RAZBAAM AV-8B Harrier Community Thoughts Poll

frixon28

1A, for me the Harrier is one of the most fascinating aircraft.

2B, based on the speed of progress with the Mirage a fully expect the Av-8 within the next year. I wouldn't be too much surprised to see an early access release around Christmas, but currently don't consider it likely.

3B, I like to have Turboprops and trainers in FSX, where they are great for VFR cross country flights, but in a combat sim I prefer heavier planes. This might change once we have much more maps available.

4A, Hornets can't land vertically and as an attack aircraft it will perfectly into current DCS.

5A

QUESTION 1, Would you buy an AV-8B Harrier Module

A = Yes, dear God yes

B = No

C = Depends how good the F/A-18C is

QUESTION 2, How long do you honestly believe before the Harrier will be introduced?(No disrespects to RAZBAAM you guys are great!)

A = By the end of 2016

B = 12 Months

C = 18 Months

QUESTION 3, Are you more excited for the AT-27 Tucano that is supposed to be released by the end of this year, or waiting some more time for the AV-8B?

A = AT-27

B = AV-8B

C = Who said the AT-27 would be released soon!

Question 4, Do you see the AV-8B having a place in DCS World?

A = Yes, it will add some very interesting gameplay features to DCS, fighters from FARPS? Yes please

B = It is a niche aircraft in real life and will be in DCS

C = It is unique but it does nothing the FA-18C won't do, in fact it won't do anything nearly as good as the F/A-18C

Question 5, Do you really hope RAZBAAM will soon turn a large amount of its research and development into the highly complex AV-8B?

A = Yes, RAZBAAM needs to finish up the AT-27 and start full work on the AV-8B ASAP!

B = No, the AV-8B is still highly classified (as are all the 4th gen fighters) and will take a very long time to make, don't get your hopes up for it!

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"

Q1: Yes, of course. a faster A-10 with the ability to T/O and land vertically.

Q2: Time will tell, no hurry

Q3: Double Question. A) I'm not excited about the Tucano. To much trainer for DCS and I prefer the L-39. B) AV-8B

Q4: Yes, it will add some very interesting gameplay features to DCS, such as operations from FOB

Q5: Research and Development should be on the Mirage at the moment. After that, why not

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A = Yes

B = No

QUESTION 2, How long do you honestly believe before the Harrier will be introduced?(No disrespects to RAZBAAM you guys are great!)

A = By the end of 2016

B = 12 Months

C = 18 Months +

QUESTION 3, Are you more excited for the AT-27 Tucano that is supposed to be released by the end of this year, or waiting some more time for the AV-8B?

A = AT-27

B = AV-8B

D = I expect them both to be worked on in parallel and the time taken to make them as good as they can be.

A = Yes, it will add some very interesting gameplay features to DCS

C = It is unique but it does nothing the FA-18C won't do, in fact it won't do anything nearly as good as the F/A-18C

D = The AV-8 fits perfectly with the current CAS centric gameplay of DCS.

Question 5, Do you really hope RAZBAAM will soon turn a large amount of its research and development into the highly complex AV-8B?

A = Yes, RAZBAAM needs to finish up the AT-27 and start full work on the AV-8B ASAP!

B = No, the AV-8B is still highly classified (as are all the 4th gen fighters) and will take a very long time to make, don't get your hopes up for it!

C = They are already well into development of the AV-8 and I am looking forward to RAZBAM cranking up their development the A-7E, A-6E and Jaguar GR1.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

1. A

2. C

3. B

4. A

5. A.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

A = Yes

B = No

A = By the end of 2016

B = 12 Months

C = 18 Months

A = AT-27

B = AV-8B

We have Helos and fixed wings in DCS, things like Vtol/Svtol Harries,Ospreys and Zeppelins ;) etc.. are totally welcome, they will only make DCS broader in choice and IMO better and more fun:)

A = Yes without any doubt

B = No

A = By the end of 2016

B = 12 Months

C = 18 Months

A = AT-27

B = AV-8B

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I'll never buy a trainer. I can't see justification of time/money spent on simulating a trainer. Training planes are used so you can break them instead of the expensive frontline stuff. This is a sim so you can learn on the front line stuff at no consequence. Wasteful, if you ask me. Anyone that chooses to make a module in DCS should ask themselves some basic questions to get started, like;

Pick a time period, what combat mission hasn't been represented?

What's the best/most used AC that filled this combat mission?

What countries' are missing an AC that fits these combat missions?

My view of DCS trainers are like the community views on the fantasy German AC that IL-2 1946 released.

All that time could have been put into making some of the existing AC have clickable cockpits, or other maps, or adding workload capacity to other projects. It just doesn't add up to me. I must be missing some data.

I'll never buy a trainer. I can't see justification of time/money spent on simulating a trainer. Training planes are used so you can break them instead of the expensive frontline stuff. This is a sim so you can learn on the front line stuff at no consequence. Wasteful, if you ask me. Anyone that chooses to make a module in DCS should ask themselves some basic questions to get started, like;

My view of DCS trainers are like the community views on the fantasy German AC that IL-2 1946 released.

All that time could have been put into making some of the existing AC have clickable cockpits, or other maps, or adding workload capacity to other projects. It just doesn't add up to me. I must be missing some data.

The Tucano isn't just a trainer though... and I believe Razbam has also stated that they may bring in the Super Tucano as well. Which is designed COIN operations, and has been stated many times to be a better alternative for it than the A-10 is. Since the A-10 is fairly overkill and expensive for coin.

The current aircraft without clickable cockpits aren't going to be getting them, especially not from Razbam. Belsimtek are the only ones that might bring us a clickable F-15C but that was mentioned 2 years ago by them. Razbam also aren't working on any maps that I'm aware of.

Razbam have found that they have the resources to bring us another unique aircraft that hasn't been done in DCS before (a turbo prop), that also happens to double as a trainer, and decided that it would be a great idea to bring it to us. I'm excited for it, a turbo prop will be awesome and a small COIN aircraft will be cool too. Giving them shit for building something they actually have access to instead of something you think they should do won't encourage them to build what you want. The data you're likely missing is, you're kind of a dick. You're not only one playing the game and the devs aren't going to cater their lineup to you specifically.

Edited by BobFlex

A = Yes

C = 18 Months

A = AT-27

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

A = Yes

C = 18 Months

A = AT-27

Exactly my thoughts :smilewink::smilewink:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Question 1 - Yes. I buy every module that's released as I am happy to support the sim in any way that I can. The Harrier won't bring much to the table that other birds can't already do better, especially with the Hornet on the horizon, but I would have a blast just playing with VTOL if nothing else.

Question 2 - Honestly none of the above. I hope (as I do with all modules) that it will be released when it's a proper representation of the real life aircraft. Whether that means next week, or 5 years from now. Better for it to be right than for it to simply exist.

Question 3 - The Harrier. Just personally not as into prop aircraft that much. Cool bird, but if I had enough money to buy just one and both were available, I'd buy the Harrier.

Question 4 - It's a niche aircraft. I can see it being fun to play with for the novelty of what it is, but again, other birds are now in game that can do it's job better, and with the Hornet and ground attack variant of the Viggen coming soon - two more that can outdo it. Definitely can see the Harrier being used in single player and MP just for the novelty though. I can imagine people will be trying to land it in all sorts of places.

Question 5 - I hope they are just focused on whatever is likely to benefit them and the community most at this time. I am sure they have feelers out and know what is wished for more, and what will benefit them more. As well as what they have the best sources/information for. Sort of like question 2, I prefer aircraft are done right, rather than fast or pushed ahead of others for the sake of rolling something out.

Honestly some people really enjoy them. I own them all. The only one I fly regularly is the L-39C and L-39ZA, and both are an absolute blast. Doing aerobatics in the 39 is quite a lot of fun. More so than almost all the other planes. It's a different challenge. In some ways it's a lot harder and for some people that's far more fun. Using them in combat is also a fun challenge. It can get boring being basically a "god of the sky". Putting oneself at a marked disadvantage can make something that's become a bit dull a lot more exciting and enjoyable.

And believe it or not, some people actually do use the trainers as trainers. For a person relatively new to flight simming or just new to combat sims something like the L-39 is a benefit. You get to crawl before you walk so to speak. I have talked to more than a few people who said learning how to properly fly it and go through procedures with it made learning the frontline aircraft like the Frogfoot, the A-10C and so on a lot easier. There are some people who are not as familiar with combat aircraft in sims as we are. They don't know what to look for, they don't know the gist of things and it can be overwhelming. They'll never be the top sellers, but there is a market for them and they do make plenty of money.

Edit: And that's absolutely not the purpose of trainers at all. If you break them, you won't be moving forward to the bigger leagues. They're there to teach you simple procedures, to introduce you to a given concept. Ranging from the basics of flight to the principles and entry of combat aviation. They're designed as a stepping stone and intermediate between book and coursework to taking the stick of an extremely advanced and complex implement of war. There is a purpose for them in DCS. I don't know that we need 8 dozen of them (which is likely why RAZBAAM themselves halted development on their T-2 trainer), but the handful that exist are justified.

Edited by OneBlueSky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A = Yes

B = No

A = By the end of 2016

B = 12 Months

C = 18 Months

A = AT-27

B = AV-8B

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

I've been reading this thread for a few days, but I don't get it. What's the point of the questions?

Aside from the fact it's non-official, "getting more people interested" doesn't relate to asking questions on this forum as we're a subset of DCS users who will already be aware of it. And whose general info is this for?

As for the questions:

Q1 and Q3 are basically the same question

Q2 is just utterly pointless. It'll be out when it's out, same as any DCS module. Guesses on times are only useful when we get the inevitable start up and first look videos by Wags.

Q5 isn't a good question, not only because Razbam are making PFM/ASM modules, and the answers A and B, B especially, don't actually match the question, but because it's implying research can only be on one aircraft at a time.

Q4 is about the only one that's relevant, and doesn't really need asking because it'll be the first VTOL airplane in DCS and fits in with the rough 90's time zone that the current crop of units is based on, but every aircraft has a "place" in DCS as it's a sandbox and up to the mission designers what they want to do with it.

Edited by Buzzles

A = Yes

B = No

A = By the end of 2016

B = 12 Months

C = 18 Months

A = AT-27

B = AV-8B

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10

Q1 A

Q2 C

Q3 B

Q4 A

Q5 A

There is only 1 module I think I want more than the Harrier ATM and that's the Spitfire IX.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

A = Yes

B = xx

C = xx

A = By the end of 2016

B = xx

C = xx

A = xx

B = AV-8B

C = xx

C = xx

B = xx

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A = Yes

B = x

C = x

A = x

B = 12 Months

C = x

A = x

B = AV-8B

C = x

B = x

C = x

A = x

B = x

C(my own) = I believe DCS as a combat simulator needs more modules with capability of conducting combat operations. We already have bunch of trainers/aerobatic planes, but a number of jet fighters/bombers we can count on the fingers of one hand. That is why, for me, it could be put on hold and potentially work can be continue after some time.

A = Yes - after the quality of the Mirage, I have faith in RAZBAM delivering something great.

B = 12 Months - Honestly, I would rather have something great released later than something not-so-great released earlier.

B = AV-8B - I might buy the Tucano, but it won't be a preorder. I don't see it being anywhere near as fun as a Harrier, but if it's a quality module it'll end up in my collection eventually.

A = Yes, it will add some very interesting gameplay features to DCS - It's going to fit in very well I think. It might not be the best at any one role, but it's very versatile.

RAZBAM have a guaranteed preorder from me with any fast jet they make, after the quality of the Mirage. I just hope that the Harrier is as good.

A = Yes. I've been around AV-8Bs and am looking forward to another high-fidelity, dedicated attack aircraft.

B = 12 Months. I wouldn't want to see anything rushed to finish by the end of the year. I'm patient and have a lot to learn with the current fleet I own.

A = AT-27. This is purely due to the fact that it will come out soon. I am very interested in a light attack, modern propeller aircraft in DCS. If it wasn't being made by RAZBAM, I probably wouldn't buy it but I'm all in with their M2K and outstanding customer relations.

B = It is a niche aircraft in real life and will be in DCS. I guess both of these answers fit my response. I think launching attack sorties off of LHD/LHA ships will be something different than doing the same thing with Hornets off of full size carriers. Both will have their place in the game and I'll definitely enjoy either approach.

A = Yes, RAZBAAM needs to finish up the AT-27 and start full work on the AV-8B ASAP! This is purely for the instant gratification in me. However, I would like to see each module released get the majority of their attention until it's in a releasable state.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

A = Yes

QUESTION 2, How long do you honestly believe before the Harrier will be introduced?

B = 12 Months

A = Yes, it will add some very interesting gameplay features to DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]