Unable to trim for a level flight

arturojgt

Hi to everyone. I’m unable to trim the aircraft for a leveled flight, I have a Virpil T50, I changed the response curve to 30 to have not a “psycho reaction” aircraft but I can’t achieve a proper trim for a leveled flight.

Any sugestión?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I can always reach an almost leveled flight with the trim but I can never put the gauge in O feet per minutes, the plane is Always going up or down with only one click of the trim.

No, I mean when you reach your cruising altitude, trim for level flight and then adjust your throttle as needed to stay there. If your vertical speed is negative, throttle up slightly. If it's positive, throttle down. Then rinse and repeat as necessary, watching your variometer all the time.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The Sabre has no fly by wire that automatically adjusts trim. It's not possible IRL either to trim it perfectly for level flight, because things that impact the trim change constantly (fuel balance, wind, ...).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But like any well built and designed aircraft, you should be able to "trim the pressure off" in any attitude or configuration. A little more difficult with out force feedback but do-able. My hotas cougar has worked OK but can get out of whack after long fight times and use of pause.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

No, I mean when you reach your cruising altitude, trim for level flight and then adjust your throttle as needed to stay there. If your vertical speed is negative, throttle up slightly. If it's positive, throttle down. Then rinse and repeat as necessary, watching your variometer all the time.

I will try your sugestion this morning.

• 3 weeks later...

Hahaha, that’s exactly my problem but with the days passing and the f86 flying I can tell you this, there is no way to achieve 0ft/min. You must level the plane a look at the hud and identify where the horizon meet the border of the hud and fly it manually with minor adjustment in the trim (1 click) and again fly it manually. Every speed has his own setup of trim and again fly the plane with the hand on the stick and looking and your sweet spot in the frame of the hud. But you will be always going up or down a little.

I have actually found a way to perfectly trim this plane if you really want to. I just don't have much use for it. I have a Thrustmaster Warthog and this gives you a half wheel on the throttle piece just to the right of the actual throttle.

If you go into axis and assign this to the pitch trim and then make the adjustments in curves so that when the wheel is centered the trim is neutral then adjust it so the entire movement of the wheel down or up only adjusts the trim by one click then it becomes a super fine trim tab. Also, because it is not a button but a wheel and the single click is spread out of so much movement you can trim with the normal tabs and then fine tune with this. I've used it to walk away from the game in MP and go to the restroom.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trimming the F-86F-35 for Level Flight

The Sabre is very sensitive to acceleration/deceleration forces. So long as you are accelerating, the pitch will rise forcing the pilot to trim nose down. When decelerating, the pitch will drop and the pilot will need to trim the nose higher to maintain relatively level flight. So long as the speed is changing, the Sabre will porpoise and with every adjustment by the pilot using the control stick, that flight characteristic will get worse. Learn to fly the Sabre hands-off and you will be able to achieve level flight trim.

You can trim the Sabre to achieve level flight but as already stated above, the exact amount of pitch input will depend upon throttle settings that are adjusted for altitude, speed and payload/fuel on-board (e.g. weight).

Once you reach cruising altitude with 120 gal tanks, settle into a cruise of .85 Mach, then throttle back to 85-80% so that you can maintain that speed. Add very small pitch adjustments until you achieve level flight, then control roll with small taps left/right of the control stick. You must fly hands off to achieve level flight except as is needed to control a left roll tendency at high-Mach.

With tanks off flying a clean aircraft, the throttle will need to come back almost to idle as the Sabre will want to speed up past .95 Mach beyond which stable flight is nearly impossible.

Speed

Edited by No.401_Speed

Yes get your axes adjusted and tuned, fly with the stick and trim the pressure off. I have not had trouble, especially RTB and flying approach. Works great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse