DLC Campaign - BFM Maneuvers

Horns

A campaign focusing on specific BFM Maneuvers (like high and low yo-yo, flat and rolling scissors etc) would be a fantastic resource for players who want to learn air-to-air.

The training missions could start right before the maneuver, with both the player and the target's a/c in the correct relative positions. Like other training, these training missions could start in active pause while a voice over could explain some theory and direct the player's attention to certain details (eg Angle Off Tail). That would give the player the chance to see and learn to recognize the situation where the maneuver should be executed, and it would be time efficient enough that a player could get the reps they need to improve. Further training missions could be included that talk a player through the approach that could create the situation where the maneuver could be used to best effect. Tracks could be included showing one of our RL fighter pilots flying the same mission - but that's getting pretty greedy.

The F/A-18 Hornet seems like the best airframe for this application, given that it is so broadly owned and its low-speed prowess. The M2K or the F-16 might also make sense.

I'm not sure how closely the mission designer can script AI behavior, so that might be one challenge this would need to overcome.

EDIT: There is an Aggressors BFM campaign for the F-5 already. I think that focuses more on skirmishes rather than individual maneuvers, as this one would. I think the greatest benefit would come from doing this in one of our more modern DCS level airframes, with modern aerodynamics, avionics etc.

Edited by Horns
Deleted one line from old draft, added bottom line

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

and then you get online and all of a sudden your paint-by-the-numbers bfm tactics evaporate

well i can see this being a good plan to fleece people who will never actually fight online

Not talking about pvp Probad, but thanks for contributing :thumbup:

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

Yeah I dunno, if someone wanted to make it I guess. I can see both sides, and really does the AI actually use BFM by the book? I can certainly see the point about online, but then again knowing BFM/being able to do BFM is another tool in the toolbox.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Isn’t there a BFM campaign for the F-5E and the F-15C?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Isn’t there a BFM campaign for the F5-E?

Yeah, I think there is an aggressors BFM campaign for the F-5 and the F-15C too. I was thinking more of the application of 4th gen tech like modern radars in one of our DCS level sims, but I should have acknowledged the F-5 and F-15 campaigns in the OP.

Edited by Horns
Updated to include F-15C

Yeah I dunno, if someone wanted to make it I guess. I can see both sides, and really does the AI actually use BFM by the book? I can certainly see the point about online, but then again knowing BFM/being able to do BFM is another tool in the toolbox.

The AI doesn’t seem to do BFM by the book so that might limit how far it could go re counters, but because of the controlled situation at least the initial maneuver would work. For instance, if the mission designer could just get the AI to fly a suitable curve, the player’s a/c would just need to be correctly positioned to be able to execute the high or low yo-yo. It would give the player the chance to understand the basic maneuver, and they could then go build on that through their own learning thanks to a solid understanding of what the initial move was.

BFM is never "by the book" it's just not how it works. There are plenty of resources online of these tactics. It's not about knowing how to do them but when and why, and also when not to. Practicing them in a fluid dynamic dogfight is the only way you will learn to fight. Go watch "The Art of the Kill" on you tube. Not one mention of any single maneuver, turned me from a scrub to halfway competent in one hour. If you listen to what he tells you, you will find yourself just doing the maneuvers without even realizing it. Nothing about BFM is classified. There are no top secret moves.

Edited by Jonnie2Bad

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

Isn’t there a BFM campaign for the F-5E and the F-15C?

These just put you into a fight. They don't teach you how to win. But in the end you learn by practice. It worked for me. At least against the AI.

@OP: It's not currently possible to force exact AI moves afaik.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Also recommended is Robert L Shaw's book "Fighter Combat - Tactics & Manoeuvring". Like Pete Bonanni, Shaw was also a vastly-experienced combat pilot and instructor so it's safe to say he knew what he's talked about. It's not an easy read or a "quick win" button, but the many sequential diagrams make the basic principles clear for even non-aviators. You still have to fly (and fight) the aircraft but your choice of tactic at the merge should now be clearer.

Numerous quotes from throughout history are also used to illustrate the text... the musings of legends such as Adolf Galland, "Pappy" Boyington, Robin Olds etc bring home the reality of aerial close-combat.

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb