DCS single/dual/muliti CPU threaded?

imacken

Everything I have ever read on here about DCS suggested that it uses only 2 CPU threads (including one for audio).

Now, my observations when in VR do not match that. In VR, looking at all thread activity - in both fpsVR and Task Manager - sugggests that all threads are very active. In addition, it is not other apps using the resources, as whenever I quit DCS, the activity goes down to almost zero on most threads. I know the VR compositor etc. take up resources, but all threads?

Anyone shed some light on these observations?

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Like you say it's a single thread for the game and one for audio. But windows doesn't keep the thread on the same core, it switches the thread over all the available cores. This is done much faster then you can observe so for you it looks like all cores are evenly loaded. But it's still only one single game thread instead of multiple parallel threads.

Interesting. Has something changed somewhere in the last few months? I'm sure when I made these observations before, one of my logical processors - usually 11 - was almost constantly at 100% when running DCS and the others were mostly unused. Now seens pretty balanced between them all.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Ah OK. Thanks for that. Probably explains it then.

2 cores.

Old engine

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext

2 cores.

Old engine

Thanks, but if you read the previous posts, that doesn't answer the question. What you are showing is the way it used to be for me. Things have changed, probably due to a Windows change as suggested above.

Thanks, but if you read the previous posts, that doesn't answer the question. What you are showing is the way it used to be for me. Things have changed, probably due to a Windows change as suggested above.

Well I ran a few experiments and it seems the PC Utilizes the cores a little more evenly.. I currently was testing DCS and looking at the graph andd it seemed equal among all 4 cores..

But the utilization was high. I seen a thread talking about Process Hacker 2 and I ended up running Process Lasso and put the DCS.exe on 3 cores and ALL other processes on 1 core..

Now while with all processes on 1 core I had some spikes which DCS took a while to load but once I got in the Sim it seemed to run pretty smooth..

Now I was thinking If I ran more cores like the AMD 3900X and ran all the other proccesses on more then 1 core and DCS.exe spread out on 4-6 cores it would proablly be optimal, and IF I ran Process hacker which goes to the threads you can assign cores thread by thread..

So Combining Process Lass and Process Hacker 2 on a 12 core CPU would run pretty ssmooth as DCS would be free and clear on 4 cores and Only DCS running on them..

I was trying to find some info about reliability of the AMD's and issues they may be having.. So I just been reading reviews but I was reading some on newegg when it was not for the CPU I had listed which sucks..

I checked Ovefclocker.com and they had some info I was reading they seem to be decent CPU's just wondering when under pressure and OC how they work and if they will last longer then a week??

I know DCS is not truly multicore for more then 2 threads but you can spread the work over a few cores to minimise issues of overworking a core..

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=268432

the link is there to see my graph so you can see for yourself..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I think it's best to let the operating system be in charge of the core scheduling. Windows seem to have improved with the new higher core AMD CPU's being available. Locking manually several cores to just the DCS thread is not necessarily best for performance. Their are other high priority threads from the operating system and video drivers etc that are equally important for game performance. Core scheduling is therefor a dynamic process, and should not be manually assigned. Until DCS is starting to take advantage of the available cores with multiple treads, this is about as good as it gets. Many people on here are hoping Vulkan will make a big difference and that Vulkan will make DCS "multi-core". This is not the case, Vulkan is just a more efficient graphics API where the game can access the graphics card more directly instead of via the OpenGL or DirectX API. This would allow the game to have more control of the graphics process, but only if the game engine is setup for this. There is a video explaining how another flight sim is taking advantage of Vulkan by intelligently pre-loading renders directly into VRAM via a separate thread. Just changing from DirectX to Vulkan API alone is not going to gain that much i think, but we'll have to see how DCS will take advantage of this.