2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

46 minutes ago, unknown said:

I don't want to downplay the problem but maybe because widespread is subjective? I had 2 problems with 2.7.x versions of DCS:

- crashes with the F-14 because DCS failed to load F-14 related stuff - solved by deinstalling/installing the module again

- black screen after patch - solved by deleting the options.lua file

I never had crashes on second mission load/ switching airplane slots....i get it is annoying if you are affected by a bug, especially if it ends in a crash but i also don't see hundreds/thousands of people in that thread, that would be widespread IMHO. Again, i'm not downplaying the problem and i hope it gets fixed sooner than later but please stop with the exaggerations(widespread).

🍻

Well, out of 93 pages in the Crash section of the forum dating back to 2012, the 2.7 crash topic has by far had the most replies...1K+ with the next topic having 252 replies.  Take it for what it's worth, but it seems to be the most significant problem with crashes in 9 years.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Supposed new model for the S-300 search radar spotted in some of the screenshots.

In_Dev_28.05.2021.16.jpg Hero14.jpg

The PT screenshot in full resolution has been removed. Also, it is interesting to notice how they have, PTs lining up behind the Il-76s... as if they will load them in.(edited)

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 3

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

13 minutes ago, Donut said:

Well, out of 93 pages in the Crash section of the forum dating back to 2012, the 2.7 crash topic has by far had the most replies...1K+ with the next topic having 252 replies.  Take it for what it's worth, but it seems to be the most significant problem with crashes in 9 years.

Yes, it is the hot topic in that section. But many replies are like what? "...deleted xyv...worked...oh it is back...tried this....oh, didn't work....will try xyz...." Heck, i also posted there for comparison of my settings hoping it would help(but didn't).

Don't get me wrong, like i said in my first post, it is not my intention to downplay this problem, maybe it is just a language thing but for me "widespread problem" = over 50% of user base has this problem and that is something i can't see! I can play for hours on same/different maps/missions/modules, no problems with crashes. Maybe i just read so many exaggerations(not from you) on this forum that this one triggered me, i don't know, sorry if that pissed you off, it was not my intention.

🍻

• Like 3

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

With every new Marianas screenshots published, being a PTO fan, I'm very excited about the map, but also getting worried a bit. The last ED-made map, Channel one, is a beauty no doubt, but also unoptimized, framerate murdering mess for anyone who doesn't have latest and greatest gfx cards. I really hope Marianas one doesn't turn out to be the same in this regard, especially with overall performance hit 2.7 brought.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

15 minutes ago, unknown said:

Yes, it is the hot topic in that section. But many replies are like what? "...deleted xyv...worked...oh it is back...tried this....oh, didn't work....will try xyz...." Heck, i also posted there for comparison of my settings hoping it would help(but didn't).

Don't get me wrong, like i said in my first post, it is not my intention to downplay this problem, maybe it is just a language thing but for me "widespread problem" = over 50% of user base has this problem and that is something i can't see! I can play for hours on same/different maps/missions/modules, no problems with crashes. Maybe i just read so many exaggerations(not from you) on this forum that this one triggered me, i don't know, sorry if that pissed you off, it was not my intention.

🍻

No problem buddy.  I completely understand what you mean.

I just wish the Newsletter would address the "hot topic" bugs, just as an update and to let everyone be aware.  A lot of info can be buried in so many posts...plus, not everyone frequents the forums and the Newsletter is all they really go by.

Anyways, happy flying and I hope (judging by your avatar) that the Hind is released soon!

🍻🍩

• Like 2

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

2 minutes ago, Art-J said:

With every new Marianas screenshots published, being a PTO fan, I'm very excited about the map, but also getting worried a bit. The last ED-made map, Channel one, is a beauty no doubt, but also unoptimized, framerate murdering mess for anyone who doesn't have latest and greatest gfx cards. I really hope Marianas one doesn't turn out to be the same in this regard, especially with overall performance hit 2.7 brought.

At least the land area is comparatively tiny. That said, there is a lot of vegetation.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, unknown said:

I don't want to downplay the problem but maybe because widespread is subjective? I had 2 problems with 2.7.x versions of DCS:

- crashes with the F-14 because DCS failed to load F-14 related stuff - solved by deinstalling/installing the module again

- black screen after patch - solved by deleting the options.lua file

I never had crashes on second mission load/ switching airplane slots....i get it is annoying if you are affected by a bug, especially if it ends in a crash but i also don't see hundreds/thousands of people in that thread, that would be widespread IMHO. Again, i'm not downplaying the problem and i hope it gets fixed sooner than later but please stop with the exaggerations(widespread).

🍻

I second this. I am fortunate enough to not experience this yet. Maybe it's because I've only been flying the Viper. I'll try other jets and see.🤞🏾

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

3 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

Glad to see improvements for the water graphics!, particularly the sun reflections over the water and clouds shadows over water too.

In_Dev_28.05.2021.3.jpg

Is it me, but does the shore look very low-res and pixelated? Almost as if there's no water there?

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 hours ago, Donut said:

In this week's newsletter, why is there no mention/acknowledgement of the continued and worsening crashes in 2.7?

It has long since become a widespread and critical problem with no obvious cause/solution.  

How widespread is it if none of the ED programmers seems to have it and probably non of the closed beta testers either?

Count the different members in the 2.7 crash subforum and put these against the total forum members and subtract a little stable only players and then you have your widespread number. I guess it ain't that big.

And if you want, just hop over to play 2.7 crash free. Still have to see my first 2.7 crash...(and i played 2D, VR and MP (both 2D and VR) on a daily basis).

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The modern Marianas map is looking great.

No WW2 news at all again this week? A year or so ago it felt like DCS WW2 was really gathering pace. Not so now, you can see the numbers of new posts dwindling in the WW2 section also, people are drifting away unfortunately.

• Like 3

I've just had a Newsletter like "Sunday Supplement" from ED appear in my emails, all about the Freya and Würzburg-Riese RADAR systems.

Anybody else seeing the same?

• Like 1

System:

7 hours ago, Mogster said:

No WW2 news at all again this week? A year or so ago it felt like DCS WW2 was really gathering pace. Not so now, you can see the numbers of new posts dwindling in the WW2 section also, people are drifting away unfortunately.

Agree. No mention of the Mosquito again either...

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

I've just had a Newsletter like "Sunday Supplement" from ED appear in my emails, all about the Freya and Würzburg-Riese RADAR systems.

Anybody else seeing the same?

Same here, some really interesting information and photo's in it too. Nice little surprise to find in the inbox.

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

1 minute ago, bart said:

Same here, some really interesting information and photo's in it too. Nice little surprise to find in the inbox.

Sure, (though the photos don't seem to be in the screenshot section, like they are for the newsletter).

That said, the Freya has a broken animation since 2.7 and I'm not even sure what the Würzburg-Riese even does right now in DCS. I guess that's for their own threads though.

System:

2 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Just wanted to say I loved the Sunday Supplement!

Thanks for that one. I encourage and applaud more of the same in the future.  :clap_2:

+1 That was a nice surprise. 👍

I'm wondering(this is highly speculation!), with the mentioned "topics" radar, ecm, paratroopers in that story if this is a "teaser" of things to come/get improved in DCS?

🍻

Edited by unknown
  • Like 2

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

On 5/28/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ala12Rv-watermanpc said:

Glad to see improvements for the water graphics!, particularly the sun reflections over the water and clouds shadows over water too.

In_Dev_28.05.2021.3.jpg

Shadows over water and some more differents ocean colours from alttitude could give great depth and feeling to mariana maps. I hope ED fix soon VR glitches that remains (mainly cloud jittering and some objects details not rendering at some distances). 

1 hour ago, draconus said:

So that Sunday Supplement is subscription email only? I don't see it on www or News forum.

For me newsletters are borked since a few years. Went through support to get everything reset, worked for a few weeks and then went belly up again. I don't bother anymore.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1 hour ago, draconus said:

So that Sunday Supplement is subscription email only? I don't see it on www or News forum.

Yes, it seems to be only on the mail subscription .. the original is in html format, I tried to save it on pdf format but it doesnt look as good as on my e-mail client (MS Outlook) .. I'm attaching it in case you want to take a look  (removed .. see posts below)

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

16 minutes ago, draconus said:

Thx, Rudel, looks like BN just added it here

OK, I will delete it from my post as it is not needed and dont want to infringe on any copyright 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Btw, this is great story, I'd gladly welcome more, thx. I had no idea they used radars (and countermeasures!) that early into the war. It further highlights how important radar and CM/ECM simulation is in DCS. It's high time ED takes it one step further.

• Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria