Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations

Right aileron or left aileron aren't supposed to be applied on the takeoff run when there is crosswind?

That's the usual philosophy. Apply aileron into the crosswind during takeoff to prevent the upwind wing from lifting. In the SIM with nill wind the spit seems to have the left wing a little low during takeoff - a bit of right aileron helps to keep the wings level resulting in a clean takeoff. Not sure if this is realistic but it helps. Just do whatever it takes to keep the wings level.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the usual philosophy. Apply aileron into the crosswind during takeoff to prevent the upwind wing from lifting. In the SIM with nill wind the spit seems to have the left wing a little low during takeoff - a bit of right aileron helps to keep the wings level resulting in a clean takeoff. Not sure if this is realistic but it helps. Just do whatever it takes to keep the wings level.

Following the advices read here i think using the brakes help more.

DCS Discord community - https://discord.gg/U8aqzVT

Right aileron or left aileron aren't supposed to be applied on the takeoff run when there is crosswind?

From https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179253 (my new bible :) ) :

5. The left swinging effect of engine torque and the ground interaction as a result can be countered with the application of right aileron during the take-off roll. However, you must be proficient at modulating this input as aileron authority increases with airspeed. Failure to do so will only result in a swing and/or roll in the opposite direction, which you may not be expecting. Overall, that may add to your problems rather than helping, so experiment with applying right aileron and holding it prior to starting the ground roll, OR starting neutral and feeding in some aileron immediately prior to the torque causing a swing. There’s no right or wrong way here, it’s down to what works for you.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

• ED Team
a typical day in the office....

SsjrNgX.jpg

Oil, canvas, 445 cm x 215 cm, DCS museum of art.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

Takeoff - it's very simple!

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Takeoff - it's very simple!

Show off!

:thumbup:

You sure do make it all look easy!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes, quite easy once have get the basics down and have the right amount of takeoff trim set.

Good use of rudder is also important, and even more so when landing.

Is there any need to use also right aileron when TO ? Spit tends to roll left... :music_whistling:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

trim neutral position

ruder 1/4 right

at 60 Mph stick neutral pos.

prop 3000 RPM

Boost 8

She doesnt want to takeoff by herself

:(

Edited by =Pedro=
link

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

I can't see your feet for most of the video but I can tell the problem is your footwork. You're getting "behind" the plane and over correcting.

Here's how I learnt, when you start rolling you want to "dance" on the rudders. Left - right - left - right in quick succession, pushing a bit more left to go left, or a bit more right to go right, but always keeping the rhythm going. At first it's best to do this really rigidly to get it into your head. As you get used to it you get less rigid, but even now if I feel it's getting away from me at all I do "the dance".

I can't see your feet for most of the video but I can tell the problem is your footwork. You're getting "behind" the plane and over correcting.

Here's how I learnt, when you start rolling you want to "dance" on the rudders. Left - right - left - right in quick succession, pushing a bit more left to go left, or a bit more right to go right, but always keeping the rhythm going. At first it's best to do this really rigidly to get it into your head. As you get used to it you get less rigid, but even now if I feel it's getting away from me at all I do "the dance".

Cheers buddy :)

Cheers buddy :)

To train on the dancing for both take off and landing, I did several pure ground run on a free runway : just align, accelerate, keep on the runway while dancing, then lower engine to decelerate and stop at the other end of the runway, still keeping on the runway with the rudder dance.

Do a 180°.

Rince and repeat in the other direction.

Several of these got me to master the take off, somehow. Landing I'm now nearly never breaking the plane anymore, even though I still touch wing tips from time to time.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

trim neutral position

ruder 1/4 right

at 60 Mph stick neutral pos.

prop 3000 RPM

Boost 8

:(

My settings are the same.

But, I do not have to touch the rudders on takeoff by having the rudder trim FULL right with a touch of aeleron right when required - throttle up slowly.

The Spit lands like a dream compared to the 109 for me. I'm going to need a longer extension for the 'hog, though. 8cm isn't going to cut it... thinking about 12.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

The Spit lands like a dream compared to the 109 for me. I'm going to need a longer extension for the 'hog, though. 8cm isn't going to cut it... thinking about 12.

For me is contrary, 109 is much better for takeoff and landing

RYZEN 7 1800X 3.5ghz / 32 DDR4 RAM Crucial / Nvidia 2070 RTX EVGA / Samsung SSD 500 GB / Acer XB270H G-Sync / Trackir 5 / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / Oculus CV1