Engine Managment

oho

Besides throttle one can switch radiator Off (fully open) [A] toggle. I'll do that when oil temp exceeds 80. Don't exceed 85 says manual. Unfortunately to keep oil pressure below 120 I found one needs to keep oil temp near 80 at full throttle. Really whenever one applies any throttle oil pressure gets close to 120 it seems.

Oil pressure should be between 60-120. I could have sworn oil temp was supposed to be 60-80 but reading manual now it says 20-80. Specifically manual says:

Reliable motor acceleration is guaranteed when the coolant temperature is not lower than 60° C and oil temperature is not lower than 20° C.
and I can't find "60" anywhere referring to oil temp.
Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Maximum (War Emergency) Power: +18lb boost @ 3,000 RPM - 5 minute limit

Combat/Climb Power: +12lb boost @ 2,850 RPM - 1 hour limit

Max Continuous Power: +7lb Boost @2650 RPM - no time restriction

These all apply whilst you have enough airspeed to drive sufficient air through the radiators to provide the requisite cooling. As a rule stay above 160mph IAS (180 better).

I never dogfight in WEP. Combat power is sufficient. WEP should only be used when you find yourself needing to disengage from a fight and you are being run down by e/a.

Obeying these parameters I have never been obliged to open radiators manually to enforce cooling, or had a an engine failure due to overheating.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

These all apply whilst you have enough airspeed to drive sufficient air through the radiators to provide the requisite cooling. As a rule stay above 160mph IAS (180 better).

I never dogfight in WEP. Combat power is sufficient. WEP should only be used when you find yourself needing to disengage from a fight and you are being run down by e/a.

Obeying these parameters I have never been obliged to open radiators manually to enforce cooling, or had a an engine failure due to overheating.

All great points except the last one. The Spit can not run away from anything except the I-16, WEP or not...

All great points except the last one. The Spit can not run away from anything except the I-16, WEP or not...

Touche!

However, if ammo is expended and fuel is becoming a critical issue (as it often does in the dear ol' Spitty) there's only so long you can grind holes in the sky dodging your attacker(s). It's at this point when the e/a is at a high angle off I push to +18lb and 3000 RPM, dive if possible and extend as much as I can towards friendly lines, friendly a/c or just away from the hostiles. K-4s and D-9s will run you down sure, but if you break in good time, force an overshoot, it is entirely feasible to wash rinse and and repeat the process..

You can keep it up till they break off through boredom, frustration or the sudden appearance of your buddies, be they in the form of AAA or fighters. Or they follow you all the way home to your airfield in which case you hope their fuel reserves are as critical as yours!

I used to follow the data plaque right side (cruise +7lb Boost @2650 RPM). It's says 9 lb for climb. I notice now that manual states 12lb 1h and doesn't say 9 lb anywhere.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I go by the 1946 pilot notes, a reprint of which I have sat right next to my desk for reference whenever I fly the LF.IX.

That data placard is curious to say the least...

What is max take off power according to 1946 notes ? 18lbs ?

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor