Mig-19 Ground radar return test

=DECOY=

You right Koty, but some small clarification. MiG-19P had one radar with two antennas, one small antenna for tracking and upper bigger antenna for search duties. Search antenna had two reflectors, one was looking up above aircraft's axis (0 deg to +13 deg), second was looking down below aircraft's axis (0 deg to -13 deg). Search antenna was turning from left to right, sweeping alternately "upper" or "lower" part of scanning area. Turning speed was 80 rpm's, so 360 deg sweep was held in 1,33 sec, this means that target's blips from "upper" and "lower" were refreshed every 1,33 sec, but "middle" blips every 0,67 sec. According some sources search antenna was working with G-load up to 4, but I'm not sure about this info.

Rather is impossible turn off one of search antenna's reflector from cockpit so probably low level trick needed some pre flight technician intervention.

Testing the ground clutter suffered by the RP-5 radar whenever one is flying too low.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

The MiG-19P has a "low altitude" switch that puts the search antenna in standby and converts the tracking antenna into a telemetry radar. No radar indication and the radar gunsight is not available, but the SP-5 gets range to target.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

It's almost as if it was a work in progress or something. Who could have guessed that....

Yeah :megalol:

Just hope that all this doesn't lead us to get less WIP stuff of the modules...

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Awesome! :thumbup:

All this boils down to the fact that "I knot it's WIP, but..." = "I don't understand what WIP means".

ED PR forced the public into opinion that what we saw as a placeholder was final implementation. Thats why "WIP" or "this is subject to change" somewhere on devs own videos description would eliminate all misunderstanding.

Edited by Кош

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

You right Koty, but some small clarification. MiG-19P had one radar with two antennas, one small antenna for tracking and upper bigger antenna for search duties. Search antenna had two reflectors, one was looking up above aircraft's axis (0 deg to +13 deg), second was looking down below aircraft's axis (0 deg to -13 deg). Search antenna was turning from left to right, sweeping alternately "upper" or "lower" part of scanning area. Turning speed was 80 rpm's, so 360 deg sweep was held in 1,33 sec, this means that target's blips from "upper" and "lower" were refreshed every 1,33 sec, but "middle" blips every 0,67 sec. According some sources search antenna was working with G-load up to 4, but I'm not sure about this info.

Rather is impossible turn off one of search antenna's reflector from cockpit so probably low level trick needed some pre flight technician intervention.

Exactly as you say. The one antena would be blinded on the ground.

In DCS practice, it would be the same as having the option in the load-out menu.

Edited by Koty

Awesome! :thumbup:

ED PR forced the public into opinion that what we saw as a placeholder was final implementation. Thats why "WIP" or "this is subject to change" somewhere on devs own videos description would eliminate all misunderstanding.

That is the inherent issue with early-access products. When releasing footage yourself, you can simply say "don't mind this, this is just place-holder"; when you actually let people try it out, they don't have this commentary and cannot tell what is finalized and what is not - and will inevitably assume that things that look at least half pretty or plausible are supposed to be finalized or at least representative of what the final product will work like...

All this boils down to the fact that "I knot it's WIP, but..." = "I don't understand what WIP means".

Previously I was under the impression, that the forum is there to discuss subjects related, ask questions and provide feedback... :doh:

Well after seeing a WIP video it's one thing to say: 'Hey, I've seen this, it doesn't look quite right because reasons, is there a chance it will be refined in the future?' That would be having a discussion, asking questions, giving feedback.

It's another thing to say stuff like:

The ONE system the airplane has and they f***ed it.

I'm not excited for the MiG 23 now

it's laughable that the free A-4E mod made by people donating their time has a more realistic radar implementation than a licensed developer's full priced module.
Not falling for the "this is WIP" song. We all know how much of that code will be changed prior to imminent release, seen it before with mig21, F-5. Radar scopes get very poorly simulated in DCS baring what one quite different 3rd party does.

Luckily the Mig-23 doesn't require any talent in the radar department, it's already filtered direct to HUD.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Previously I was under the impression, that the forum is there to discuss subjects related, ask questions and provide feedback... :doh:

Didn't you know? The ED forum is here to be rude and aggressive to your fellow posters, where did you get the weird idea that feedback was a good thing?

Yeah, that's fine. But that's not what happened. Instead we got a variety of random kneejerk reactions, and now back pedaling since they realise how foolish they now look.

@кош

As for having to put a ''WiP / placeholder'' warning on every screenshot or video so people don't behave like idiots, one that wouldn't work. People would still behave like idiots.

Oh, do you guys also want a 'caution may be hot' label on your coffee and perhaps 'Barbie does not really move and talk' on your advertisements? An old video of a non-released product can reasonably be assumed to ''be subject to change''. Do they need to go over every label, texture, display, antennae, etc, circle it in red and put flashing ''not 100% finished yet'' on it?

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

We were demonstrated an undone representation. Simultaneously it was explicitly stated in newsletter this will be released this damned month as final. What the hell is not clear?

Edited by Кош

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

It didn't help that in the MiG-19 status thread the following items were marked as **done** at the end of last year

RP-5 Izumrud radar

RP-5 Izumrud radar search antenna degradation due to ground return

RP-5 Izumrud radar search antenna degradation due to jammers

RP-5 Izumrud radar anti-jamming function

RP-5 Izumrud radar tracking antenna limitations due to ground return

RP-5 Izumrud radar Low altitude (below 2000 meters AGL) telemetry mode.

RP-5 Izumrud radar ground return in scope

Then 1 month after that youtube previews came out showing the radar using the static texture, a mere 1 week before the scheduled full release. Is it honestly surprising that people were concerned?

Okay, answered my question. Looks good Zeus!

Previously I was under the impression, that the forum is there to discuss subjects related, ask questions and provide feedback... doh.gif

You get used to it. Some people enjoy being unreasonable for the sport. No discussion would have been 'good enough' for them.

Edited by Auditor

a mere 1 week before the scheduled full release. Is it honestly surprising that people were concerned?

This is actually the primary issue : dates…

Hopeless addicted people are always asking "when" every minute, and sadly developers provide obviously badly estimated dates, provoking seizures to self-sacralized customers if the deadline is not met (or seeming to not going to be met).

They should never give estimations nor damn dates. It too often been a communication failure here on DCS. But what I found best is to provide the number of tasks done, the ones to come, and draw a graph showing the progression over time to let every one to get own estimation of the release time frame.

There is relatively a extremely little time left to wait for the MiG-19 module (next ones on my shopping list require years to wait), will people be intelligent enough to keep calm if a mere week delay is added ?

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module