Huey and landing! Where are those experts pilot with quick landing :) - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #41
thrustvector

its much the same as broadsiding a car, ripping a board/surf/skate, and flicking on mtb, the sideways movement works to scrub of speed quickly acting like a brake.
imagine a piece of card held sideways on edge, swing that round in your hand, then turn it face on, you can feel the friction effect
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #42
Sandman1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkku View Post
@Chic
I don't think it's arcadey to do it like that. I'm not a Huey pilot in real life, but I slow down exactly as you describe too in the sim. I started doing it simply because it's the most effective method. I have no doubt real pilots do it as well. Would be interesting to hear a real Huey driver pitch in!
Nope, we don’t do this IRL. Couple of big problems with it:

1. Loss of tail rotor effectiveness. If you turn right and decel moving left, you are in danger of tail rotor VRS. If you do it the other way, the aircraft will want to weathercock and you will run out of left pedal.

2. Door gunners. If you are doing a tactical insert like that, your door gunners can’t shoot anything to defend your aircraft if the LZ is cherry.

3. Skids straight. If you lose an engine (or the engine in game, since I fly a twin), you will hit the ground sideways and flip in a spinning mass of death

4. Sidewards flight limitation. My aircraft (CH146 Griffon) has a limit of 35kts sidewards flight, related to point 1 above. Don’t know about the Huey.

5. There’s no need, we can get her slowed down in a Tac decel straight ahead just fine
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #43
Hammer_nine_seven

Never did in a real UH-1 as well as in any other helicopter although there are obviously civil guys who did stuff like this IRL.
https://youtu.be/WkFPAtuXLDs
I would not call this good habits. Reasons are already pointed out.
Hammer_nine_seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #44
Sharkku

Awesome! Thanks for replying, guys! Always good with a reality check!
Sharkku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #45
Sandman1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer_nine_seven View Post
Never did in a real UH-1 as well as in any other helicopter although there are obviously civil guys who did stuff like this IRL.
https://youtu.be/WkFPAtuXLDs
I would not call this good habits. Reasons are already pointed out.
That’s an interesting one. Looks to me like he was approaching downwind and pedal turned it into wind for the landing. Maybe terrain or turbulence made for a one way approach... I wouldn’t do that heavy though, that’s an overtorque waiting to happen
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #46
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post
That’s an interesting one. Looks to me like he was approaching downwind and pedal turned it into wind for the landing. Maybe terrain or turbulence made for a one way approach... I wouldn’t do that heavy though, that’s an overtorque waiting to happen
Thought that too. But the terrain looks open enough to make a wider approach (in the background so to say) and come in for landing into the wind. If that doesn't work and it is turbulence that make the pilot to opt for that approach, it is too much turbulence for heli-skiing in the first place (i.e. not worth the risks flying civilians for that cause, in those conditions). In my opinion he is also way to close the passengers for the actual landing. Would say it's all for the show.
No doubt a skilled pilot (when it comes to control, not risk assessment...), but too bold. And I assume you all know the saying: “There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.”
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #47
Holbeach

After seeing this thread, I decided to dig out the Huey and try this manoeuvre at 53.30, as used by the Chinook in Afghanistan, as a run in for a quick landing.

The, nose down 270 quick stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-99WXFuPA5k&t=101s

I'm still working on it..

Holbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #48
Frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbeach View Post
After seeing this thread, I decided to dig out the Huey and try this manoeuvre at 53.30, as used by the Chinook in Afghanistan, as a run in for a quick landing.

The, nose down 270 quick stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-99WXFuPA5k&t=101s

I'm still working on it..
Ha the chinook ... another helicopter I would sell my soul to have available in DCS.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #49
Quadg

@Holbeach

nice find that one. saw the chinook display at Cleethorpes a few years ago.

I like the way they swap to the other squadrons older chinook for the display.
the one without the flight computer that keeps freaking out

that 270 quick stop would probably work better in a ka 50.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #50
Jester986

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
As I remember it, there're a couple of guys here who've flown the real thing. Would be interesting if they chipped in.

Not sure about the tail rotor's role in slowing the thing down, though. AFAIR the RL UH-1 tail rotor was pretty ineffective and didn't actually have enough thrust to even keep the chopper straight in some situations when the PIC pulled collective; although this is just anecdotal so take it for what it's worth. Again, would be interesting if someone in the know chipped in.

Flew her again myself today after a long break, BTW. She rawks; didn't even remember what a loosely flying in formation bunch of nuts and bolts of fun she is
The maneuver is definitely not best practices and I haven't and won't do it in a huey. But I don't fly in combat so don't know if someone would do it in an oh shit situation. I have however done it in an MD-500 while herding fish. I know sounds crazy, but we would herd tuna into fishing nets. Anyway you're very low and fast darting around the school and I would do sideways and even backwards quickstops to avoid sticking the tail in the water. It was accepted that aircraft wouldn't last very long and you may go for a swim, but they only had to last a year out there to turn a profit. I had a friend catch his float on a wave doing it and he swam away unscathed and they had him a new helicopter three days later.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote