DCS World Support Linux

ErichVon

NO

Only a couple of games developed by Valve currently have SIMILAR performance on linux (TF2 and hl2).

Only because Valve invest lots of money and time to try to get blood from a turnip for marketing purpose (SteamOS linux distro).

Linux is not an os for gaming and an extremely profitable investment in short or long term.

You should call valve and tell them the news...

• Like 1

Only a couple of games developed by Valve currently have SIMILAR performance on linux (TF2 and hl2).

Not really anymore, few glorious examples: Metro Last Light, Verdun, BioShock Infinite, Cradle, Shadowrun series, Satellite Reign, Shadow of Mordor... all work fine under Linux.

And I forgot - War Thunder, works just great...

Besides, many can be emulated through wine, like Rise of Flight or example.

So actually time flies, and many things changing in Linux as well.

Edited by Mnemonic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deeplodokus

How I wish there was a way to run DCS on Linux... I have a Windows installed for the sole purpose of playing DCS. I'm normally a Linux user. But well, we can only dream :(

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I seriously Doubt you'll See Anything outside of Windows Support,

This Includes Linux, Consoles (Xbox One/PS4 etc), Due to the Fact that a majority of the Simulator is Compiled on Windows Runtimes and The Graphics API as Well.

It's Been brought up before and the answer from the last 6 years ago is still the answer.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 year later...

DCS World 2.5, DCS World 2.5 Open Beta, and DCS world 1.5 now all install and launch properly in the recent version of wine-staging with dxvk installed. When one goes to enter a match or mission, it does not crash, but there are shader issues that render the game unplayable. Hopefully this means that soon, DCS will run properly in Wine, because just launching and entering a mission is a huge step up from where it was before.

• 1 month later...
I seriously Doubt you'll See Anything outside of Windows Support,

This Includes Linux, Consoles (Xbox One/PS4 etc), Due to the Fact that a majority of the Simulator is Compiled on Windows Runtimes and The Graphics API as Well.

It's Been brought up before and the answer from the last 6 years ago is still the answer.

While I see it the same way as you, just wanted to note that we said exactly the same about Assetto Corsa on the respective forum … until they actually came up with a console version.

DCS World 2.5, DCS World 2.5 Open Beta, and DCS world 1.5 now all install and launch properly in the recent version of wine-staging with dxvk installed. When one goes to enter a match or mission, it does not crash, but there are shader issues that render the game unplayable. Hopefully this means that soon, DCS will run properly in Wine, because just launching and entering a mission is a huge step up from where it was before.

Thanks, good to know.

Since there are more and more hardware driver issues with Windows 7 on newer hardware I will have to move my gaming PC to Linux sooner or later (Windows 10 is not an option) when I perform the next hardware upgrade.

As soon as that happens DCS will either run using Wine or it's "Bye Bye DCS" (which would be very unfortunate :().

(My desktop is running Linux since over a decade now, actually without any reinstallation. :))

• 1 month later...

With the latest nvidia-driver installed from nvidia's website (396.51.0), the latest wine-staging (3.14) and the latest dxvk (0.70), DCS appears to work on linux! The UI works, the game renders - with lower FPS of course - and there are minor visual issues (in my test, trees appeared darker up close), but it works!

With the latest nvidia-driver installed from nvidia's website (396.51.0), the latest wine-staging (3.14) and the latest dxvk (0.70), DCS appears to work on linux! The UI works, the game renders - with lower FPS of course - and there are minor visual issues (in my test, trees appeared darker up close), but it works!

Very interesting.

Which linux? what gfx card? what screen resolution? what sort of FPS?

I'm also a Linux user, but keep a windows box for DCS and some other stuff. Would be nice to go pure-linux one day, but I realise there are performance hits. That said, things are definitely getting better, so I'm curious to know what so of linux system you're running and what sort of performance you're getting.

Has anyone setup DCS on a linux machine running inside of a 'windows virtual machine'?

Even if one gets DCS to run halfway properly via wine and DXVK and maybe even more smoothly with the latest steam play version Valve just released with their own take on wine and DXVK called 'Proton', one still faces the issue of getting the DCS mod ecosystem to work. Simple radio and the mod managers etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Virtual Machines do not utilise GPU's as such they are only good for running low performing applications on CPU only. However I am in high hopes that DCS World will gain Linux performance much faster now that Valve is helping with DXVK. Still, I hope ED switches to Vulkan in the future and develops DCS to run natively on Linux. Hell they could just release on consoles to if its money they need to make it happen.

Does anyone know if issues exist with DRM? ED is phasing this out yeah?

Edited by VikarOresos

.59% of the gaming demographic uses Linux.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

This whole topic makes no sense whatsoever. Any effort ED put towards such compatibility would be a total waste of resources. ED already has a very difficult and lengthy process to develop and release modules. Let’s not add to this by asking for something as ridiculous as supporting a practically unused OS

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

This whole topic makes no sense whatsoever. Any effort ED put towards such compatibility would be a total waste of resources. ED already has a very difficult and lengthy process to develop and release modules.

Yes, there's some truth to that.

However, it might be a good idea to not introduce barriers and if possible remove old ones.

Additional DRM often is a barrier (don't know the situation with the DCS Starforce modules there).

Many of the older games work quite fine, if you remove the copy protections, which often make very low-level and weird use of windows functions that are not (and maybe never will be) implemented in wine.

Something like Securom or the old Starforce (oh that was soooooo painful …) will never work under wine.

Steam DRM should be enough, IMO.

(Well, I'd vote for no DRM at all, but I don't think the devs would consider that.)

Edit: I should add a note to your claim about the 0.59%. While I'm certain that the number of Linux desktop users is low, it won't be that low.

You have to remember what is measured here: It's the number of Steam users using a certain OS.

I'm a happy Linux user since 2005 or 2006 on my desktop and I haven't missed Windows a bit since then.

However, I'm using Windows to play games, just because the games I want to play (like DCS for instance) don't work or only very badly using Wine.

Also, if I'd make use of that it would mean installing Steam using Wine as well and then Steam does not recognize this as a Linux machine but rather Windows (can't tell which version though, might depend on the settings).

This changed now with the Proton layer they introduced, because now Steam itself is doing all (or at least most) of the Wine work, so numbers should increase to a more realistic range (maybe around 1-2%, so still low).

I'm currently installing Linux on my gaming PC and will test this stuff out and then run everything that runs under Steam/Linux using that and only keep the Windows installation for those games that just won't run.

But even the latter is just borrowed time, because this will only work as long as Windows 7 is working for games, because for me Windows is going to stop after that. I won't install Windows 10 on my gaming PC, I just won't (yeah, we can have a lengthy debate about this topic, but I'd rather not …).

So don't get me wrong. You're right saying that Linux installations are on low numbers, just not that low. ;)

Edited by Berniyh

I am going to look into running windwos i a virutal machine when i buy my next graphics card sometime next year. Keep the old one for linux and all, and pass through the new one for gaming to a KVM win 10 installation. I would never run windows 10 on my main machine...it stops with win 7 for microsoft in all its part has moved in a direction like facebook, google and the rest of the lot of dataminers.

But, native linux support would be very welcome and i am pretty certain, that linux will grow over the next couple of years gaming wise. And to be honest, i don't see why it would be so much more hussle for most developers to support one more platform, when they are willing to natively support games for the Xbox, PS, Switch and what not. Yes, DCS is PC only and may be different beast.

Hello Berniyh,

I am also interested in the topic and have already carried out various experiments.

Mainly to get DCS Wolrd to run as a game server on a Linux server.

Years ago I tried out how DCS World behaves on a virtual Windows (Virtualbox).

Right at the start of DCS World the "Starforce copy protection" has taken and ended the game.

Allegedly this was working on a VMware ESXi server at the time.

Now I am testing again if DCS World runs with Wine on Linux.

I already read a positive experience report.

So first of all, DCS World almost works for me.

The program starts, you get into the main menu and can make the settings.

The editor also works so far.

Only when I start a game, the program crashes when creating the shaders.

The other user has a Nvidea graphics card and it works with Wine-staging and the DXVK DLL.

I have an AMD graphics card with the open source drivers and the slightly newer MESA drivers, but that's not quite it.

I'll try again, though, because I've found a few more clues.

CU Micha

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM

Edit: I should add a note to your claim about the 0.59%. While I'm certain that the number of Linux desktop users is low, it won't be that low.

You have to remember what is measured here: It's the number of Steam users using a certain OS.

It’s not “my” claim. The Steam Hardware Survey is certainly the largest and most relevant data regarding this. Steam Users are exactly the market segment that games like DCS are selling to.

And yeah, it’s that low.

ED perusing compatibility with an OS that’s used by half a percent of the market would be a super big waste of rescouces.

F0E83221-F9DC-46DE-A1EF-79158D17490A.jpeg.f727b0713d410493155dc2c5b568ba7d.jpeg

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

@Micha: I don't think that a virtual machine is the best solution for games, even if you pass through the graphics card.

It’s not “my” claim. The Steam Hardware Survey is certainly the largest and most relevant data regarding this. Steam Users are exactly the market segment that games like DCS are selling to.

And yeah, it’s that low.

ED perusing compatibility with an OS that’s used by half a percent of the market would be a super big waste of rescouces.

Well yes, but as I said the number is misleading for the reasons I've given.

The number of users that want to use Linux for gaming is higher.

If you look at Linux on Desktops, you'll commonly find numbers in the 1.x% range. (sometimes higher, depending on the evaluated country etc.)

Still low, I know, but higher than 0.5%. ;)

Virtual Machines do not utilise GPU's as such they are only good for running low performing applications on CPU only. However I am in high hopes that DCS World will gain Linux performance much faster now that Valve is helping with DXVK. Still, I hope ED switches to Vulkan in the future and develops DCS to run natively on Linux. Hell they could just release on consoles to if its money they need to make it happen.

Does anyone know if issues exist with DRM? ED is phasing this out yeah?

This is actually not true. Virtual machines can in fact work with GPU pass through, that gives native access to the GPU. In such cases the performance hit as actually quite minimal. There is a separate problem where Nvidia choses to block the driver from installing in a virtual environment (but there is a workaround), because they'd rather paywall that function behind workstation/server class cards.

The number of users that want to use Linux for gaming is higher.

How do you know? Is there any real data to support that conclusion? No. Most people probably think Linux is a cartoon character.

If you look at Linux on Desktops, you'll commonly find numbers in the 1.x% range. (sometimes higher, depending on the evaluated country etc.)

Still low, I know, but higher than 0.5%. ;)

You’re arguing .5% vs 1% as if it makes any difference. :cry:

How do you know? Is there any real data to support that conclusion? No. Most people probably think Linux is a cartoon character.

Yeah, there is. But it's not conclusive either, because it only tells you about the share of Linux (desktop) installations while what you want to know is the number of potential gamers.

You’re arguing .5% vs 1% as if it makes any difference. :cry:

Not really, I just made a small correction. I totally support your statement that (real) Linux support really should be very very low on the ED TODO list at present.

(which given the extensive length of the TODO list is practically the same as to not put it on there at all)

All I'm hoping for is that they don't introduce hurdles that make it harder to run the game using wine/Proton and if possible remove those that might be present.

This is actually not true. Virtual machines can in fact work with GPU pass through, that gives native access to the GPU. In such cases the performance hit as actually quite minimal. There is a separate problem where Nvidia choses to block the driver from installing in a virtual environment (but there is a workaround), because they'd rather paywall that function behind workstation/server class cards.

well … just don't buy a video card from Nvidia. Problem solved. ;)