2O
   SendData(2019, string.format("%.4f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(386) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(387) * 10)) -- SMC Fuze
   SendData(2020, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(392) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(393) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(394) * 10))    -- SMC Interval
   SendData(2022, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(389) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(390) * 10))    -- SMC Quantity
   SendData(2021, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(391) * 10))    -- SMC Mult
   SendData(2010, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(367) * 10000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(368) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(369) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(370) * 10))    -- Fuel Total
   SendData(2011, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(371) * 10000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(372) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(373) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(374) * 10))    -- Fuel Left Tank
   SendData(2012, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(375) * 10000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(376) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(377) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(378) * 10))    -- Fuel Right Tank
   SendData(2013, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(381) * 10000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(382) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(383) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(384) * 10))    -- Fuel Bingo
   SendData(2014, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(455) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(456) * 10))    -- Flap Position
   SendData(2015, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(550) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(551) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(552) * 10))    -- Pressure Brake
   SendData(2016, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(553) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(554) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(555) * 10))    -- Pressure Hyd 1
   SendData(2017, string.format("%.0f",mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(556) * 1000+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(557) * 100+mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value(558) * 10))    -- Pressure Hyd 2
end 

Thanks for the response, BlueFinBima, was hoping to see your message. Problem is, thatI have used the built in AV8 panel with UFC, without the cut-outs, where texts and letters are supposed to be displayed. I have setup the viewports for ODU and UFC and got it to second monitor, but the AV8 ODU and UFC parts do not display these, cause they do not seem to be transparent.

BlueFinBima

Hi, Blu,

Thanks for the updated export.

But looking at the first part, where list is parsed for the ODU values, I still doubt this is going to work, because my export already contained this part and texts were still not exported. I also haven't any luck catching these using Wireshark.

I am at work now, but will try your updated Export.lua once I am back home.

I actually use my own exports scripts (not Helios or from another source) but I'm pretty sure the ODU and UFC codes are correct. Chances are that if nothing is flowing over the socket, then my first guess would be that an error was thrown and the exports stopped.

BlueFinBima