QOL fix for the TPOD

Floydii

Just a small quality of life improvement:

Is it at all possible to change the displayed TPOD coords to DD,MM,SS lat/long to match the rest of the aircraft's nav system?

Right now its decimal(which is a right pain to convert), though I suspect the pod could be switched to DD,MM,SS or even MGRS IRL.

Just a small quality of life improvement:

Is it at all possible to change the displayed TPOD coords to DD,MM,SS lat/long to match the rest of the aircraft's nav system?

Right now its decimal(which is a right pain to convert), though I suspect the pod could be switched to DD,MM,SS or even MGRS IRL.

Should be I think, just not modeled at the moment.

As for the conversion I have a hill billy mad math method that agrees with my mind parts seeing as I ain't no mathematrickster.

054°14.768

Take the first decimal, multiply by 6 So 7 x 6 = 42

Then round up/down the second decimal, whichever is closest. .768 > .770

To be 'exact' you're dividing the second decimal by 1.6 but eyeballing it is fine e.g. you would add 3 seconds if the second decimal was 5, adding up to 6 additional seconds total.

In this case I'm adding 4 seconds. (7 / 1.6 = 4.3ish so 4 will do)

42 + 4 = 46

So my 054°14.768 becomes 054°14'46"

It's filthy and bizarre but I find it really easy to do in my head quickly and it somehow spits out reasonable numbers, gets the job done.

I have a different perspective.

54deg, 14.768 minutes.

1 minute = 60 seconds.

.768 minutes ( 3/4 a minute ) = aboot. 45 seconds.

A 15 sec. Deviation is under 1.5 NM. Its close, but if one memorizes 60 sec divided by 8 your deviation is halved. ( Its 7.5 deg, 15, 22.5, 30 and so on ) 1/8=.125, 1/4=.250, 3/8=.375, 1/2=.500 and so on.

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift

Look, yay maths and all that, but I just want to be able to read the numbers to someone without anyone having to do conversions prior to entry.

Bearings ... reciprocals ... fuel weight ... time ... coordinates.

Get used to doing maths :smartass:

You're a virtual pilot now :pilotfly:

Seriously .. there's no avoiding having to do calculations on the fly (literally). It's part and parcel of flying.

Should be I think, just not modeled at the moment.

As for the conversion I have a hill billy mad math method that agrees with my mind parts seeing as I ain't no mathematrickster.

054°14.768

Take the first decimal, multiply by 6 So 7 x 6 = 42

Then round up/down the second decimal, whichever is closest. .768 > .770

To be 'exact' you're dividing the second decimal by 1.6 but eyeballing it is fine e.g. you would add 3 seconds if the second decimal was 5, adding up to 6 additional seconds total.

In this case I'm adding 4 seconds. (7 / 1.6 = 4.3ish so 4 will do)

42 + 4 = 46

So my 054°14.768 becomes 054°14'46"

It's filthy and bizarre but I find it really easy to do in my head quickly and it somehow spits out reasonable numbers, gets the job done.

If 1 is 60 seconds, 0.768 will be?

0.768 x 60 = 46”

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I just kind of spitball it.

.1 is 6'

.2 is 12'

.25 is 15'

.5 is 30'

.75 is 45'

and so on. It'll get you close enough. You are using the TPOD or DMT so with FLIR you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

I just kind of spitball it.

.1 is 6'

.2 is 12'

.25 is 15'

.5 is 30'

.75 is 45'

and so on. It'll get you close enough. You are using the TPOD or DMT so with FLIR you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Just perfect.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Just perfect.

I mean, when you think about it that way, the more decimal places you're concerned about is only going to move you a couple meters across the ground, if you're 10+ miles out, especially with a variable zoom TPOD, it's literally a rounding error.

Hahaha, flying is literally like 60% rough (and I mean ROUGH) math. Boil it down as simple as you can.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift