=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server - Page 239 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #2381
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
the real answer for the spotting problems would be a good implemented smart scaling coupled with the above mentioned issues .key would be to make it subtle and dont overdo, like they did with the sprites which they called model enlargment. the past showed a couple of examples in flight sim history, were it was implemented very well.
+1
Though iirc DCS used to have this setting in options a while back, but got removed. Can't remember why. I think ED should bring it back.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #2382
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
+1
Though iirc DCS used to have this setting in options a while back, but got removed. Can't remember why. I think ED should bring it back.
they didnt have smart scaling, but just those awful sprites what they called model enlargment.
they were that overdone, that when i first tried dcs with this feature on, i confused a p51 with a cloud, until i noticed that the cloud was moving, and quite fast too. (no joke, im serious)

for some reason, ED's comments about smart scaling were something along the lines of "smart scaling is an old technique and we will come up with something much superiour".

as if an old technique must be automatically bad. and after those comments they came up with those model enlargement sprites. which rather looked embarrassing, and rather than being superiour actually have been the worst spotting helper i have ever encountered in any flight sim so far.

fortunately, they took them out again...on the other hand, unfortunately they didnt come up with any other solution.

and now, they introduced different style of labels, as if labels were the answer to a realistic spotting system...it feels like they have given up on actually trying to improve spotting.

dont know...thats my impression. all i do know is, that the vast majority of people i have spoken to over the past several years are of the opinion that something has to be done about spotting, and that this is a huge show stopper when its about ww2.

and here on this very thread, we have people, who want the labels much more pronounced, some want it even coloured, then there are people who want them less pronounced, and then there are people who dont want any labels at all....
i am convinced, that if ED would improve spotting, that 99% of the people would fall into the last category, and hardly anybody would want labels anymore, not on a "full real server" at least. i really think thats the only answer to our dilemma.

Last edited by birdstrike; 02-17-2019 at 04:12 PM.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #2383
9./JG26_Brigg

is the server down as i havent been able to see it in the list for the past 2 days
9./JG26_Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #2384
RIVER

Me too but I think connecting via IP may solve your problem.
RIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #2385
eekz
Veteran

Technical issues. I’ll let you know when the problem is solved and the server is back only
Damage Model
eekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #2386
eekz
Veteran

Server is online!
Damage Model
eekz is offline   Reply With Quote