What’s the hardest aircraft to air refuel in?

CBenson89

The A-10a. Reasons:

1. I don't now who was the smart ass that decided to place the fuel inlet in the nose of the aircraft. Once you are connected, you lost mostly all visual references, including the tanker lights.

2. Everytime you disconnect from the boom, you have to reopen the fuel inlet (first times it happens, I din't even know why the boom didn't connect again)

3. Once you are connected, the A-10 tends to lose altitude constantly (I don't know if the boom push down the nose or what). You have to re-trim very quick or you'll loose the contact quite fast.

The F-14b is a tough one too, but in the end I was able to refuel it completely during the last free period after a few hours of trying (4-5 disconnects, that's true). The principal problems for me were:

1. The F-14 doest not have the air speed shown in the HUD. The approach is difficult when you can't calculate your speed relative to the tanker's. And the same applies when you try to maintain tankers speed.

2. And, I don't know why, but when I pulled up the stick a little bit, the aircraft jumped upwards violently (even with curves set). So each attempt to refuel I had to start higher and constanly push the stick down.

The A-10a. Reasons:

1. I don't now who was the smart ass that decided to place the fuel inlet in the nose of the aircraft. Once you are connected, you lost mostly all visual references, including the tanker lights.

2. Everytime you disconnect from the boom, you have to reopen the fuel inlet (first times it happens, I din't even know why the boom didn't connect again)

3. Once you are connected, the A-10 tends to lose altitude constantly (I don't know if the boom push down the nose or what). You have to re-trim very quick or you'll loose the contact quite fast.

They likely put that there because that was the only place they had room for it. Don't think they could have put the receptacle on the wing. Midway back on the spine (like the F-16) would have been nice. Really stinks that you can't use the lights because the boom is in the way.

One thing on the early disconnects. You don't have to open/close the slipway door to reset the AAR system, though that is one way to do it. If you disconnect early, just press the NWS button on your stick, that also resets the system so you can reconnect. That will give you the READY light again on the refuel status lights.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

They likely put that there because that was the only place they had room for it. Don't think they could have put the receptacle on the wing. Midway back on the spine (like the F-16) would have been nice. Really stinks that you can't use the lights because the boom is in the way.

One thing on the early disconnects. You don't have to open/close the slipway door to reset the AAR system, though that is one way to do it. If you disconnect early, just press the NWS button on your stick, that also resets the system so you can reconnect. That will give you the READY light again on the refuel status lights.

I din't know that other option. Does even exists the NWS for the A-10a? O_O

For me A10c

Edited by tees

303 & Friends discord

Hangar :

JF-17 Thunder, F-16C Viper, I-16, Christen Eagle II, F-14 Tomcat, Supercarrier, WWII Assets Pack, F/A-18C Hornet, AJS-37 Viggen, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E Tiger II, M-2000C, MiG-15bis, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst, Fw 190 D-9 Dora, F-86F Sabre, Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D Mustang, A-10C Warthog,SA342 Gazelle, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Black Shark II, Persian Gulf Map, Normandy 1944 Map,

The UH-1 H is by far the most difficult to mid air refuel...????

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 1 month later...
Wow :thumbup: Good job. Im still struggling to get AAR down right.

Ive been play DCS for years and Ive ran out of patience.

:thumbup:

I literally have given up on ever getting AAR done in any acceptable way. Tried hundreds of times with many modules, and I just end up almost punching a hole in my monitor!!!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I literally have given up on ever getting AAR done in any acceptable way. Tried hundreds of times with many modules, and I just end up almost punching a hole in my monitor!!!

Maybe this will help you, or maybe not but, messing around with the tanker the way I do in the video should give you the muscle memory needed to try the AAR.

Do not expect to do it in one day but, if you play like this for some days and in the end you are able to do this, a F-18 or a F-16 AAR is a piece of cake.

And I ensure you that, when you are just messing around like this trying to push you further and further instead of focusing in the damn basket or boom, you will have more fun.

Of course, I'm assuming you have a decent joystick and throttle... otherwise it will be very harder to do.

The hardest one is the one I'm flying on a bad day. When the Viper came out, one of the first things I did was to go for an AAR. And I connected and filled up on my first try. Super pleased with myself. A couple of months later (I don't fly the Viper much), I tried again I couldn't stay connected for more than a few seconds at a time.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I appreciate your help, but, over the years, I have looked at every YT video out there on this topic.

I'm OK and confident getting into position, it's just when trying to 'mate' with the basket that my fist gets twichy and the monitor looks worried when I fail yet again!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you look back a week or two, you'll find a post from me saying exactly the same thing - I was about to give up. I was amzed at the helpful encouragement so I resolved to stop, take stock, and work out what the hell I was doing wrong. Within a day I'd cracked it - sussed why I couldn't make progress. So here is my encouragement and tips:

Get into position from behind and below the tanker until you get "Clear Contact". Without this call, you'll never make the connection. If you approach badly, you'll have to get very close to the tanker to get the call. Make sure your flaps are set to Auto or they will extend automatically! Get perfectly trimmed - use the FPV as a reference.

Right. Vital Step. Establish your reference speed - the speed that keeps you precisely at the same speed at the tanker. Now ... YOU MUST DROP BACK a bit. DON'T stay close to the basket.

Now. Stay back and get stable. Next give your thrust levers a firm but subtle nudge and get to your reference speed + 2 knots. No more no less. KEEP it at that speed and fly the probe into the basket. (The moment you make connection you need to get back to reference speed. To drop back, use your reference speed - 2 knots - but just connect to start with - holding station you can practice)

My mistake (and I suspect many others)? I used to fly up verrry gently towards the probe and get verrry close to it trying to get in the right position before gently nudging forward to make the connection. NO. Drop back. Get aligned and steady. Give yourself the 2 knot closure speed and fly the thing in .... otherwise you just nearly get to the basket, wobbling about until you miss, overcontrol and mess up (I was doing this for weeks).

I'm going to do a short video explaining as I think it may help. Now I can connect more or less anywhere - turns too - but more importantly I can connect which means I can practice holding station.

Hope this helps. Overnight I went from giving up to connecting. Give it a go! :)

I appreciate your help, but, over the years, I have looked at every YT video out there on this topic.

I'm OK and confident getting into position, it's just when trying to 'mate' with the basket that my fist gets twichy and the monitor looks worried when I fail yet again!

I had the same issues with the warthog stick. Ditched it for the VKB gunfighter 3 and MCG grip. Problem solved. The VKB is far more precise. I do not have to use curves or deadzones at all for the F14 and F18. I did use negative curves for the F16 to get faster response since the default curves make the plane feel like a slug.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I had the same issues with the warthog stick. Ditched it for the VKB gunfighter 3 and MCG grip. Problem solved. The VKB is far more precise. I do not have to use curves or deadzones at all for the F14 and F18. I did use negative curves for the F16 to get faster response since the default curves make the plane feel like a slug.

Thanks. I'm using Virpil bases, so senstivity isn't an issue for me. I wish I could put it down to that!

Thanks. I'm using Virpil bases, so senstivity isn't an issue for me. I wish I could put it down to that!

And you think you've got problems :cry:

IMG_20200608_212142.thumb.jpg.09ff321f8c074b249244677ca7e04fd1.jpg

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Then it is mental. Unless your virpil base is out of calibration. Also the Virpil grips are a lot lighter than the TM ones so if you use a heavy grip like the warthog or F18 then you may need a lot more spring tension kind of like using and extension. It throws off the feel and precision most likely. I know when I got the VKB it had the light springs and no dampening set from factory. I tried it out and it was far too sensitive and floppy. I went to the 2nd to heaviest spring and increased the dampening and that did it for me. It felt super accurate but not jumpy or twitchy. I can give very light pressure and the plane will move but it wont be exaggerated at all. It just moves the right amount. I spent a few hours getting it all setup for my needs.

I assume you are looking at the refueling pod on the wing and not the basket correct? If you want to link up in a server I can try to help out. Relaxing your grip is the hardest and biggest part I feel. Death grips will make you mess up. I had the same issues learning to race. Grabbing the wheel tight will cause over correction as well as delayed reaction and losing feel of what the car is telling you.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

AV-8B/NA. Inflight refueling in AV-8B is the most difficult task to learn and do in DCS. If you get that down, you are DCS Nirvana pilot.

F-14 is more diffucult at least for me. In VR, AV-8B is relatively easy

Understand your frustration - once you "connect" it seems that the controls become super sensitive and you are all over the place.

If you have the $$, then getting a VR headset is highly recommended. I went from years of only being able to connect for a few seconds to being able to sit there comfortably while I fuel up almost from empty to being completely full with 3 external tanks in one go. VR gives you the sensation of speed and space that a 2D monitor can never do.

Understand your frustration - once you "connect" it seems that the controls become super sensitive and you are all over the place.

If you have the $$, then getting a VR headset is highly recommended. I went from years of only being able to connect for a few seconds to being able to sit there comfortably while I fuel up almost from empty to being completely full with 3 external tanks in one go. VR gives you the sensation of speed and space that a 2D monitor can never do.

As you can see in my sig, I use a Reverb and yes, it does help compared to monitor.

My most recent attempts have been in the Mirage. AAR is the only thing I’ve not been able to succeed in so far after 10 missions. It’s spoiled my 100% score!

Then it is mental. Unless your virpil base is out of calibration. Also the Virpil grips are a lot lighter than the TM ones so if you use a heavy grip like the warthog or F18 then you may need a lot more spring tension kind of like using and extension. It throws off the feel and precision most likely. I know when I got the VKB it had the light springs and no dampening set from factory. I tried it out and it was far too sensitive and floppy. I went to the 2nd to heaviest spring and increased the dampening and that did it for me. It felt super accurate but not jumpy or twitchy. I can give very light pressure and the plane will move but it wont be exaggerated at all. It just moves the right amount. I spent a few hours getting it all setup for my needs.

I assume you are looking at the refueling pod on the wing and not the basket correct? If you want to link up in a server I can try to help out. Relaxing your grip is the hardest and biggest part I feel. Death grips will make you mess up. I had the same issues learning to race. Grabbing the wheel tight will cause over correction as well as delayed reaction and losing feel of what the car is telling you.

Thanks for the offer! I might try the heavier springs, but changing them in the WarBRD base is a complete PITA!

I followed 104th Mavericks excellent "DCS Fuel School tutorial"

But was having real trouble with control behind the tanker in the FA18, to the point of giving up after about 10 hours across a few days. Until today, I realised that I had "wake turbulence" enabled in options, and none of the vids I'd seen seemed to have this same effect. Once that was disabled I managed 3 minutes straight with no disconnect (25% fuel and 2 external tanks). Would be nice to get it down with WT enabled too, as it's a nice effect (in dogfights for example).

What is the general consensus do most people AAR with/without WT?

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero