Thinking of giving up on occulus

scampaboy

Hi guys,

I bought an occulus before christmas and to be honest I've hardly used it.

I looking for some help to see of I can sort out a problem I'm having with it or im just going to give up.

I have a 1080ti i7 6700 and 24 gb ram.

I can look past the reduced quality and the pixelation because the views are out of this world but I cant seem to get my eyes round something and its vitally important to dcs.

When looking through sights/hud the change in the glass really messes with my eyes I cant aim at all using hud or sights the image is distorted and the jaggies are so much it makes me feel sick. using one eye doesn't help and moving my head position round doesn't either.

I wear specs. does anyone have this problem like me ? can anyone offer any advice or should I just give up and continue to use track ir.

Ive tried vr zoom but it just seems to make it worse

I love flying in vr but I can shoot

regards

Richard

Sounds like you might not be using MSAA

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Sounds to me if you have ASW enabled. This can cause rather odd deformarions of hud. Often reffered to as ‘squiglies’. This happens if your fps drops below 45 fps. If your fps is higher then this is not the problem. Otherwise press lctrl+numpad1 to disable AWS.

I also use Rift and will never go back to none VR.

Sounds like you might not be using MSAA

I have 2 x MSAA i'll check it again.

Redeye I"ll check that although i'm running at 45 fps

Ive got it running smooth and i'm happy with the graphics, I love flying round in it especially the helicopters but can't do anything combat where I need to look down a sight. Maybe the anios something setting needs to go up to 16 ?

Well I also have specs and rarely get more then 45 fps but do not havd any HUD problems that you describe. Do yoj have this problem with the WOII modules? Then it might be in connection with the propelor and sight.

There is also an option go limit fps to 45 with AWS enabled so mayby you are flying with that on.

Yeah, it’s the ASW, turn it off. Seems to be the worst in the Spitfire

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

gotta be ASW. In my OTT profile, I always keep it off for DCS.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

gotta be ASW. In my OTT profile, I always keep it off for DCS.

I do as well for both my combat flight sims. I just get a much better experience with it off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Try Lctrl 1 (turn off asw), and LCtrl4 (turn on when needed) modes for occulus. I often find it helps with weird stutters/judders.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yep , i turn ASW off at every briefing screen .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'll repeat here a question I asked in another thread : do you guys know what Lctrl7 and Lctrl8 do ?

They do something, only when in VR, that's for sure...

There's a "device (dis)connected" sound and the display freezes for 2-3 seconds.

Any idea ? Anyone tried ?

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

No one knows, something that Oculus added and forgot to tell anyone what it's for.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'll repeat here a question I asked in another thread : do you guys know what Lctrl7 and Lctrl8 do ?

They do something, only when in VR, that's for sure...

There's a "device (dis)connected" sound and the display freezes for 2-3 seconds.

Any idea ? Anyone tried ?

refresh, reload VR? pause VR?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

No one knows, something that Oculus added and forgot to tell anyone what it's for.

Yeah no idea here either - maybe something for developer tools.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi guys,

I bought an occulus before christmas and to be honest I've hardly used it.

I looking for some help to see of I can sort out a problem I'm having with it or im just going to give up.

I have a 1080ti i7 6700 and 24 gb ram.

I can look past the reduced quality and the pixelation because the views are out of this world but I cant seem to get my eyes round something and its vitally important to dcs.

When looking through sights/hud the change in the glass really messes with my eyes I cant aim at all using hud or sights the image is distorted and the jaggies are so much it makes me feel sick. using one eye doesn't help and moving my head position round doesn't either.

I wear specs. does anyone have this problem like me ? can anyone offer any advice or should I just give up and continue to use track ir.

Ive tried vr zoom but it just seems to make it worse

I love flying in vr but I can shoot

regards

Richard

Hello Richard!

What I can give as feedback, is the following, but it most probably will not solve your issues.

But since I have no more experiences with the Rift, I can only tell you this story.

Maybe the distance of the two screens is not correct or they are accidentally twisted. I think it is labelled something like eye-distance, a small slider at the bottom. I had this (or probably very similar) problem when showing my VR to my friend who is wearing glasses. He told me about having diffuculties with the perception of the HUD indications, and when adjusting the distance very carefully it got better (but not perfect... according to his opinion). Obvoiusly for people not wearing glasses a slight deviation from the real eye-distance in relation to the setting on the Oculus doesn't make a big difference, but for guys wearing glasses it seems to require absolute fine tuning, and in the end it might not be perfect.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hello Richard!

What I can give as feedback, is the following, but it most probably will not solve your issues.

But since I have no more experiences with the Rift, I can only tell you this story.

Maybe the distance of the two screens is not correct or they are accidentally twisted. I think it is labelled something like eye-distance, a small slider at the bottom. I had this (or probably very similar) problem when showing my VR to my friend who is wearing glasses. He told me about having diffuculties with the perception of the HUD indications, and when adjusting the distance very carefully it got better (but not perfect... according to his opinion). Obvoiusly for people not wearing glasses a slight deviation from the real eye-distance in relation to the setting on the Oculus doesn't make a big difference, but for guys wearing glasses it seems to require absolute fine tuning, and in the end it might not be perfect.

and not all eyeballs are symmetrical to people heads, that's something people should think about when buying this kind of tech, your nearest Best buy or frys electronic stores will let you try them out before you buy.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Remove the foam frame, is what I did, my eyes need more than 7.0 distance,

without the foam frame (search YT mod its simply unclick) your eyes get nearer to the lenses., and I filled this up with tweaking a piece of foam to get it right, solved my issues.

My eyes are -2

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I was going to suggest the same as TOViper. I wear glasses sometimes, contacts other times. I prefer VR with contacts. Inter Pupil Distance comes into play twice with DCS:

1) I find that the manual adjustment for the lens spacing (the slider under your right eye on the Oculus frame - you move after pressing up on it) can cause a lot of strain and focus issues. I tend to move this to the extremes once or twice to find what *doesn't* feel right, and then keep walking it toward the middle, closer and closer to where I feel the least strain. It isn't scientific (there is a more scientific way in Oculus calibration or your optometrist can give you the exact measurement and you can try that).

2) in DCS VR settings, you can override the IPD setting there. I use 37. I just kept trying extremes and walking it to what *looked* right to me. This seems to affect the scale/size/proportion of the aircraft and world. I moved mine until it looked like 1:1 scale. Not sure if this could affect the HUD and gunsights etc. Definitely makes a huge difference in immersion. Good luck!