DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

I discovered something kind of cool this afternoon.

I had been runnign for the longest with my terrain object shadows set on Flat Only.

I changed it to Default , and flew the Hornet Cold Start mission on the Roosevelt again.

My regular shadows I had had and still have on High.

So previously, at the start of that mission , with the two Hornets getting ready to take off when I enter my dark cockpit, fps on my Rift S would be below 40 fps, down to around 28-30. Once those guys got airborne i went back up to 40 fps whilst on the deck taxiing for takeoff.

Well after the change from flat only to default, my FPS on the deck at the start of the mission never dropped below 40 fps, and performance in the air seemed better, I would get to 80 fps quicker.

IIRC previously it was the opposite, default shadows were more demanding than flat only. That is certainly not the case now on my end.

Hi Don,

I tried your settings and was very pleased to notice the same effect!! Well done sir ! I have almost everything maxed out, except visibility range at medium, MSAA x2, OTT SS 1.3, even bloom and global illumination enabled, Cockpit shadows on medium and terrain shadows on default as you suggested, I've got a pretty solid 40FPS with ASW on Rift S in every situation (even free flight over Dubai and Vegas !! Never happened before!) It is still a bit stuttering on Nellis with a lot of AI units, but better than before...

At least in SP, I have performance AND eye candy in VR!! Looks like they're on the good way with OB...

Thanks for the tip, sir!

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Hi Don,

I tried your settings and was very pleased to notice the same effect!! Well done sir ! I have almost everything maxed out, except visibility range at medium, MSAA x2, OTT SS 1.3, even bloom and global illumination enabled, Cockpit shadows on medium and terrain shadows on default as you suggested, I've got a pretty solid 40FPS with ASW on Rift S in every situation (even free flight over Dubai and Vegas !! Never happened before!) It is still a bit stuttering on Nellis with a lot of AI units, but better than before...

At least in SP, I have performance AND eye candy in VR!! Looks like they're on the good way with OB...

Thanks for the tip, sir!

:thumbup:

You are most welcome, have fun!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I discovered something kind of cool this afternoon.

I had been runnign for the longest with my terrain object shadows set on Flat Only.

I changed it to Default , and flew the Hornet Cold Start mission on the Roosevelt again.

My regular shadows I had had and still have on High.

So previously, at the start of that mission , with the two Hornets getting ready to take off when I enter my dark cockpit, fps on my Rift S would be below 40 fps, down to around 28-30. Once those guys got airborne i went back up to 40 fps whilst on the deck taxiing for takeoff.

Well after the change from flat only to default, my FPS on the deck at the start of the mission never dropped below 40 fps, and performance in the air seemed better, I would get to 80 fps quicker.

IIRC previously it was the opposite, default shadows were more demanding than flat only. That is certainly not the case now on my end.

Absolutely shocked!! I changed my shadows from flat to default and also got a decent improvement. How strange! Thanks for sharing!!!

Can someone test the launch with a F14 since the laste patch, because i can't launch, after the salute, men take the launch position, but i have no launch. i tested the same catapult with a F18 without problem.

I had this problem too. The salute has never worked for me. What I discovered is that there is a separate “launch catapult command (U, I believe). Mapped it to a button and all sorted out. Took me about an hour to figure that one out.

Can someone test the launch with a F14 since the laste patch, because i can't launch, after the salute, men take the launch position, but i have no launch. i tested the same catapult with a F18 without problem.

Worked for me off cat 2 right sheet trapping the Instant Action PG. I always Shift-U.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I had this problem too. The salute has never worked for me. What I discovered is that there is a separate “launch catapult command (U, I believe). Mapped it to a button and all sorted out. Took me about an hour to figure that one out.

Worked for me off cat 2 right sheet trapping the Instant Action PG. I always Shift-U.

Thanks, i used the menu and it didn't work (it worked until the last patch).

I'll try again with your information tonight.

How come direction to Cat is not showing in the meassgaes when you ask for Launch
I was also wondering that, as I saw it used on YT. But if I've read this forum correctly, they took out the feature. So the command is for getting the crew back to the cats if they're not already there.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

They were concerned it would just be ignored. I could realism folks wanting it. Perhaps should be configurable.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Me too. Always had to also shift-u to get the catapult to fire for the Tomcat. Hornet always triggers following the salute though.

Is there any plans to allow in mission editor where planes spawn at the current spawn points? If we had this capability it would allow us mission builders to have more control in how the AI won’t cause problems when taxiing on the deck. It seems even when spawning at the default position you still have problems. Currently, this makes the SC seem more intended for MP than SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Is there any plans to allow in mission editor where planes spawn at the current spawn points? If we had this capability it would allow us mission builders to have more control in how the AI won’t cause problems when taxiing on the deck. It seems even when spawning at the default position you still have problems. Currently, this makes the SC seem more intended for MP than SP.

This has been asked quite a few times in this forum.

There is guidance on page 78 of the manual.

In short, when you build a mission, you need to add aircraft to the carrier IN PARKING SPOT ORDER. Alternatively, you can set all the aircraft to LATE ACTIVATION and spawn them in by triggers one second apart in parking spot order.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Ah yeah running into this now. The AI Hornet strike package is getting stuck on taxi to the bow cats since they go too close to the alert 5 Tomcat placed after them (bow cats initially launching CAP and waist launching an s3 tanker and E3.

Assigned parking pulldown with "hangar" as overflow option would be my dream endgoal (combined with deck crew towing them and arm/de-arm animations)

Specs & Wishlist:

DCS Carrier Discussion

This has been asked quite a few times in this forum.

There is guidance on page 78 of the manual.

In short, when you build a mission, you need to add aircraft to the carrier IN PARKING SPOT ORDER. Alternatively, you can set all the aircraft to LATE ACTIVATION and spawn them in by triggers one second apart in parking spot order.

And I will keep asking it, because you didn’t answer the question.

I get what ED is asking me to do, but that still doesn’t work as effectively as a user being able to individually pick where whose vehicle spawns at a specific spawn point unless they intend to improve the AI taxi behavior. If the option was given, it would eliminate the need for us to use static objects to force spawn points closed. It isn’t logical to have this be the status quo in the current state unless they eliminate crash detection with statics. I don’t understand why everyone is okay with this.

We have numerous airfields with numerous spawn points that includes hangars, pads, and yes I know “a different animal”. But a carrier we have no spawn point selection. Again, makes no sense as to the reason.

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I get that you'd like to be able to pick the parking spot with a drop down menu like you can with an airfield ashore. It's a fair request, I think, and yes, I'd like that, too.

It's early access, though, and it's not what we have. Personally, I think what we have is a PITA, but it's what is right now.

I spent the first four days with the SC trying to identify how the AI behaves on the flight deck. How to put a specific plane in a specific spot, when it will taxi, and which catapult it will go to. It was a lot of frigging work.

One of the surprises (for me, anyway) was that no matter which deck spot I spawned the player jet, no "uncontrolled" AI plane would move until the player did, which was pretty handy for mission design.

After this latest update, "uncontrolled" AI planes taxi shortly after they've started, and the default taxi order is different. During one test run, my wingman taxied before I did...that's never happened before, on the boat or ashore.

So in addition to being able to more easily control where I put the aircraft, I'd like to have a way to designate the catapult they taxi to and the order in which they launch without having to run the mission fifteen times to make sure the launch sequence is going to work.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I get that you'd like to be able to pick the parking spot with a drop down menu like you can with an airfield ashore. It's a fair request, I think, and yes, I'd like that, too.

I read about a mod yesterday in the SC forum that might do exactly that :smilewink:

Have a look at this thread about half way down the first page:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=275082

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

I read about a mod yesterday in the SC forum that might do exactly that :smilewink:

Have a look at this thread about half way down the first page:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=275082

Actually, it’s not. That is just applying statics to the deck for looks. We are asking for the ability to choose what AI planes spawn where in missions which would reduce the need for such sorcery.

Actually, it’s not. That is just applying statics to the deck for looks. We are asking for the ability to choose what AI planes spawn where in missions which would reduce the need for such sorcery.

So the mod described at the beginning of the thread, "I've created a handful of templates for 4, 8 and 16 spawns" isn't it? Oh well :smilewink:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

DCS Carrier Discussion

So the mod described at the beginning of the thread, "I've created a handful of templates for 4, 8 and 16 spawns" isn't it? Oh well :smilewink:

No it’s not.

Templates are for static objects. The spawns signifies how many spawned vehicles that will be used in mission. Hence with 4, that gives more room for objects on the deck versus 16 not so much space available for static objects.

That still does not allow a mission designer to choose what vehicles spawn at what spawn point on the deck. (Come to think of it, it half way does. Using static objects does close spawn points. But it still doesn’t give the mission designer complete control in spawn point selection. Again, if we had this ability, we would not need to use static objects to control this logic which is like driving with one foot on the wheel.)

Edited by Eagle7907

That still does not allow a mission designer to choose what vehicles spawn at what spawn point on the deck. (Come to think of it, it half way does. Using static objects does close spawn points. But it still doesn’t give the mission designer complete control in spawn point selection. Again, if we had this ability, we would not need to use static objects to control this logic which is like driving with one foot on the wheel.)

This. Well said.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

Just need to place them in order of spawn, or delay the client/player spawns by a couple seconds. The sequence used to spawn is in the Supercarrier manual. 1-4 Six-pack, only on first spawn/mission start. Then the elevators, and so on. Set AI planes 1 to 4 to spawn normal. Player group or clients 3 to 5 seconds delayed and then more AI planes after another delay of 1 to 2 seconds until the deck is occupied. Spawn uncontrolled AI and use triggered action "Start" to have them spool up and launch at different times before or after player/client launches or deactivate them when more client "units are alive" to free up spawn slots for multiplayer on the fly...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

In programming, the logic in handling this type of activity can get really messy. I can understand why they did it this way. You still have control as to where you spawn. You just don't have an UI interface to select it.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals