A few questions from an old virtual pilot, new to DCS

Furt

Greetings!

First of all I apologize if I post this on the wrong thread, since I’m myself in doubt, which is the right one.

Anyway, long story short – quite a few years ago, when IL-2 was “the thing”, I started “flying” online and spent a lot of wonderful years within the community. Sadly, as things do happen, life got in the way and I had to leave.

But a couple of months ago I started feeling the return of that strange itch that can only be scratched away by going online and bombing something :pilotfly:

Since I have time once again, took some advice and decided to try out DCS. I downloaded 2.5 and installed everything, fiddled a bit with the settings. In the end I have to say DCS is an extremely formidable sim! But a few questions arose along the way:

My computer basically fulfills the minimum system requirements (like I said – it’s been a while) and everything seems to run ok-ish, mind the horrendous loading times. This of course prevents me from joining multiplayer. I’ve read that I’m not the only one with such a problem, but since 2.5 is still in beta are there any improvements to be expected or should I start piling up the cash for a new PC?

I have also noticed something strange about the loading times – yesterday for some reason the DCS Launcher couldn’t get online, so I couldn’t log in and DCS started in “offline” mode. To my total amazement loading times went down dramatically – missions, interface, basically everything. It’s probably something known, but could there be a conflict with something else on my computer?

And one last question – I see that there is an “observer mode” in multiplayer but I found conflicting information about it. Is using it allowed, or is it unwanted behavior?

My computer basically fulfills the minimum system requirements (like I said – it’s been a while) and everything seems to run ok-ish, mind the horrendous loading times. This of course prevents me from joining multiplayer. I’ve read that I’m not the only one with such a problem, but since 2.5 is still in beta are there any improvements to be expected or should I start piling up the cash for a new PC?

I have also noticed something strange about the loading times – yesterday for some reason the DCS Launcher couldn’t get online, so I couldn’t log in and DCS started in “offline” mode. To my total amazement loading times went down dramatically – missions, interface, basically everything. It’s probably something known, but could there be a conflict with something else on my computer?

And one last question – I see that there is an “observer mode” in multiplayer but I found conflicting information about it. Is using it allowed, or is it unwanted behavior?

I wouldn't expect things to improve much if you are just playing on a pc that meets the minimum requirements. I would plan on an upgrade.

1) Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card DirectX11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 270X with 2GB VRAM or better; requires internet activation.

Personally, I would find some other game to play if I had that pc. I would upgrade the cpu, mem to 16gb, and video card at least. Probably also get a SSD.

2) I also could not get online for an hour yesterday. I don't think it was just you. But I don't know why it would load faster in offline if you are comparing it to single player. If you are comparing it to multiplayer, then that will always take longer to download the mission, and recently I heard that it has to reload shaders for online missions, which I don't really understand...

3) Nothing wrong with using Observer mode I think. You may have read some guys just wanting those spots open to someone on their Teamspeak who can tell them what they observe from an intel standpoint. Just use common sense. In my opinion, if it's a big mission with 30+ players, they may be organized and trying to use those spots. But if it's just a few guys screwing around on a server, nobody probably cares..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Thank you very much Snacko!

I have the feeling that my problems are being caused almost exclusively by a shortage of RAM. I'll do some testing and if that is indeed the case - it's an easy fix!

Memory is a good place to start. I have a ton of memory and when I am playing only 18gb is being used. If you only have 8gb it has to swap memory to your virtual memory(on your hard drive) which can be very slow.

The game uses about 12gb just on the Main Menu. When I go to an online mission it uses about 18gb.

PS: I'm an old virtual pilot as well. I'll be 59 next month. :thumbup:

1803073799_DCSMemory.thumb.png.d083d12c13a0be82f3c92c45fe809fbd.png

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Thanks again! It's probably RAM, everything else seems to be handling the loads without too much strain.

PS: I'm an old virtual pilot as well. I'll be 59 next month. :thumbup:

You beat me hands down on that one! Barely 40 in May :smartass:

If you upgrade go big enough for vr once you go vr you will not go back. Only time I use the display non vr mode is when testing something out like a new plugin like voice attack or jetseat apps or when trying out new assignments on my hotas.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.