EZ 42 gunsight

Scoll

As i understand, from a set based on Gunsight's gyro power switch "On", Gunsight ballistic adjustment unit Rotary "I" and Target wingspan knob and wait for 1.5 minute, adjusting twist grip for range selection should predict where the bullet will arrive.

Doing so, flying on level, i'm surprised when arrived at last step, twisting grip for range don't make the reticle circle moving up or down depending of the target distance. So, under 700m all bullets goes above target, and beyond 700m under target. Different behavior on moves as cross goes up or down depending on target distance (using throttle grip).

So, is it right to say that deviation depending on target distance is only "calculated" by EZ 42 on moves (up or down, left or right, etc) and not "calculated" by EZ 42 flying straight ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'flying Straight" will still result in in Gyro calculation based on Set target range so in this case Gravity drop and a fixed value of trajectory shift based on speed/Altitude i.e TAS component also input to the sight via the thumb wheel controls in a separate box.

EZ42-altitude-box-01-sml.jpg.a38823a2cc3102bb6b84793a4f36860a.jpg

'flying Straight" will still result in in Gyro calculation based on Set target range so in this case Gravity drop and a fixed value of trajectory shift based on speed/Altitude i.e TAS component also input to the sight via the thumb wheel controls in a separate box.

I cannot find any mention of a TAS adjustment. There is an adjustment for altitude though ( Altitude Aiming Correction). Unfortunately, the values indicated in that box on the right are are not legible and the thumbwheel rotates with lightning speed. So this adjustment is essentially useless.

@ED: You should give us a legible table of altitude settings, and you should unblur the box in the cockpit. And you should reduce the gain of this adjustment.

Edit: found the table in the texture file "fw190cpt_part06.dds". And yes, of course there is a path from altitude and IAS to TAS.

And another note to ED: when you start a mission the default setting is 0 which corresponds to no realistic altitude at all. Since it is so hard to set, the default should be 93 or 94 since most fighting is below 4 km altitude.

Of course, I don't know whether this adjustment has any effect in the sim. I might just be wasting my breath.

Edit: I have now reduced the gain in "clickabledata.lua" from 0.1 to 0.01, and now the thumbwheel can be adjusted with some accuracy.

1414329195_EZ42AltitudeAimingCorrection.jpg.2931c663c9675ff4686dc7f5da61328d.jpg

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

This is not currently the case, so can we consider it as a bug to be reported ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gunsight's gyro power switch "On", Gunsight ballistic adjustment unit Rotary "I" set to 100 (or 90 or whatever) and Target wingspan knob set to 11.2 and wait for 1.5 minute,

twisting grip for range gives this:

Screen_190105_235002.jpg.aec468a6b64c56d7a99a09f1c1b7648f.jpg

Screen_190105_235004.jpg.66fd3790327a80d950ec0c14bd2cf8ff.jpg

Screen_190105_235007.jpg.b2dbd1845e727e775c054f9ea958c464.jpg

Screen_190105_235009.jpg.095909d273d1a7a704653e74c972f74b.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cannot find any mention of a TAS adjustment. There is an adjustment for altitude though ( Altitude Aiming Correction). Unfortunately, the values indicated in that box on the right are are not legible and the thumbwheel rotates with lightning speed. So this adjustment is essentially useless.

@ED: You should give us a legible table of altitude settings, and you should unblur the box in the cockpit. And you should reduce the gain of this adjustment.

Edit: found the table in the texture file "fw190cpt_part06.dds". And yes, of course there is a path from altitude and IAS to TAS.

And another note to ED: when you start a mission the default setting is 0 which corresponds to no realistic altitude at all. Since it is so hard to set, the default should be 93 or 94 since most fighting is below 4 km altitude.

Of course, I don't know whether this adjustment has any effect in the sim. I might just be wasting my breath.

Edit: I have now reduced the gain in "clickabledata.lua" from 0.1 to 0.01, and now the thumbwheel can be adjusted with some accuracy.

The Altitude adjustment is I believe the input for the TAS adjustment ... talking about Bullets TAS to be used in the computation. Since Mv is known. So Altitude affects Bullet TAS which affects Tine Of flight so therefore lead required.

Gunsight's gyro power switch "On", Gunsight ballistic adjustment unit Rotary "I" set to 100 (or 90 or whatever) and Target wingspan knob set to 11.2 and wait for 1.5 minute,

twisting grip for range gives this:

That I believe is in fact a Bug then. Range obviously affects Gravity Drop and is independent of G or turn rate.

The Altitude adjustment is I believe the input for the TAS adjustment ... talking about Bullets TAS to be used in the computation. Since Mv is known. So Altitude affects Bullet TAS which affects Tine Of flight so therefore lead required.

Hope I get the physics right:

The Altitude adjustment thumbwheel is by default set to a value = 0. Considering that a value = 60 represents an altitude of 1o...12 km, this would correspond to an altitude in the upper stratosphere (25,700 m) with fairly low air density. With that given, the TAS calculation would result in a huge true air speed which would result in an almost straight line as the ballistic curve.

All speculation of course as we have no clue how the calculations are implementated.

ED please give us clarity!

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

You must set the Gunsight Rotary "I" Ballistic Adjustment Unit to your flight level, even if, for the moment, the changes are not as "visible".

Indeed, strange speculations ... what happens in case you set Rotary "I" to its max : 180 ?

- U-Boat Shooting ! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WHY this isn't in the FW190 official dcs manual??? I didn't know that this was modeled. There are more things modeled in the aircraft that aren't mentioned in the flight manual:mad::mad:?

Also there's a manual for the EZ 42 Adjustment panel box?

Looking at the K14 it exhibits the same problem in that GD is not changing with range either. Will post some details here as well and bug report both sights internally.

The Diagram below is for the K14/Gyro GS MKII illustrating the test procedure and illustrates what happens to the Pipper with range changes and the correction for Gravity Drop at 1G. There is also extensive notes in the source publication on exactly how the GD correction is made and how much. The EZ42 should behave in a similar fashion. So in the case of the EZ42 you should see the Gyro reticule drop as range is increased. You dont in the Sim as found by Scoll

K14GD.jpg

Edited by IvanK

Hope I get the physics right:

The Altitude adjustment thumbwheel is by default set to a value = 0. Considering that a value = 60 represents an altitude of 1o...12 km, this would correspond to an altitude in the upper stratosphere (25,700 m) with fairly low air density. With that given, the TAS calculation would result in a huge true air speed which would result in an almost straight line as the ballistic curve.

All speculation of course as we have no clue how the calculations are implementated.

ED please give us clarity!

The Adjustment box table is specific to a type of aircraft and weapon fit. The way its intended to be used is the pilot notes his altitude in KM then sets the knobs A and B in accordance with the table in the image below (from a translated German EZ42 Manual D.(Luft) T.g. 6413) the knobs have been set for an altitude of 6Km so Tumbler A at 76 and Tumbler B 40

EZ42-setting.jpg

The description from the translated EZ42 manual :

EZ42cal.jpg

Perhaps this is all moot anyway since in DCS only tumbler I is adjustable anyway :) .... Though the lack Gravity Drop correction with range is I believe valid

Edited by IvanK

Internal bug reports for both EZ42 and K14 not adjusting for gravity drop with range changes submitted.

Thanks Ivan!

LeCuvier

Could you reduce the gain on the altitude adjustment rotary as LeCuvier mentioned - it's impossibly fast.

Certainly a valid request. Not being the most patient of characters, I've helped myself. No big deal at all.

The file "clickabledata.lua" under "...\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FW-190D9\Cockpit\Scripts" has the following line:

elements["pntr_191"] = default_axis(_("EZ42 Gunsight Altitude Aiming Correction Adjusting Knob I"),devices.EZ42_GUNSIGHT, device_commands.Button_12, 191, 1.0, 0.1, false, false)

The value before the first "false" is the gain which controls how fast the wheel turns. I reduced it from 0.1 to 0.01 and that works fine for me using an UP/DOWN toggle switch. So the modified line reads:

elements["pntr_191"] = default_axis(_("EZ42 Gunsight Altitude Aiming Correction Adjusting Knob I"),devices.EZ42_GUNSIGHT, device_commands.Button_12, 191, 1.0, 0.01, false, false)

Of course I manage this with OvGME so I don't lose it in the next update.

PS: It's not the only case where I have changed the gain. Example: The course set command for the remote compass

LeCuvier

• 3 weeks later...