OEM vs Standard cpu Savings?

CP65KIN_193912_105x105.jpg

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM

Star Rating

CM8068403873914, Hyper-Threading Technology, 3.60GHz Clock Speed, 5.0GHz Single Core Max Turbo, 16mb Cache, 95W TDP, Dual Channel DDR4 Controller,...

Was: £499.99 £479.99*

CP65JIN_193693_105x105.jpg

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

Star Rating

BX80684I99900K, Hyper-Threading Technology, 3.60GHz Clock Speed, 5.0GHz Single Core Max Turbo, 16mb Cache, 95W TDP, Dual Channel DDR4 Controller, 3...

£548.99*

So, looking at making my first pc build mainly for dcs and tried checking the difference in OEM and standard options, mostly what i read was warranty and packaging was the main ones but usually only a small difference in price, this however is a big difference of nearly 70 pounds!? Is it worth going OEM ?

cheers guys.

I think OEM does NOT have a fan, heatsink. if you are getting an aftermarket you are golden..

Plus maybe warranty is different with OEM I would look into that..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

ok so if i was already buying a water or air cooler it would be fine? i thought only ryzen cpus came bundled with a fan ... heatsink i'm not sure what that is on the cpu..

Digging into reviews the i5 9600k and i7 9700k both are reccomended over the i9 ... and much cheaper .. fps and clock speed OC'd seem the same !?

Edited by Iad6012

ok so if i was already buying a water or air cooler it would be fine?

A. Yes

i thought only ryzen cpus came bundled with a fan ... heatsink i'm not sure what that is on the cpu..

that is the big chunk of metal under the fan that contacts to the CPU

Digging into reviews the i5 9600k and i7 9700k both are reccomended over the i9 ... and much cheaper .. fps and clock speed OC'd seem the same !?

Yes Most times HT gets disabled for performance reasons not sure about in DCS.. you could get the 9700k it would be cheaper..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I think even BOX Intels don't have any factory cooler added nowadays? Makes you wonder what that extra 70 bucks is for.

Ditto about i7 vs i9. Unless you really, really, really need HyperThreading in one of the programs / games you plan to run on that new config, 9700 will offer the same performance for noticeably lower price (being, in practical terms, the same CPU just without HT).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yeah originally i was looking at the i5 9600k but would run into bottlenecking with the gpu ... either a 2070s or 2080s... (just seen the 2080 standard is CHEAPER than a 2070 super ?)

these are current prices i5 £215 - i7 £360 - i9 £490

Edited by Iad6012

Another reason you can see price differentials like this is some binning done by Intel prior to them selling the CPUs to OEMs to verify their CPUs would OC the best.

Just like BP says I'd wait a bit since not only is 10th gen Intel coming out but this year we are also scheduled for some more Ryzen. Even if AMD isn't your choice it still controls pricing thus better for consumers.

Another reason you can see price differentials like this is some binning done by Intel prior to them selling the CPUs to OEMs to verify their CPUs would OC the best.

Just like BP says I'd wait a bit since not only is 10th gen Intel coming out but this year we are also scheduled for some more Ryzen. Even if AMD isn't your choice it still controls pricing thus better for consumers.

Well waiting is great but if we dont know officially when the new Intel CPU's are coming makes it hard to wait..

I know Some 10th gen have been released 2 desktop models an extreme versions I think and laptop models.. It may not be long but is there an offical release date on intel 10th gen?

I pulled the trigger on a 9th-gen build due to heat issues re: 10th gen . Adding more cores is valueless to DCS , and 5.3 gig with more cores on the same 14nm process will make a better egg-fryer than a DCS cpu . This gen is more about milking the last 1% of old technology rather than innovation . Only time will tell if i made the right decision....

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Its not really milking its just that intel cant do any better at this time. 10nm was a failure and the 10nm that we are getting from intel is not the same anymore. Dcs indeed doesnt use many cores but extra cores are always nice to have. But its true this 10th gen is 9th gen with another core or two. I wonder is the IPC exactly the same or is there atleast a minor increase, cus at this rate intel will lose its only advantage which is single threaded performance. Since 3rd gen zen is leaked to have an UPTO 15% increase in IPC. Single threaded perf is very important to me but i cant pay 75% more money for 10% or so perf in single thread. Thats comparing the r5 3600 that i have and a i7 8700k.

OEM means you have to claim any damage vs the OEM and not Intel. You also cannot ( afaik ) buy the CPU Protection/Exchange Warranty from Intel that they offer for overclockers.

I'd stay away from OEM, they are in a tray and the guy at that desk can keep the fast ones and sell the slow ones on eBay etc.. Like a homemade binning.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Rtx 2070 super? Are you really willing to buy a card that is on average only 4% faster than the rx 5700xt which costs only 400$? Seems kinda wild to me xD. But maybe u need ray tracing or something xD.

Edit: source is hardware unboxed on youtube. Actually 2070 super was only 2% faster than the 5700xt, but when u remove forza horizon which performs really wel on amd cards then it becomes 4%. I believe 4% is more accurate than 2% so i said 4%. Btw i have a 5700xt but im not being biased here. Its straight up facts.

Edited by BranchPrediction