Can't get 'er started with Cold Start Tut

Bahger

I am having problems. I can't follow the instructions to get the engine started by following the tutorial. Either I am missing something simple or there is a bug in the tutorial procedure. Plus the tooltip identifiers for the cockpit buttons do not seem to function in this tut. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong or point me at a reliable, beginner's start-up checklist? Many thanks.

It's 6 switches plus a throttle nudge.

1. Battery. Right side forward.
  2. Both fuel pumps. Behind throttle.
  3. DECS Switch. Next to seat-back left side.
  4. Fuel shutoff. Same place.
  5. Engine start switch. Right side forward.
  6. Once the engine gets to 9% bump the throttle forward and pull it back. This moves it from cutoff to idle.

There's a few post-start items but this will get the engine running.

It's also a good idea to map the idle cutoff lever to a button or key press. If the lever is unlocked (which sometimes happens on cold start) you won't be able to get above 9% rpm.

Here's a quick and dirty startup flow that I do. I skipped all of the systems tests and everything. You can ignore the 4° nose-down STAB POS trim--that's just a VMAT-203 procedure I do out of habit.

4vu8zjC9Gr8

Edited by Nealius

The #1 issue for most new ppl is the throttle cutoff and then parking brake.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

These responses are very helpful, thank you.

I got it started in the in-sim tutorial last night but am not sure I can repeat the feat! It baffles me that the tool tips are disabled and certain inputs advance the tutorial before I've read all the text.

Re. throttle cutoff and parking brake, yes, these are the most troublesome issues for me. The brake is invisible behind the throttle and if you click the throttle by mistake after engine start it shuts the engine down. Does anyone know a key combo for the parking brake? One more question: I have the Warthog throttle which has a cutoff detent; is it still advisable to map the idle cutoff lever to a button or key press or is that not necessary as long as I remember to put the throttle in the cutoff detent before startup?

You can map the cutoff to throttle cutoff.

Parking brake can be mapped to whatever key command or the warthog.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You can map the cutoff to throttle cutoff.

Parking brake can be mapped to whatever key command or the warthog.

Well, my assumption is that with the mechanical throttle cutoff for the Warthog, I shouldn't have to map it, unless I am missing something. The parking brake, however, is a different matter. Pesky thing!

Well, my assumption is that with the mechanical throttle cutoff for the Warthog, I shouldn't have to map it, unless I am missing something. The parking brake, however, is a different matter. Pesky thing!

The throttle cuttoff in the Harrier is a bit different. Instead of the cutoff simply being a throttle detent between OFF and IDLE, there is an actual lever that locks the throttle in OFF or in the operating range. You can interact with this lever in the cockpit. If the lever is unlocked, even with the throttle OFF, the engine won't spool.

The throttle cuttoff in the Harrier is a bit different. Instead of the cutoff simply being a throttle detent between OFF and IDLE, there is an actual lever that locks the throttle in OFF or in the operating range. You can interact with this lever in the cockpit. If the lever is unlocked, even with the throttle OFF, the engine won't spool.

Now that's useful to know, thank you!

Go into the control map and find thotle cutoff. And then move the warthog to idle position, it maps as button not an axis.

One thing I do that helps is the Pre-flight check. Some things may be missing still that have not been modeled but it is very few.

Start at the back left with the DECS switch, EFC Pos 1, Lights as desired, Fuel switches on/normal (x3) Rudder shaker to on, Anti-skid on, flaps to cruise, DMT on (off if using TPOD) the switch next to DMT to mid, all dials off, Hud rej, Night/Day as desired ( Auto does not work yet??? I never use it) Radar alt as desired, EWS on, CMS as desired but at very least AUTO, battery on, Radio to TR-Gaurd, interior lights as desired, rear intruments something to on and adjust the dial to AUTO, (not needed) Check warning lights, (next to interior lights) turn off MC, DECS on, striped handle down, OXY on, Eng. start, immediately go to throttle, bump to idle, engage throttle cut off, flip the canopy lever check light, return canopy lever, close canopy, turn on engine management light as desired, at 8% bump throttle back to idle, set all dials as desired, when GEN light goes out turn on flaps, turn on gear light, check probe, dbl check oxygen.

Easy as pie! LOL!

INS needs aligned (thats a different monster but not bad) Select fuel and arms, select takeoff based on weight, wind, land, sea.

My point is to make the pre flight check each time. It greatly reduces a non-start + gets you familliar with the pit.

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift