Best rig for £2000-2500? (real pilot needs help please!)

Hey folks,

I'm new to writing on the forum even though I've essentially been following all DCS developments since it's creation. I grew up messing around in flight sims and spent countless hours/days/weeks in the original Flaming Cliffs. I'm now a real world 737 pilot but given as there's not much real flying happening atm I thought it might be a good opportunity to finally try the latest DCS has to offer. I have absolutely no idea about the latest and greatest tech and quite frankly it all sounds like black magic to me so hopefully some of you can help me out!

I don't really have a set budget for the rig but I would ideally not like to spend more than £2k. If I have to go over it's not a big deal. This is just for the PC itself (not including monitor/ stick etc etc). I'm basically looking for something that can provide me with a silky smooth experience on high fidelity settings without having to spend much time optimizing things or having to figure out how to overclock the system and monitor temps ect (I find all this geeky computer stuff a bit overwhelming). I'm using a HP Z38C 4k monitor if it makes any difference.

If you could maybe suggest the most important components to go for - processor/GPU/cooler/ RAM/ SSD/ power supply and I'll try to build something on pcbuilder.

The plan is to use trackir for now but if I could do VR in future using this rig that would be good!

Many thanks!

Timur

The fastest is easy to determine if you can spend the money and want it now.

GPU: Nvidia 2080ti

RAM: 32GB DDR4-3600MHz CL16

Drives: 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus or Pro ( maybe 2 of those )

PowerSupply: Seasonic 850w-1kW Focus Plus Platinum or Titanium

The CPU has choices, there is the fastest in single clock, which is the 9900k but you will have to overclock it by hand to get the benefits, or, if you like to stay stock, get an AMD Ryzen 3900X or even 3950X 12 or 16 core CPU. They are a little bit slower but offer the best performance out of the box if you dont want to overclock. They overclock out of the box if you provide proper cooling. The difference between Intel and AMD is not big and the real limiter is usually the GPU.

I would pick the 3900X or even the 3950X if you have the money. AMD has the newer chipset and platform but that only matters if you buy other than above mentioned NVMe drives which are Generation-3, you would need Gen4 to make use of the new tech so to speak. The difference in gaming is null, that much up front. If you do video editing or audio processing that may show benefits, small ones. I would rather get Samsung Gen3 than any other SSD from another vendor Gen4 lineup, that's personal experience.

The motherboard willhave to fit the CPU, either Intel or AMD socket. The good ones start north of 250$, rather 3-400$ if you want good RAM support and VRM ( Voltage regulation ) components. Usually the sound chip is also better on those >300$ ( Sabre chips usually ).

I would choose Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570 if you choose AMD as your CPU. For Intel, I am not sure which one, maybe also Gigabyte or Asus.

For cooling, either get a "GOOD" air cooler from Noctua or same performance or better, get an AIO watercooler right away, 2x140mm size is a proper size.

The biggest noise will be your GPU fans, if you like quiet PC's you can go with a DIY waterloop and also cool the GPU with water, which makes sense but may be too much if you do not know about it. Maybe a PC Shop locally can guide you there, it is worth the effort but may cost an additionel ~500$ for a DIY Loop with CPU and GPU and Radiator+Pump+Reservoir+small_parts.

Think I tilted you enough already ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You really need only 250/256GB SSD version for DCS to run and still have space leftover. If you have nothing else but a few programs here and there no need for a bigger SSD.

Only if you're the guy saving a lot of photos, videos or installs quite a few games you need more than 250/256GB for SSD.

You really need only 250/256GB SSD version for DCS to run and still have space leftover. If you have nothing else but a few programs here and there no need for a bigger SSD.

Only if you're the guy saving a lot of photos, videos or installs quite a few games you need more than 250/256GB for SSD.

Sure, but then he needs at least 2 drives, one for the OS and one for DCS. To somehow make it easier I suggested 1x 1TB that will leave enough free space for unforeseen things ;)

But tbh, I run a 250GB OS NVMe and it gets filled pretty quick, I wish it was a 512GB disk and 250GB for DCS will be tight too if you install all modules and maps, current and future ones, so a 512GB for OS and also DCS is worth suggesting. Depending on how much care you take cleaning out your drive every now and then.

Anyway, 2x 256GB will suffice if you take care and dont install all modules and maps soon to be available imho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You can also have a look at pre built systems and then review each part online if you are going to build one.

Example https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/category/gaming-pcs/

You could look into getting your local pc shop to get the parts and build it. Should only cost a few hundred £ for them to build.

Come up with a bit of a list and post them here. The system BitMaster posted will run VR. Your going to need a good system (I.E. 2080 super minimum) to run that screen at a good steady 60 frames per second (FPS).

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Which website do you recommend for building your own PC in the UK?

My own favourite is Overclockers UK.

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Welcome to forum. If your looking and interested in a prebuilt rig may I suggest Alienware R9. I know there’s a lot of pros and cons about it but I just got mine like 2 weeks ago and already have spent close to $200 plus on mods and all the terrains that DCS has to offer at this time. As I’m new to the gaming/sim world I really and honestly don’t know as of today what is good and what is not, all I can say is that this R9 runs great, smooth and silky as you said. Also in the Alienware Command Center it looks pretty easy and has presets to slightly over click which I will not attempt right now just because I really don’t know to much about it. I’m in the process this weekend of getting the MSI afterburner to work also with the machine. Any I’m not a pc builder type of guy but the more I spend time in here I will have another rig very soon that will be built by all the information I gather here. I’ve done a hell of a lot of research on getting a system for DCS and I can tell you there’s a sht load of options and advice out there. But when you do finally get a rig and get DCS loaded and running, it’s worth every penny. I got the R9 with i7-9700K -single drive M.2 NVMe 2TB with rtx 2080 super and 32 gb xfury ram and I all can help you with is it runs and flys awesome. I did tweak alittle bit but not much. Just make the right choice because I now wish I should of went with the 2080ti. I hope this helps alittle. Take cake all.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020