uncontrollable Yaw / Rudder steering !!! Help please

Hi guys, as a fairly new user to DCS I am still slowly learning how to handle the aircraft both fixed and flingwing. I posted this originally in the input and controls section but thought I might get some additional feedback from within the Spitfire section in case I'm missing something obvious!!

I was making slow but steady progress until yesterday when I downloaded the Spitfire and coincidentally since then my aircraft seem to loose control almost immediately. It seems mainly affecting yaw or rudder inputs. For instance when I input left rudder on the Spitfire I cannot turn the opposite way without stopping first and then the same happens in the new direction.

I have checked all the bindings to make sure that nothing is conflicting and it seems ok as does the fine tune in axis settings. it also seems as if all movement suddenly goes into overdrive and speeds up. Really weird. Can anyone give me some input here?

I am just about to carry out a repair on the DCS and also try the Beta version to see if the same thing is occurring. I have the latest DCS standard version and I am using a TM Warthog HOTAS .

Cheers

K

Originally Posted by randomTOTEN View Post

Load the spitfire on the ground with the engine off. Do a flight control check. By looking at the flight controls (or/and the control indicator RCTRL+ENTER) do all surfaces move in the correct direction, smoothly, and to full deflection? Do all other controls remain neutral unless you command an input with your hardware?

DCS has a lovely little habit of assigning the same controls to multiple hardware devices... as if they're all identical joysticks.

One of the first things I normally check is a visual on the flight control surfaces and movement of same in relation to control inputs and from memory I believe they all looked normal but I will definately check them again thanks.

Doesn't address why everything seems to speed up as well though! we are talking a full 360 rotation on Helo in about 1-2 secs!!!

Cheers

OK. So I checked all the control surfaces from the external view and they all work as expected with no cross over interference. But when I start to throttle up I can not stop the Spitfire from going out of control, it either rotates one way or the other despite putting the opposite control / rudder movement in.

Thankfully the Helicopters and the speeding up thing seems to have resolved itself but I cannot seem to be able to get the Spitfire to co-operate.

Any thoughts guys?

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Multiple Inputs

Check to see in your control settings that you don't have more than 1 input for each control surface. (i.e. you don't have rudder controlled by several different inputs at the same time)

ChuckIV

Also, once you have all your control settings perfect, I highly recommend that you back them up in a new folder somewhere on your hard drive.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:

Processor - Intel® Core i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3600MHz water-cooled

Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 & DCS on SSD

Video Card - water-cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Internet: Cable 200Mbps 12Mbps

Check to see in your control settings that you don't have more than 1 input for each control surface. (i.e. you don't have rudder controlled by several different inputs at the same time)

ChuckIV

Also, once you have all your control settings perfect, I highly recommend that you back them up in a new folder somewhere on your hard drive.

Thanks mate:thumbup: but as far as multiple inputs go I had said previously that these had been confirmed as single inputs so no crossovers.

Next suggestion:helpsmilie: keep em coming :)

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

To RandomTOTEN's post, it sounds like normal behavior for a Spitfire being taxied by someone inexperienced. Use the wheel brake in tandem with rudder inputs. And even then you can lose control if the plane starts turning too sharply and fast.

And the Spitfire doesn't have a tailwheel lock like all the other aircraft in DCS (aside for I16), so kicking the rudder left doesn't result in immediate turning. If you're fast taxiing the Spitfire however, the wind speed and prop wash will result in smooth turning with hard rudder kicks. And from a dead stop, throttling up significantly but quickly can help, due to prop wash on the tail.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

To RandomTOTEN's post, it sounds like normal behavior for a Spitfire being taxied by someone inexperienced. Use the wheel brake in tandem with rudder inputs. And even then you can lose control if the plane starts turning too sharply and fast.

And the Spitfire doesn't have a tailwheel lock like all the other aircraft in DCS (aside for I16), so kicking the rudder left doesn't result in immediate turning. If you're fast taxiing the Spitfire however, the wind speed and prop wash will result in smooth turning with hard rudder kicks. And from a dead stop, throttling up significantly but quickly can help, due to prop wash on the tail.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thanks Magic, will continue testing tomorrow :thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU